Battletech

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Eh unfortunately despite my willingness to put my money where my mouth is I can't disagree as I have only been burned by KS and that is by two of the most successful fundraising campaigns to date: Star Citizen (wanted Freelancer 2 and for it to actually come out, lolnope) and Hex (wanted it to be not shit and include the puzzle/dungeon PvE feature within three years, lolnope). I've also put money into Crowfall, though, so maybe they'll charge my luck.

I thought about buying into this for at least the $125 but they can earn my money first. Fool me four times...

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Supporting bad business practices because swag is sadness.
If you are comfortable with the risk associated it doesn't matter. If you didn't know you might support vaporware/shitware then never put your money into it. But I for one have been waiting for years for a battletech game, and if I can get a game made by pledging my preorder, and some Btech swag that doesn't otherwise get sold then that is acceptable to me. I will be disappointed if a sour game comes out, but I won't be angry. This game won't get made with these people any other way. Stackpole wrote some of my favorite Btech books, I'm optimistic for this and glad to throw in what I can/want to.

Sulrn

Deuces
That's the thing though. This game could be made without your preorder solidifying its existence.

It probably wouldn't though because HBS is risk averse and cares less about making games than it does staying in the black. Even though there are other ways to do that besides making your customers keep you there on good faith. You're saying that you're starved for a mech game and are willing to pay for it to be developed by people who want to produce it less than you do. You don't see the issues with that?

because HBS is risk averse and cares less about making games than it does staying in the black.
Uhh yeah, because if you aren't in the black you cannot make games (unless you are 4 dudes working in the basement after the day job).

- for the past decade+ virtually no publishers have risked backing turn-based RPGs
- HBS targeted an under served market, and has become extremely successful at doing so
- their products are good - especially considering the price - Dragonfall and Hong Kong base price was $15 bucks for the full game, before Steam sales

Honestly, if you are a successful company, serving a niche market, and your customers are quite happy paying in advance for a product they probably otherwise wouldn't get ... you'd have to be a 38 studios level fucking moron at business not to take the money in advance.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Three ish days left on this. Theyve made it to the 2.15 million dollar stretch goal

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
That's the thing though. This game could be made without your preorder solidifying its existence.

It probably wouldn't though because HBS is risk averse and cares less about making games than it does staying in the black. Even though there are other ways to do that besides making your customers keep you there on good faith. You're saying that you're starved for a mech game and are willing to pay for it to be developed by people who want to produce it less than you do. You don't see the issues with that?
Nope, and I would have bought the "collectors edition" regardless because Battletech. I mean, I get what you are saying, but I think this studio has proven itself (at least to me) and can make a good game. If I have to preorder the CE through kickstarter or through their store is irrelevant to me. I can not blame them for going the way they have done at least twice before if that makes it easier for them, works for me, apparently works for them.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Uhh yeah, because if you aren't in the black you cannot make games (unless you are 4 dudes working in the basement after the day job).

- for the past decade+ virtually no publishers have risked backing turn-based RPGs
- HBS targeted an under served market, and has become extremely successful at doing so
- their products are good - especially considering the price - Dragonfall and Hong Kong base price was $15 bucks for the full game, before Steam sales

Honestly, if you are a successful company, serving a niche market, and your customers are quite happy paying in advance for a product they probably otherwise wouldn't get ... you'd have to be a 38 studios level fucking moron at business not to take the money in advance.
Although I agree it's become common to treat crowdfunding like a very rich preorder/pre-sales metric, I'd have to say turn-based has actually made more of a comeback in recent years. X-Com, Civ even RPGs that aren't Japanese have brought the scene back.

As far as games go I've backed Shadowrun, Wasteland2, PoE and Grim Dawn and I haven't been burned yet so YMMV. I definitely get the crowdfunding fatigue if you're sitting there waiting for an MMO Freelancer out of SC tho.

• 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The game has reached its final stretch goal with 28 hours to go. PVP multiplayer is in, any excess cash is going towards polishing the features already present.

If you've been holding off to back it to see if it would be successful first, well, now is your last chance to do so.

Krag

Peasant
Personally I just wanted the last campaign stretch goals reached and don't really care much about the PvP, but I gather that quite a few MechWarrior fans wanted that badly, so I'm happy they hit it in the end.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I just wanted the PVP options so I could at least consider possibly going lance versus lance with friends. No idea if it will be decent or not.

Fadaar

That guy
But does he have a creed?
1349633011941.png

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
This made me do my first kickstarter, and also watch the Battletech cartoon from 1994.

So many fond memories of playing the original Mechwarrior. House Davion and the Federated Suns forever.

Fuck it, I'm in. 0/4 on KS, let's make it 0/5!
What are people backing that don't get delivered? MMOGs by companies with no track record?

I have yet to back a failed KS. So far:

- Wasteland 2
- Shadowrun Returns (which also included Dragonfall)
- Shadowrun Hong Kong
- Pillars of Eternity
- Grim Dawn (in Steam beta now)

Still waiting, but pretty sure these aren't going to fail:

- Torment: Tides of Numenera (company has already delivered 1 KS game)
- Bard's Tale 4 (company has already delivered 1 KS game)
- Battletech (company has already delivered 3 KS games)

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
To be fair, it's entirely stuff that has not delivered in a timely fashion, they could still make it. The only one I don't actually consider failed yet (to meet anything reasonably near their deadlines) is Crowfall. The rest like Hex and SC have just turned into a boondoggle. Maybe I should give Hex half credit for just being a terrible client and without most of the features they promised.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Backed at the last minute, got a buddy to as well. If I'm going to lose my KS virginity, it might as well be to something like this.