Best Credit Card with Cash Back Rewards

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Thecreditcheck when you first open the cards can effect your score a few points but it rebounds pretty quickly/easily. I have 6creditcards, plan on opening about 5-10 more in the next year just for sign up bonuses to create "free vacations" and maximize cash back potential. Mycreditscore is 817 currently. As long as you aren't maxing all yourcreditcards every month (even if you pay them all off) you should be fine in my experience. Availablecreditdoesn't effect anything from what I've seen personally, as long as you aren't actually highly utilizing saidcredit(getting close to maxing out your availablecreditlimits each statement period).

The truth is it all depends. It's a very "your mileage may vary" kind of thing.

You can use sites likeCompare Best:CreditCards | Car Insurance | CD Rates | Savings | Brokerages | Mortgagesto compare cards. Also, there are ways to get deals for cards that theoretically are no longer available.

For instance I just got the old version of the Amex Blue Cash card. It's 5% cash back at US supermarkets, gas stations, and select drug stores (CVS, etc). 1.5% cash back everywhere else. The card is technically no longer available.

Also, check the fine print on that card Deathwing. Make sure that isn't an introductory "only good the first 6 months" or "up to $1000 per quarter" kind of offer on that BJs card.
Actually availablecreditis one of the most important aspects to FICO scores. If you want highcreditscores (IE > 600 range) you need a lot open to buy or equity in a mortgage trade. You can still get into the 650s easily without any large amount, but you are basically tossing free money from savings in interest long term - as long as you can control yourself with CCs.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I can never seem to actually get mycreditscore.
FreeCreditReport FreeCreditScore. NoCreditCard Required.gives a pretty good estimate and is free.

As for cards I like the AMEX Delta Reserve card even though the perks have dropped a little the last year, its a level above the Delta Platinum card.

I use to get free Delta Sky Lounge access for my guests but now its just me. It's $29 per guest now with the card but on my last trip they let my daughter in free still =p

When I'm not flying First Class with Delta, I still get to use the priority checkin/security lines. I get 1 free companion ticket a year, so if I use that for a First Class ticket I easily cover the the $450 a year fee. Even if I used it for an economy ticket it'd still pay for itself.

The priority line perk isn't documented anymore and for a while and sometimes I'd have to point out the 'Expedite' status on the ticket to get through. A few months ago they changed it to "Priority chkpoint" though so it stands out better. It's a nice perk to get if you fly a lot with Delta but don't actually have Gold status. I only have silver so it doesn't come with priority line access.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
It's an excellent card. Best available imo unless you want to rotate out categories which we do with discover for certain things at 5%.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Definitely one of the better long term cash back cards. Only CB cards better are Penfed's card if you have 2 of their products, the old blue cash card from AmEx, and the Wells Fargo card but that one is only good for the first 6 months.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The Fidelity AmEx card I posted somewhere in this thread is 2% on everything as well. You have to have it deposited into a Fidelity investment account, but it's cash that can be withdrawn immediately.

Khane

I believe that card also gives an extra .5 or 1.5% if you have 100K in a fidelity investment account as well. Forgot about that one, also a good card.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I recently switched my Citi Dividend World card to the Citi Cash Back card. All I had to do was call and tell them I wanted to switch the card over. I figured I would run into some issues but I didn't. Citi was helpful and switched the card over in a matter of seconds.

I was also thinking about getting the AmEx blue card for groceries and gas. Its a $75 annual fee but with 6% grocery and 3% gas cash back.https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...referred/25330
Then there's the AmEx blue card without the annual fee but 3% grocery and 2% gas cash back.https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...-BCE-LearnMore

Just have to do the math and figure out which is more profitable for you.

