Battlefield 4 (Frostbite 3)

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I dont usually play these sorts of games, military shooters have never been my thing but peer pressure convinced me to grab this one and holy damn am I horrible. Starting off as a Recon/Sniper so far has been a fairly frustrating experience, any tips on how I can make things a bit easier on myself? Once I get some ranks and access to better weapons Im sure things will get better but as a Rank 1 it's pretty painful.
Remove adjustable sights, equip iron sights on first sniper rifle. Get use to take one shot and switch to pistol if it didn't kill them. Than use your spotter binos to rake in the points. 25 points for the spot another 45 if it takes DMG and 250+ if killed. Not bad for zero damage yourself. Also binos are bugged I think they add to light chopper points as well.

Or if you are just terrible with one shot one kill C4 the front of a jeep drive super fast towards a tank, bail out and blow the fuck out of it. AKA Jihaad jeep, good times.
Do this until you get 13k recon points than you get the DMRs semi auto beasts, great for medium range encounters.

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
I havent really messed with the bino's at all but that's a damn good tip. Thanks for that and the previous posts as well. Steep learning curve for me on this but Im having fun (when im not yelling at the pc). Definitely gonna try the Jeep thing if for nothing else than the hilarity of it.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I got to play a whole 15 minutes before I left to see Pearl Jam. I just ran single player to fix my settings, most of which carried over from beta anyway. The 64-bit client had this odd floaty feeling, did anyone else notice something like this? 140 fps in a hallway felt like 10. It then promptly crashed. I tried the 32-bit client instead and it felt fine and ran great. I enjoyed how the first few campaign areas were nice and open, with lots of ways to approach and flank and blow up cover and go off the rails and everything that makes it Not Call of Duty. That said, singleplayerwhocareslol.

One thing I never could decide on in beta is the usefulness of the muzzle break. Using it on weapons with really high recoil could offset the penalty to ADS accuracy but it's a hard thing to judge. I used the SCAR-H with and without it and couldn't make up my mind.

EDIT: Jihad Jeep is old news. Jihad Jet Ski is the new hotness.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Got this downloaded today and played one game of Conquest on hardcore while home at lunch. Was having trouble filtering in battle log for some reason so just picked server with most players.

Good first impression, went 14-5 mostly as recon, if you work with your squad and spot and move you can contribute more to the team. Got several kills with pistol (was surprised then remembered - hardcore) and one death was a twitchy squad member :/

Played with the 64-bit client, worked ok but will compare the other tonight.

Menion_sl

shitlord
I dont usually play these sorts of games, military shooters have never been my thing but peer pressure convinced me to grab this one and holy damn am I horrible. Starting off as a Recon/Sniper so far has been a fairly frustrating experience, any tips on how I can make things a bit easier on myself? Once I get some ranks and access to better weapons Im sure things will get better but as a Rank 1 it's pretty painful.
You can level another class like Engineer or Support to unlock Carbines or Shotguns and use those to level Recon if you really suck at sniping. You can also unlock the DMRs and use them like a combat rifle due to their rapid rate of fire. Once you get 30 kills with a sniper rifle you get the straight back bolt which will allow you to fire multiple rounds without going in and out of the scope sight.

There is also a new mode with BF4 where you can practice with weapons and vechicles. In that mode there is a shooting range with moving targets that you can use to practice sniping.

Naewen_sl

shitlord
Anyone know good organized... uh guilds? Outfits? Not sure what they're called here :p Looking to be a team player!

Also, I was getting horrid stuttering my 2nd match. When I hit 'j' to use /say, I typed in a bunch of shit, but didn't see it. Then at the end of the game it put through all my /say text, like 10 lines lol... No clue whats goin on man!
I'm looking to join up with a group of organized people too. Origin ID is Naewenn

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
BTW, turn OFF AA Post. It decreases performance AND image quality. This is confirmed.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
BTW, turn OFF AA Post. It decreases performance AND image quality. This is confirmed.
On NVIDIA? There should be next to 0 performance hit and at worst a slight blurring of distant textures.

That said, you may as well use MSAA instead because most video cards are sitting at 50% utilization anyway because the engine is so bottlenecked. With so much power left over I imagine MSAA should be pretty much free. The trick is figuring out what settings are wasted GPU power and which actually affect performance. Turning mesh and terrain details down should help on any configuration (and reducing clutter = good anyway)

Pretty visuals are fun and all but in the end what really matters is visibility and framerate. Eventually someone will figure all that shit out and put out a guide.

One annoyance in beta was changing most settings appeared to do absolutely nothing without completely reloading the game. I hope that isn't still the case.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This just about fucking killed me, seems good a place as any to dump it

Column_sl

shitlord
Is anyone playing the campaign?

What happened to the Russian guy in the Wilderness. Did they eat him?? haha

There all starving, and all the sudden hes the only one not to make it out

Also ran into a funny bug in Multiplayer.

Was climbing a ladder, when I got hit by an explosive.
It sent me down the ladder,but when I looked up I saw my body still at the top with no head.

So I was running around the battlefield as just the head, but I could still use all my weapons. I just couldnt see the weapon itself, just the target for it
Confirmed by my teamates in skype that I was also running around as a decapitated head.

I wish I knew what triggered the bug besides the ladder, and the explosion.

Menion_sl

shitlord
Is anyone playing the campaign?

What happened to the Russian guy in the Wilderness. Did they eat him?? haha

There all starving, and all the sudden hes the only one not to make it out
He died in the dam burst. Irish said he didn't make it

Naewen_sl

shitlord
Has anyone noticed their score getting rolled back between matches? I swear it's told me I have been promoted to rank 4 three different times.

schnarkie_sl

shitlord
Trying to get through single player for unlocks. Man this is rough...

For whatever reason some guys are invincible. I fell off the side of the dam and now I can't respawn. I've gone to some checkpoints where my guy just dies when I cross the check point and I have to restart..

Obviously no thought was put into this.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
What's EA's track record on big titles like these and sales. Curious if there's much of a chance of it being in some Black Friday deals in a few weeks , or out of the question.

Xalara

Golden Squire
The Russian guy from Battlefield 3 dies when the gondola gets shot down and lands on the side if the mountain. The amusing part of that scene was I shit down the helicopter that supposedly blows up the gondola...