Best All Inclusive's

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Hey all. So, as dd as it may sound, I've never truly taken a vacation and I've never seen the ocean. It's top of my list of things to do before I'm 40...I'm 38 now.

I don't have a ton of money but I'd like to take my wife somewhere nice for a late honeymoon. I'd like to stay in the $2k and under range. I've seen and got some great feedback on some in Mexico for 5 days and $1600, but thought I'd ask here for opinions.

If you have some that are a it more that's fine too, just trying to get ideas.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lurkus Maximus

Trakanon Raider
Just got back from one in Cancun earlier this year. It was fun and the service was excellent, but it actually ended up being pretty expensive doing all the touristy shit outside of the resort or getting drinks/food anywhere else. Also, you can't walk down the beach or pretty much anywhere without being absolutely bombarded by people trying to sell junk to tourists.

I've heard good things about Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. I've never been myself, but there are tons of places online and I've always heard good reviews.

My personal recommendation would be Costa Rica. If you're not in a hurry to book, join up for the email deals on a site called Gate1 travel and wait for this one to go on sale: https://www.gate1travel.com/latin-a...ive/costa-rica-fly-drive-idd6dcrpbaifd19.aspx It flies out of Ft. Lauderdale, so you have to get yourself there, but if you wait for the sale, you get the flights, car rental, and 5 nights at a great all-inclusive right on the beach for either $550 or $600 per person. There's a ton of stuff to do in Costa Rica with the car if you're outdoorsy at all-hikes, waterfalls, volcanoes, etc...and it's really easy to get around even if you've never driven outside of the US. Plus if you do stop for a drink outside of the resort, it won't cost you $12 for a beer. I can't recommend it enough. I've gone a few times and never been disappointed. If you're interested I can give you tips on where to go and what to see.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Just got back from one in Cancun earlier this year. It was fun and the service was excellent, but it actually ended up being pretty expensive doing all the touristy shit outside of the resort or getting drinks/food anywhere else. Also, you can't walk down the beach or pretty much anywhere without being absolutely bombarded by people trying to sell junk to tourists.

I've heard good things about Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. I've never been myself, but there are tons of places online and I've always heard good reviews.

My personal recommendation would be Costa Rica. If you're not in a hurry to book, join up for the email deals on a site called Gate1 travel and wait for this one to go on sale: 6 Day Costa Rica Pacific Beach All Inclusive Fly & Drive It flies out of Ft. Lauderdale, so you have to get yourself there, but if you wait for the sale, you get the flights, car rental, and 5 nights at a great all-inclusive right on the beach for either $550 or $600 per person. There's a ton of stuff to do in Costa Rica with the car if you're outdoorsy at all-hikes, waterfalls, volcanoes, etc...and it's really easy to get around even if you've never driven outside of the US. Plus if you do stop for a drink outside of the resort, it won't cost you $12 for a beer. I can't recommend it enough. I've gone a few times and never been disappointed. If you're interested I can give you tips on where to go and what to see.

A good friend of mine went to Cancun too and he loved it though he didn't go out of the resort and I wonly would to see some of the ruins. Here's where he went and it looks great.

Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya

The prices you gave for costa rica seem great I doub tI ever would have thought of there and I'd like to do more than just sit on a beach while I'm going whereever we are going. How far from the ocean was it and what side were you on? I can't say I'm not keen on the meal restrictions, I'm sure I'll be full but I'm a fatty and on vacation I would like to eat and snack whenever I wanted. Was it an issue?

Lurkus Maximus

Trakanon Raider
Don't get me wrong. Cancun was awesome, and the service at the resort was probably some of the best I've ever had. But I went with a rich friend of mine and somehow ended up blowing through about 1,500 bucks in under a week at what should have been basically a free vacation. Oh, one more thing to mention with that is they completely bait and switch you if you're trying to rent a car there. What was supposed to be a cheap car rental basically ended up costing me almost 200 more after I was told they had to buy Mexican insurance. And they started haggling at $400 extra so you know it was a sham. Getting around there is also fairly easy, but you WILL get stopped as an American driving a rental car, so make sure you don't have anything on you, and even if you're clean, I was told by the hosts at the resort that most of the local cops will require a bribe before they let you go. That's just hearsay though, so don't take that as gospel.

The Best Western Jaco is literally built on the beach. Jaco USED to be a major surf destination, but apparently the big waves have moved down the coast a bit, so you now have just a gorgeous, unspoiled stretch of white sand. They have three bars there and the main one we spent time at is maybe 5 steps from the sand. It's on the Pacific side, but if you want to head over to the Caribbean for a day trip, it's a fairly easy drive. Concerning driving there, I actually would recommend NOT getting the upgraded car-you want a manual transmission just because some of the roads can be pretty steep. Concerning the food, it sounds a little off-putting from the description, but you can get food whenever you want. They just have their main mealtimes (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and then have snacks set out at all hours like burgers, hot dogs, chicken tenders, that sort of thing. I've only been to a handful of all inclusives, but that seems to be pretty much the standard. I'm a 3 plates minimum at the buffet kind of guy and I never went hungry there. The food is nothing special, but it's decent enough. You can get some pretty great street food at little markets and such for cheap on your day trips though. We usually do fishing charters and you can just take your catch to pretty much any local restaurant and get one of the best seafood meals of your life too. I'd recommend a group called Quepos fishing adventures if that's something you'd be interested in. You can usually get them down to a few hundred bucks for a full day charter and they really know their shit.

