Battletech

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Why does Mechwarrior Online have to be such a sack of shit? Whens that new Mercenaries game coming out anyway =\

MechWarrior 5 is going to be made by... the same guys who make Mechwarrior Online.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
MechWarrior 5 is going to be made by... the same guys who make Mechwarrior Online.

Yea but the game itself isn't the problem with Mechwarrior Online. It's them wanting to insert their gigantic f2p cock directly in to my wallet with their 20$/mech garbage.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I bought this on a whim last night because I thought XCom was pretty decent and this seems similar. I didn’t get past the character creator and their pronoun bullshit. I know it’s petty but fuck that noise, refunded.

• 3Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
the difficulty levels seem to swing wildly in the early game. Still in the 1 - 2 skull range but had a 1.5 skull ambush convoy mission where it was 2 light 2 med plus 4 armored vehicles all at once then a 2 skull occupy base mission where 4 light mechs walked at me single file and the 4 vehicles waited until I occupied the base to show up and were all stuck on the wrong side of a mountain.

The AI is really bad in this game, it seems to consistently move to its own disadvantage

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
the difficulty levels seem to swing wildly in the early game. Still in the 1 - 2 skull range but had a 1.5 skull ambush convoy mission where it was 2 light 2 med plus 4 armored vehicles all at once then a 2 skull occupy base mission where 4 light mechs walked at me single file and the 4 vehicles waited until I occupied the base to show up and were all stuck on the wrong side of a mountain.

The AI is really bad in this game, it seems to consistently move to its own disadvantage

I´ve noticed you can really fuck with the vehicle AI when there is a cliff or some other obstacle that the vehicles cant drive over. Had a mission with a couple of those 2x AC 20 tanks and I just played rope-a-dope with them. They were on a cliff above me and one of my mechs was in range to be shot with the AC 20s so they moved towards the edge of the cliff to fire. I then moved that mech in range from the cliff top further away and the tanks started going around the cliff to get to me. Once the tanks had moved once, I moved my mech back where it was and they came trundling back up to the cliff edge as it was in range again. I just kept them moving back and forth like that while I dealt with the actual enemy mechs.

As to the other comment about the end game being stale, I agree. I´ve got full assault mechs, full ++/+++ weapons on them and griding the same 5 skull missions over and over got old real fast. Here´s to hoping the expansion/DLC breathes some life back into what is still one of the best games I´ve played in a while.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
the end game being stale

The game is already over at that point, it just happens to have a sandbox mode that lets you keep dicking around. It's like if the SR games let you keep going on randomly generated shadowruns after the story was done.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I´ve noticed you can really fuck with the vehicle AI when there is a cliff or some other obstacle that the vehicles cant drive over. Had a mission with a couple of those 2x AC 20 tanks and I just played rope-a-dope with them. They were on a cliff above me and one of my mechs was in range to be shot with the AC 20s so they moved towards the edge of the cliff to fire. I then moved that mech in range from the cliff top further away and the tanks started going around the cliff to get to me. Once the tanks had moved once, I moved my mech back where it was and they came trundling back up to the cliff edge as it was in range again. I just kept them moving back and forth like that while I dealt with the actual enemy mechs.

As to the other comment about the end game being stale, I agree. I´ve got full assault mechs, full ++/+++ weapons on them and griding the same 5 skull missions over and over got old real fast. Here´s to hoping the expansion/DLC breathes some life back into what is still one of the best games I´ve played in a while.
I need to start moving and positioning more strategically once the shit starts. I managed to nab the pirate lady's heavy mech that shows up in the first story encounter with a lucky headshot and I've been using that to just stomp on the vehicles so far. Keep having those LRM strikers roll right up to its feet, miss on about 85% of their missile and then just get one shot stomped my next turn.

I really need to work on loadouts as well, I'm definitely hamstringing myself in that department. I'd been rolling stock loadouts my first game and that really started to hurt me in the 2-3 skull range. I'm guessing that it's a bit like EVE where I'm wanting everything hitting at about the same optimal range and not the short/medium/long range crap that everything seems to come stock with?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
Well most long range weapons definitely have a minimum range penalty so yeah. FYI if you mouseover each weapon after selecting a target it will show you what the hit modifiers are.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
With a bit of careful pillaging and lucky spawns (2 orions in my last mission) and doing the star league castle finally, my lance has moved up to a Grasshopper melee critter for me, the highlander for my 2cnd tank, an orion for my missile boat, and a second grasshopper for my scout. Life is getting better armed, but apparently to the point that its making full-salvaging Orions difficult... :p

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What does your scout actually do for you? I see folk mention it but I'm not sure what the purpose is other than early on a really fast light sensor locking etc.

Even on 5 stars now I mostly roll a death ball where my brawlers are not very far ahead of my 2 snipers. Especially using terrain this lets me kinda juggle them a bit and let me take some damage on my missile highlander/stalker and not everything on the 2 brawlers. (I can't imagine having just one "tank" mech unless the crabs etc are that much more tough than even the highlander)

I've stopped sensor locking unless to get a vehicle at long range a taste of lrm, in a rare while I'll use it on something with 4-5 points but I usually try to shoot focus easier targets then deal with high evasion by melee them unstable or worst sometimes multitarget to get 2-3 points of a few mechs. Especially late, your skill tends to be so high that 2-3 evasion is not a huge problem, fire your weaker options on it once before moving to your kill or knockdown choices.

