Best Credit Card with Cash Back Rewards

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I already got the one Sallie Mae card. My wife is dumb and would never get another card for some reason, she insists on having the most vanilla cards possible.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Just get two Sallie Mae cards then. You can also get a lot of grocery items from Amazon. It's really rare that a card with a fee is worth it beyond any signup bonuses.
It's not that rare. The Amex blue comes ahead of the Sallie Mae card for someone spending $125 a week on groceries on the 6% vs 5% alone.

Fedor

<Banned>
It's not that rare. The Amex blue comes ahead of the Sallie Mae card for someone spending $125 a week on groceries on the 6% vs 5% alone.
I'm talking about theaverageperson and not some faggot hipster who spends $500+ a month on groceries for himself.

dfff69d2dd433921e1f377c07c10004c.jpg

Khane

Got something right about marriage
All of the cards listed here so far are good cards in their own right. Different people will find different value in each. We've all contributed to the list, now people can make their own decisions based on their own spending habits.

I've already outlined how you can game the system for your own benefit, some people won't find it worth the hassle, others take it way farther than I do. There are a ton of options in the USA for credit cards.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I'm talking about theaverageperson and not some faggot hipster who spends $500+ a month on groceries for himself.
The average household spends $6,600 per year on food. Could be fixed with two cards, as you mention, but that may be cumbersome to manage: with the Sallie Mae card, the limit applies monthly, not annually.

That said, there's not a big difference... either's better than using the 1% cash back card I had before.
smile.png

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Any recommendations for travel cards not restricted to a particular airline? I probably spend around $5k/year on flights and hotels and I wonder whether I can do better than the 2% cash back on my Citi Double Cash card.

I fly American pretty frequently, with United a close second. Not sufficiently often to have status with either of them. I also tend to travel for just a few days, so never had any use for the free checked luggage that comes with their branded credit cards (i.e. doesn't seem worth the annual fee to me). Hotels vary a lot more, with Sheraton & Marriott maybe the most common; but for trips that aren't reimbursed, I just pick whichever decent hotel is cheapest in the area (occasionally grabbing an Airbnb).

Also, I haven't really thought about this, but it might be sensible to sign up for at least the American & United cards and collect some sign-up bonus miles, then cancel before the annual fee hits? A year's worth of free perks seems pretty decent.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Thanks for the links earlier in the thread and much of the ensuing discussion. Having wiped out all of our shitty debt it's time for my wife and I to play the credit game like adults instead of like the kids that accumulated much of it.

Watching my accounts slowly catch up to their $0 balances is painful, getting docked for 'closing' an account... which is actually just us paying off a car... is kinda lame.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The Barclaycard world elite mcard will get you 2.2% cb on travel. I think the signup bonus i got was 500 for 3k in 3 months. Ill cancel it after this year and never pay a fee. But it is a good card.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
The name of the card is the Arrival Plus and I did the exact same thing. When the annual fee came around, I switched it to the regular Arrival which has no annual fee.

The new Citi 2% card is nice too. 1% when you spend and 1% when you pay if off.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Discover just gave me a card with a pretty big limit and some decent cashback rewards. I dunno what they were thinking. :p

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I've been using that Sallie Mae visa card, got it not too long ago.

Walmart usage is pretty funky with that card. I used it on a regular Walmart and got a variety of items, and it was 1%. When I went to a Super Walmart and bought only food type items, it was 5%.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Different Wal-Marts are tagged as different types of merchants. If the Wal-Mart you went to that you only got 1% on didn't have a grocery in it, it's probably listed by Visa as a wholesaler or retail store. The Super Wal-Mart, since it has a grocery, is probably listed by Visa as a supermarket/grocer. It wouldn't matter what you buy at the Super Wal-Mart, you'll get the full 5% at that particular store.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Watching my accounts slowly catch up to their $0 balances is painful, getting docked for 'closing' an account... which is actually just us paying off a car... is kinda lame.
You shouldn't get docked for paying off a car. It stays on your credit record for 10 years. Even having different types of credit (e.g. revolving, fixed installment) is such a minor part of the score that it's not worth worrying over.