Oh, just an FYI, it does help to know at least a bit of Spanish, but it is in no way required, especially on the resort where everyone speaks English. I'm starting to sound like a shill for CR, but it really is one of my favorite quick vacations.

Quick edit: Hotel Best Western Jacó Beach in Costa Rica the website for the hotel. I know Best Western doesn't sound like a luxury joint, and it's not, but it's definitely a lot better than you think of when you hear best western.

• 1Like

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We’ve done the excellence playa mujeres a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Beach is quiet and no kids allowed.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Don't get me wrong. Cancun was awesome, and the service at the resort was probably some of the best I've ever had. But I went with a rich friend of mine and somehow ended up blowing through about 1,500 bucks in under a week at what should have been basically a free vacation. Oh, one more thing to mention with that is they completely bait and switch you if you're trying to rent a car there. What was supposed to be a cheap car rental basically ended up costing me almost 200 more after I was told they had to buy Mexican insurance. And they started haggling at $400 extra so you know it was a sham. Getting around there is also fairly easy, but you WILL get stopped as an American driving a rental car, so make sure you don't have anything on you, and even if you're clean, I was told by the hosts at the resort that most of the local cops will require a bribe before they let you go. That's just hearsay though, so don't take that as gospel.

The Best Western Jaco is literally built on the beach. Jaco USED to be a major surf destination, but apparently the big waves have moved down the coast a bit, so you now have just a gorgeous, unspoiled stretch of white sand. They have three bars there and the main one we spent time at is maybe 5 steps from the sand. It's on the Pacific side, but if you want to head over to the Caribbean for a day trip, it's a fairly easy drive. Concerning driving there, I actually would recommend NOT getting the upgraded car-you want a manual transmission just because some of the roads can be pretty steep. Concerning the food, it sounds a little off-putting from the description, but you can get food whenever you want. They just have their main mealtimes (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and then have snacks set out at all hours like burgers, hot dogs, chicken tenders, that sort of thing. I've only been to a handful of all inclusives, but that seems to be pretty much the standard. I'm a 3 plates minimum at the buffet kind of guy and I never went hungry there. The food is nothing special, but it's decent enough. You can get some pretty great street food at little markets and such for cheap on your day trips though. We usually do fishing charters and you can just take your catch to pretty much any local restaurant and get one of the best seafood meals of your life too. I'd recommend a group called Quepos fishing adventures if that's something you'd be interested in. You can usually get them down to a few hundred bucks for a full day charter and they really know their shit.

Oh, just an FYI, it does help to know at least a bit of Spanish, but it is in no way required, especially on the resort where everyone speaks English. I'm starting to sound like a shill for CR, but it really is one of my favorite quick vacations.

Quick edit: Hotel Best Western Jacó Beach in Costa Rica the website for the hotel. I know Best Western doesn't sound like a luxury joint, and it's not, but it's definitely a lot better than you think of when you hear best western.

So it's gonna sound dumb...but I really want to see blue ocean like from the movies and shit. Can I get that on the pacific side there?

Lurkus Maximus

Trakanon Raider
So it's gonna sound dumb...but I really want to see blue ocean like from the movies and shit. Can I get that on the pacific side there?

Lol. Not dumb at all...but sadly that's more on the Caribbean side. The Pacific is gorgeous, but for the crystal blue waters, you have to take a drive to the other side and hope for a nice sunny day. The best way I can think to describe the Pacific side is one time when we were heading out on the boat we looked back and my first thought was "I would almost bet this is where they filmed the panoramic shots for Jurassic Park as they approach the island."

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah some of those pics looked insane, so much lush green tropical forest and the volcano looks awesome. Knowing my luck it would erupt, but still awesome none the less. lol

Bummer about the blue ocean. It's just always been a dream of mine, if it had that I'd probably be all over it.

Lurkus Maximus

Trakanon Raider
I wish I could find some pics on this computer, but if you just google image Jaco beach or Quepos you'll get a good feel for it. You CAN get those crystal blue images you're looking for, but it really does need to be perfect conditions. Definitely a better chance of that in somewhere like Mexico or anywhere in the Caribbean. Even then though, if the weather doesn't cooperate for a few days, you're shit out of luck and pissed off lol. I would still recommend CR as the best value for the money by far, and overall just a better experience compared to most of the countries I've been.

• 1Like

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ocean shot from November

62B9CF02-761C-4506-B8B1-06FCBFD3B04E.jpeg

• 1Like

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I just came here to post this.

Edit : I guess timecodes don't work on here, skip to like 1 min mark.

