Battletech

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Figures that right after I make that comment about full salvage being pure luck, my first ever catapult shows up and I get full salvage on it. Except I negotiated the mission for pure c-bills. REEEEEEE

Actually seems to happen every time I negotiate a c-bill contract, there ends up being great mech salvage and I get none of it.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I almost always try to go for 3 parts, minimal randoms, least cash, even when trying to get rep. Money, even being "extravagant", doesn't seem to be a huge issue so far for me. (Just finished the space port story mission after heavy side missioning)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Molten Core Raider
Ok so what the hell. Had a simple mission, secure a small base then defend it from 4 incoming mechs. I did so handily with no real issues at all. I popped the last enemy and Darius comes on the com to congratulate me on our success and that a dropship was on the way. Mission over, I had no control over anything at this point.

The dropship shows up and lands on one of my mechs, destroying it completely and sending the pilot into a 94 day hospital stay......

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

goishen

Macho Ma'am
It says it to you, "Hey, if you keep your mechs here, they're gonna get crushed." Plus there's a little red circle around the dot on the screen.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
You never, ever refer to Darius as Hootie.

It makes him angry

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Molten Core Raider
It says it to you, "Hey, if you keep your mechs here, they're gonna get crushed." Plus there's a little red circle around the dot on the screen.

Maybe Im not paying enough attention but Ive never seen that. The dropship wasn't even part of the mission so being prepared for one while Im still fighting enemies seems weird.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Just had a mission where it was eight vs four. Six to four I can handle. Eight to four, jeezus. All of them were either medium or heavy mechs. Up to about 65 tons. The heaviest mech I have is 65 tons. I mean, it is 3.5 skulls, but jeezus.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So apparently this piece of shit game doesn't autosave during combat. Had a story mission going exceptionally well, had made it most of the way through the mission with no wounds and minimal mech damage and I think I managed full salvage on a dragon, which would have been my first heavy mech. Then the game crashed.

So fucking pissed right now.

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Tactics yo ;p. One thing that can help is if you fight a retreating battle moving cover to cover keeping evasion up and at least 25% cover. Can actually brace if it seems they are focusing one badly. Some maps you need to almost change your lineup. Like 2 snipers would have been better than 3 brawlers on the Ammo Depot story mission I just did.

Also sad, the missions unlocking unlimited mechs are always crappy ones. (Dragon seemed neat till I tried refitting it. Can't seem to make much out of it compared to my grasshopper)

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Right, but who has the missiles for that kind'a long ass battle? I mean, I have maybe 8 volleys of LRM's, but that's it. I have had battles before where I had to send my sniper in to melee them,, but that was with only like one or two left, and that was out of seven, two of of which were Cicada's.

Rime

<Donor>
Skull rating is really messed up... Total tonnage for my squad is around 200t. Two Skull mission. Total enemy weight (all at once - not reinforcements) was 345t... and at least 4 turrets.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also sad, the missions unlocking unlimited mechs are always crappy ones. (Dragon seemed neat till I tried refitting it. Can't seem to make much out of it compared to my grasshopper)

Still woulda been my first heavy.

Anyway feels like you should just always negotiate for full salvage unless you're desperate for money to upgrade the argo or in danger of not being able to make payroll. Guarantees you don't miss valuable mech salvage (like that catapult I missed) and the money from selling completed mechs you'll never use should keep the c-bills rolling in.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
I dont know how far along many of you are in the story missions, but keep going up until you get to three skull missions if you can handle it. I won't spolier it but trust me, the reward is worth it.

I just roll straight salvage now. You can make a lot more money just selling back the mechs you loot, especially when youre running 4-4.5 skulls as I am. Granted, I'm dropping 375 tons now (Atlas, King Crab, Highlander, Stalker) but im up to like 15 mill now and I never take cash from the missions.

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Any extra advice for salvaging a whole mech. Initially i was trying to double leg. I need to revisit now that i have called shot 2, but early what usually would happen is side/center torso would blow from misses before the legs (especially hitting ammo)

So Lately I've been trying like mass missile knockdown + killing a side torso, that's 2 wounds, Usually then reknockdown via a leg kill or blowing another side for 3 wounds, but by that point pretty good chance of CT popping even on heavier mechs.

I might try a machine gun boat because Ive noticed a lot of head hits with small weapons, meanwhile LRM40 with 16% chance to called shot to head and I havnt gotten shit for hits ever.
I'd suggest not aiming at the side torso for captures because anything that would otherwise go to that arm or the side torso instead goes to center as natural focused fire which as you've noted kills it. Raw stability damage for the first takedown at least. Then you can try for a stability and side torso knockout on the SECOND volley so the damage doesnt have time to be directed to the CT.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
i took the day off at work to play this

i'm going to skip a lot of stuff in favor of fielding mechs that excel at kicking legs

• 1Like

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
For the people talking abut skull ratings. Those can actually in some cases be deceiving and are meant to be by design. To gauge the actual difficulty (and what tonnage mechs you may be engaging} you have to combine the skull rating plus client intel with what darius says. His blurb isn't just flavor text. So it is intentional, if odd, that a 2.5 skull with Darius saying something about this mission not being what it appears to be is actually much harder then a 3.5 skull mission that he calls a milk run.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
These bastards cannot offer me enough credit for any 'guard' mission. Fuck that noise especially when trying to protect things that are seemingly made out of graham crackers and frosting.

• 2Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yah, fuck'a whole bunch'a that bullshit.

I once had a mission like that, it was me vs. 3 other lances. Granted, they were mostly smaller mechs. Cicada's and Panthers, with a good dose of Locusts. I just couldn't take them down quickly enough. It was constantly moving for evasion, shooting at one, while the other three worked on the buildings. Eventually I just failed it, and got a good faith payment.