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Well sensor locking for using my LRMS to pick off turrets from out of range and smash down things I dont wanna get close to for whatever reason is sort of the point. Earlier days I didnt want to let a hunchback get a shot off at me, nowadays I dont wanna talk to demolishers or give shreks a free round while I close to visual etc.

Sludig

Guess I'm confused. Visual is so long unless you bungle move order should be able to move a brawler into visual 90% of the time then ifyou have 2 snipers should be no problem killing any turret or vehicle. Usually only need 1. Youll outrange normally anything other than a sniper turret, and since they act last you got time to focus them. At worst you get some light peppering by indirect lrms and you should be rocking 2-4 evasion, maybe cover, maybe + to hit you gyros.

If they are outside visual, killing their only unit in range also works well to prevent fire at you. In some cases.

Demolishers and srm boat are scary but you can usually see tonnage and guess what they are and just have to spend a turn to address before returning to forcibly salvaging mechs.

I guess my question is what makes someone consider something a scout. I suspect the issue is really semantics and something being a scout is more about having the skill than build choice. Obviously folk not running mediums I guess. Grasshopper with mgs and lasers I guess is semantics between being called a scout or brawler. Thing is borderline an assault. I did drop it for 4 assaults and 3 of them act in heavy initiative. And ill just move the brawler before the snipers of the 3.

I have sensor lock on half my team i just rarely use it, most commonly when overheating. 1/4 is a lot of firepower to give up if used regularly.

Finally got a cataphract and was disapointed in fitting,not sure if there are other variants?

• 1Like

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
My grasshopper scout is designated as a scout mainly by virtue of the pilot having sensor lock and having decent speed and jump. Weapon-wise it runs a PPC and LRM5 for range, 2 medium lasers and 6 machineguns for the up close and personal touch. I scout to locate the enemy and sensor lock them for the missile boat and we stay out of direct weapon combat as long as possible so the missile boat can work. Once direct fire becomes inevitable or desirable then I go in with the other grasshopper and get punchy.

Sludig

Drop the lrm for srm 4 with ++stabil dmg making sure to max jj and armor and thats how i fit mine too. Just much more aggressive in playstyle. I suspect you run far more lrm ammo whittling that way. I'll carry less ammo and actually get so close minimum range ie almost a problem if running a noob pilot. So aggressive death ball.

I still wish i could have gotten lucky mid game, 2 grasshopper and 2 thunderbolt or other lrm boat would have been hot.

Surprise admission.... i don't run gauss. If you look at stats it's basically a heavier and little better ac10. I usually care about stability more than raw dmg. I have a +++ ac 10 that i would use before the gause. Maybe that rumored balance patch might nerf lrms enough to use other stuff.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Drop the lrm for srm 4 with ++stabil dmg making sure to max jj and armor and thats how i fit mine too. Just much more aggressive in playstyle. I suspect you run far more lrm ammo whittling that way. I'll carry less ammo and actually get so close minimum range ie almost a problem if running a noob pilot. So aggressive death ball.

I still wish i could have gotten lucky mid game, 2 grasshopper and 2 thunderbolt or other lrm boat would have been hot.

Surprise admission.... i don't run gauss. If you look at stats it's basically a heavier and little better ac10. I usually care about stability more than raw dmg. I have a +++ ac 10 that i would use before the gause. Maybe that rumored balance patch might nerf lrms enough to use other stuff.

AC20s and the Gauss Rifle are the only weapons that hit hard enough to destroy a fully armored head in a single shot and with breaching shot can do it even on a guarded mech. The Gauss Rifle also has the advantage of being able to outrange most of the more dangerous return fire.

Sludig

Ppc can too, ive gotten several mechs with a single ppc shot. Maybe not max armor or a crit or something.

I might experiment trying to headshot with gauss and 18% but i feel like not reliable and liable to blow it to bits first.

Outrange return fire? On table yes, but Covered here in recent pages is this games problem with not really providing a really long range game when a medium laser reaches most of spotting distance. Most hard hitting things reach that far except ac20.

So avoiding fire to me is more about blocking terrain and focus firing one mech a turn that is exposed.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
A fully armored head on a heavy or assault mech has more than 50 hp, so unless something else damaged it or it started without full armor, a single PPC shot will not take out a head.

*edit*

On the subject of single vs dual tanks, my experience has been that as dumb as the AI is it still tends to focus on a single target so a second tank would really just be a second close range mech. Which is fine as long as one of your close range mechs can provide sensor locks for the two long range mechs.

Would be funny if you could get enough double heat sinks to run a full lance of medium to short range mechs and just try to brute force your way through missions.

Sludig

Im thinking of heavies id shot. I was feeling like 45 or 50 was default for head soccer that'sall i remember in mech lab. My ppc is ++ though too.