Khane

If you use an incognito browser you can still get the older version of the no fee blue cash card that is 5% on all three of those categories up to 50k/year:

https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...lue-cash/25330

Again, you have to go to the link in an incognito browser. You have to spend $6500 before the bonuses kick in but if you spend a lot it's the best cash back card available.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
If you use an incognito browser you can still get the older version of the no fee blue cash card that is 5% on all three of those categories up to 50k/year:

https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...lue-cash/25330

Again, you have to go to the link in an incognito browser. You have to spend $6500 before the bonuses kick in but if you spend a lot it's the best cash back card available.
That's worse than the Amex Blue with the $75 a year fee. You'd lose $260 in bonus money before you reach bonus status and still be 1% behind on groceries.

Khane

5% of 50k is $2500. $2500 - $260 is $2240.

In order to get $2440 in CB from the citi 2% card you'd have to spend $112k

The AmEx blue with a $75 fee is capped at $6k spend a year. You can only get 6% up to $6k.

So like I said, if you are a big spender the old blue cash card I linked is the best available.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
5% of 50k is $2500. $2500 - $260 is $2240.

In order to get $2440 in CB from the citi 2% card you'd have to spend $112k
I'm just gonna ignore this, because I don't know what they hell you talking about.

The AmEx blue with a $75 fee is capped at $6k spend a year. You can only get 6% up to $6k.

So like I said, if you are a big spender the old blue cash card I linked is the best available.
Let's math it out on Groceries:
Max reward for 6% on the blue is: $360
Take the fee out and you get: $285

For that other card to overtake it you would need to spend:
285 = 6500*.01 + x * (.05 - .01)
where x is the amount you spend over 6500
x = 5500

So 12000 on groceries a year. I guess some people could be big spenders on groceries, but I'm thinking most are not.

Khane

I'm just gonna ignore this, because I don't know what they hell you talking about.

Let's math it out on Groceries:
Max reward for 6% on the blue is: $360
Take the fee out and you get: $285

For that other card to overtake it you would need to spend:
285 = 6500*.01 + x * (.05 - .01)
where x is the amount you spend over 6500
x = 5500

So 12 grand on groceries a year.
Why the are you conveniently ignoring the "If you're a big spender the old version of the blue cash card is the best available" statement I made in both of my posts? Damn bro...

And lots of people spend more than $12k on groceries, gas and drugstores a year my man. It's 5% on all 3 of those categories, not just groceries.

I'm acreditcard aficionado, I know what I'm talking about.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Bro, I'm ignoring where you applied strange fucking math to a card that I wasn't talking about.

Gas complicates the situation because your card does gain 2% on gas per year so you need to figure out how much gas you spend vs. groceries. Gas and Drugstores are not capped on the fee card.

Khane

I was comparing it to all other cash back cards. If you spend a hefty amount on those categories the card I linked is another option, in fact the best option. All I was doing was giving people that option since it's not publicly known or available but you can still get it.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I was comparing it to all other cash back cards. If you spend a hefty amount on those categories the card I linked is another option, in fact the best option. All I was doing was giving people that option since it's not publicly known or available but you can still get it.
Well it's bad to compare it to the Citi double cash back card, since that one's strictly better on anything that isn't gas/groceries and you'd ideally have both cards. You also did it in a weird manner.

Continuing forward on the cards that do make sense to compare, I've done a lot of math I won't share but your card probably comes out ahead on the average family of four with established average grocery and fuel costs to the tune of $70 a year. Take out the $150 signing bonus you get for the fee card and you are coming out ahead in year 3.

For individuals or couples I just don't see it as a better option regardless of spending habits. Gas and Groceries are pretty fixed spending categories, even "hefty spenders" aren't going very far out of line.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Did the chase sapphire preferred and put a 4k vacation on it first thing. was an easy 600 bucks

Fedor

<Banned>

This is one of the best no-fee cards around and you'll never see it advertised on the usual "bestcreditcard" sites.

CreditCards - Sallie Mae Mastercard - Sallie Mae

5% cash back on the first $250 per month on gas purchases
5% cash back on the first $250 per month on grocery purchases
5% cash back on the first $750 per month on book purchases
Regular Amazon.com purchases and Amazon gift cards count as book purchases. These are excluded: Amazon Payments, Amazon Prime membership fee, and Amazon digital purchases.