Beach Honeymoon Destinations?

Loftish

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm getting married next year and my fiancee and I would like to go on a beach vacation for our honeymoon. We've briefly discussed Hawaii, but my personal vote right now is for the Maldives as I've heard some great trip reports about vacations there.

I'd love to hear of some people's favorite beach vacations or honeymoon destinations. We have a couple months before I need to get serious about booking the flights/hotels. I have a boatload of airline miles, so the cost of flights won't really be an issue.

Thanks!

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
When is the honeymoon? That's going to really change things as winter is different times in various locations. If you're going in January, I totally think you should go to Tahiti (Moorea or Bora Bora) or Costa Rica (Quepos) as they are very warm during those times.

Senaiel

Silver Knight of the Realm
Did my honeyhoneymoon in moorea and bora bora. If you have the money for that, I would definitely recommend it if looking for something that's not so americanized. Wife and I stayed at the sofitel on both islands, and I would highly recommend either. The sofitel private island in bora bora is a bit more expensive than the bora bora main island but totally worth it.

Loftish

Lord Nagafen Raider
When is the honeymoon? That's going to really change things as winter is different times in various locations. If you're going in January, I totally think you should go to Tahiti (Moorea or Bora Bora) or Costa Rica (Quepos) as they are very warm during those times.
August 2015

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Hmm...August, I may recommend somewhere in Italy or Spain. Santorini or Taormina are beautiful spots.

Senaiel

Silver Knight of the Realm
Went to French polynesia in late September last year, august is considered a fine time to go. Considering the high is only 6 to 7 degrees different all year. The lagoons keep the water plenty warm. Plus you are super unlikely to get rained out in August.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Koh Samui Thailand was fantastic. I didn't go there for a honeymoon, but the resort we stayed at was probably the most romantic and private location I've ever been, and I've been to probably every island in the Caribbean. Even better, at $400 a night the room/service beat anything I've ever encountered at a more expensive hotel in the Caribbean or Latin America. I'm talking your own private bungalow overlooking the sea from a hillside, with an outdoor soaking tub, private swimming pool, and concierge service.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
If a long flight is an issue, I enjoyed staying at Excellence in Riviera Maya in Mexico. Awesome service, 6-7 restaraunts on premises, and the best part is NO SHITTY KIDS. Just make sure to book the first floor so you can have breakfast served in your back yard while you fuck on a hammock.

If a long flight isnt an issue, the rest of this thread is full of awesome.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ok lets section this off kind,

are you gonna stay at the beach 24/7? are you guys like beach lovers? do you love to sit in the sun? do snorkling? beach stuff.

are you interested in just a hotel or an all inclusive resort?

do you want to be sectioned off from families? meaning annoying kids.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Koh Samui Thailand was fantastic. I didn't go there for a honeymoon, but the resort we stayed at was probably the most romantic and private location I've ever been, and I've been to probably every island in the Caribbean. Even better, at $400 a night the room/service beat anything I've ever encountered at a more expensive hotel in the Caribbean or Latin America. I'm talking your own private bungalow overlooking the sea from a hillside, with an outdoor soaking tub, private swimming pool, and concierge service.
Name of resort? Appears to be a few.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'm a bit of a beach lover, and have been to beaches from Hawaii, Fiji, Bora Bora, Thailand, Bali, Philippines, Malaysia, Seychelles, Turks & Caicos, etc.... pretty much everywhere (except the Maldives) - it would help if you gave a budget and time frame - for example, for me personally its not worth the trip to SE Asia unless you're there for 2 weeks. Others may disagree, but the last time I was in Ko Tao - we were there 10 days and it wasn't enough time. However, you can easily pop over to something like St Croix and stay 5-7 nights and have time to "get in a groove". If money and time is no object, I'd say the Seychelles - perhaps the best place I've ever stayed/best beach as well. My now wife and I went a few years ago and stayed at the 4 Seasons. It was expensive, but they have a stunning private beach and its well worth the $$.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Tongsai Bay. Absolutely fantastic. I seriously can't come up with a single negative about the place. But like Springbok says, you need more than a week. I spent 8 days at Tongsai Bay and finished it up with 3 days in Bangkok on the way back and it was perfect.

Tongsai Bay Cottages Hotel (Ko Samui/Bophut) - Resort Reviews - TripAdvisor
250.00 a day in June...fuck yeah. I need to look at the weather down there but summer in thailand is looking like the next place we go. Thanks man.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
250.00 a day in June...fuck yeah. I need to look at the weather down there but summer in thailand is looking like the next place we go. Thanks man.
If you end up going PM me, I can give you a few suggestions for great restaurants/places on the island, though to be honest the resort was so fantastic we only left it twice. You can literally bang away by your own private pool and nobody can see you, and the meals are so fresh they put out a fresh honeycomb taken from their own beehive each morning for breakfast..

But yeah, the flight part is the only expensive/painful part of the trip. Once you get there you can live like a king at a fraction of the cost of North American resorts.

Vinen

God is dead
Hmm...August, I may recommend somewhere in Italy or Spain. Santorini or Taormina are beautiful spots.
Talks about Italy or Spain.
Recommends Greece and Italy.

Santorini felt fake to me. Not as bad as Mykonos though.
I'd recommend one of the smaller islands like Ios or Amorgos.

I'm amazed Kuriin didn't recommend Mykonos though
smile.png
Major gay hangout.

Loftish

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ok lets section this off kind,

are you gonna stay at the beach 24/7? are you guys like beach lovers? do you love to sit in the sun? do snorkling? beach stuff.

are you interested in just a hotel or an all inclusive resort?

do you want to be sectioned off from families? meaning annoying kids.
I could lay on a beach 24/7, but she's more inclined to want at least some other activities to do. Overall, we're focused on a relaxing honeymoon; we're not trying to have a busy schedule full of sightseeing. Koh Samui sounds like our kind of place.

I'm open to all inclusive resorts, but the location is most important to us, so hotel vs. all inclusive would be secondary.

No kids would be preferable, but it's wouldn't be a deal breaker if the place isn't couples only.

Loftish

Lord Nagafen Raider
Talks about Italy or Spain.
Recommends Greece and Italy.

Santorini felt fake to me. Not as bad as Mykonos though.
I'd recommend one of the smaller islands like Ios or Amorgos.

I'm amazed Kuriin didn't recommend Mykonos though
smile.png
Major gay hangout.
When we first started discussing potential honeymoon destinations, the Greek Islands were one of the first places that came up and it's still fairly high on our list. From what I've read, the islands are fantastic, but the beaches themselves aren't that great. As in, they're kind of rocky, not great for hanging out at all day. Of course, I'm sure we could find an acceptable beach or two somewhere on the islands!

Vinen

God is dead
When we first started discussing potential honeymoon destinations, the Greek Islands were one of the first places that came up and it's still fairly high on our list. From what I've read, the islands are fantastic, but the beaches themselves aren't that great. As in, they're kind of rocky, not great for hanging out at all day. Of course, I'm sure we could find an acceptable beach or two somewhere on the islands!
It should also be noted that the water in the Aegean Sea is cold. It is not a warm area. So if you want to get in the water... I'd recommend elsewhere. Unless you enjoy frozen dick.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Haha, sorry. Geography /fail. :p I meant Barcelona for Spain. But, Santorini and Taormina were my two picks.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Personally I love Hawaii. I've been to most of the common places in the Caribbean and Mexico and I was most impressed with Hawaii.