Pollo

Silver Knight of the Realm
A good friend of mine went to Cancun too and he loved it though he didn't go out of the resort and I wonly would to see some of the ruins. Here's where he went and it looks great.

Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya

The prices you gave for costa rica seem great I doub tI ever would have thought of there and I'd like to do more than just sit on a beach while I'm going whereever we are going. How far from the ocean was it and what side were you on? I can't say I'm not keen on the meal restrictions, I'm sure I'll be full but I'm a fatty and on vacation I would like to eat and snack whenever I wanted. Was it an issue?

I’ve stayed there for 5 days a couple of years ago. It’s closer to Playa del Carmen than Cancun but that’s a good thing. My wife and I enjoyed our stay and we would go back again. Since it’s adults only, no kids running around making fucking noise. Mainly middle aged folks getting hammered pool side and around the many bars. My only issue was that they hid the top shelf booze and you had to ask for it specifically. It’s full on all inclusive with no upselling bullshit (other than a premium booze package delivered to your room.) Room service was decent and the restaurants are decent too. Honestly, for the price the Valentin is a solid choice.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
There are some good value all-inclusives on Jamaica (Montego Bay, Negril) and Negril has a beautiful beach and warm clear water. If I had to do an all inclusive, I would recommend that wholeheartedly on your budget.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I just came here to post this.

Edit : I guess timecodes don't work on here, skip to like 1 min mark.

I appreciate a Bill Burr post, but none of this is about cruise ships.

I've only stayed at one all-inclusive and I really enjoyed it. I stayed at Barcelo Maya. It wasn't cheap, but that's also because I went for three-day Phish concert on the beach. So that obviously dramatically increased the price. I took a day trip down to Tulum and I would have stayed there for a couple days if I had the time. So awesome and so cheap. Some of the best tacos I've ever had and they were 50 cents a piece.

Pic I took from the ruins of Tulum. You definitely get the teal Caribbean water.

53016258_10156075767856218_5873150855661748224_o.jpg

Milrop

Trakanon Raider
Would highly recommend Hotel Xcaret in Riveria Maya, Mexico - about an hour south of Cancun. The resort is quite new, opened in December 2017, and is owned by the operator of a large group of natural parks in the region. Favorably, staying at the hotel includes free entry to all of the parks owned by the Xcaret Group (entry costs for non-guests start at ~$70/pp), so you aren’t stuck spending your whole trip on the resort grounds.

I will say that the resort does not have a huge, impressive beach, although it is on oceanfront property. I didn’t mind this due to the fact that is surrounded by a beautiful man made lagoon/cenotes.

Food is good, largely Mexican regional without a lot of the more American-type food you see at other spots (e.g. no fries, burgers, hot dogs).

Note that there wasn’t a huge English speaking foreigner presence there. It was primarily Mexicans, as well as a number of folks from South American countries.

Definitely suggest checking it out. I’ve been to a number of other all-inclusive resorts and this place has definitely been my top experience.

Link to website: Home | Hotel Xcaret Mexico

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Cenotes are fucking awesome. Went to one in Tulum. Just incredible.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
You should try Hawaii. There aren't any traditional "all inclusive's" for you out here, but the ocean is extremely blue (except on overcast days) and very warm.

Here's a pretty common view of the ocean from out here.

When it comes to all inclusive, the closest you can get is the Travaasa Hana in Maui. They have packages that offer food and drinks, but only soda/juice. Nothing alcoholic. That's extra.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You should try Hawaii. There aren't any traditional "all inclusive's" for you out here, but the ocean is extremely blue (except on overcast days) and very warm.

Here's a pretty common view of the ocean from out here.

When it comes to all inclusive, the closest you can get is the Travaasa Hana in Maui. They have packages that offer food and drinks, but only soda/juice. Nothing alcoholic. That's extra.
all inclusive tradionally means going to a shit hole 3rd country where they built million dollar resorts cuz the Dollar is worth more.

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
You may also want to consider the time of year you are going. When i went on my honeymoon to Playa del Carmen it was mostly a ghost town. Don’t get me wrong, a little privacy and quiet time is great, but 5 days of very few people in a big resort was disconcerting. The staff had so few people to wait on we were overwhelmed by service and attention. There were maybe 3 people at any given time at our sections pool (more at the main pool but not large amounts). I mean it was awesome and I’d go back in an instant but maybe with 30% more people just so it didn’t feel so strange.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You may also want to consider the time of year you are going. When i went on my honeymoon to Playa del Carmen it was mostly a ghost town. Don’t get me wrong, a little privacy and quiet time is great, but 5 days of very few people in a big resort was disconcerting. The staff had so few people to wait on we were overwhelmed by service and attention. There were maybe 3 people at any given time at our sections pool (more at the main pool but not large amounts). I mean it was awesome and I’d go back in an instant but maybe with 30% more people just so it didn’t feel so strange.
Translation: Go when it's a busy time so you have some bitches to oogle while you sunbathe

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users