Best Metallica Songs

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
if ...And Justice For All was released today out of the blue by some other band, it would be considered a progressive metal masterpiece. they've barely tried that hard in their technical writing before or since. by far the best Metallica songs, from a musical perspective, are on that album.

in a non-technical "just a good fucking song" sense tho, some of those 90s tracks are really underrated. in that way, i'd say maybe "The Unforgiven"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Disposable Heroes is mine. This is my favorite video of them. Power outage mid song and no one misses a beat, not even the crowd. Fucking awesome.

Saw Metallica in the mid 90s and Disposable was my favorite back then. It was rare at the time. No idea if it is or isn't anymore. Wished they would play it never thinking they would. Blew my mind when they did. Moshed and was satisfied hearing it live.

if ...And Justice For All was released today out of the blue by some other band, it would be considered a progressive metal masterpiece. they've barely tried that hard in their technical writing before or since. by far the best Metallica songs, from a musical perspective, are on that album.

in a non-technical "just a good fucking song" sense tho, some of those 90s tracks are really underrated. in that way, i'd say maybe "The Unforgiven"
I'm not a metal fan. I was into hard rock, alternative and metal in my early teenage years. From mid teens onward I grew out of metal and never liked it since. But I've a personal connection from my adolescence. Always have and continue to like alternative. Nowadays there are certain aspects of metal I semi-like. Metal is like many other genres I don't care about but may or may not have a semi-passing interest in. I 80% dislike metal 20% dig it.

These shred videos are so dumb but they make me laugh every time. The Phish one is classic.
Same. They're so dumb. This is now the Cartman hippie thread.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I agree with this
everything up to the black album
And this
But Puppets is the best album.
I spent maybe 4-5 years from about 90 - 94 or so listening to nothing but Metallica. Rotating all 5 of their first albums.. Puppets and Justice got the most airtime.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
I agree with this

And this
But Puppets is the best album.
I spent maybe 4-5 years from about 90 - 94 or so listening to nothing but Metallica. Rotating all 5 of their first albums.. Puppets and Justice got the most airtime.

I remeber those years from Puppets to AJFA we got Garage Days Re-Revisited and too this day nothing they have done sounds so sweet.

1605072972102.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I remeber those years from Puppets to AJFA we got Garage Days Re-Revisited and too this day nothing they have done sounds so sweet.
I've still got an original 1987 copy of Garage Days.. It used to be worth a lot as it was a rare collectors item but since it's been re-released a bunch of times it's probably worthless now.

• 1Like

Drakurii

I've still got an original 1987 copy of Garage Days.. It used to be worth a lot as it was a rare collectors item but since it's been re-released a bunch of times it's probably worthless now.

Not sure how Metallica has caught the right breaks but they have, that release was just the right time and place. My 1st real concert was Veterans Memorial Coliseum Sept. '88...Queensryche Operation Mindcrime/Metallica and Justice for All. I was 16 and never looked back LOL

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i saw them back in the mid 90s. they played all their old stuff for over 2 hours. i was really close to the stage and i sort of lost my hearing and shit up my voice for a week. lol it was so worth it though. that being said, i was a huge fan from the Ride The Lightning days. i even loved the Black album. i thought they were going into an awesome direction of metal with super high end production. nope nope nope. i had a friend who taught himself how to play the guitar solely by Metallica and Pantera albums. dude played those same songs so much that not only did it hurt my ears, i think his terrible playing actually sucked the soul out of my body and left me hollow. was funny though watching him try to play non Metallica/Pantera songs and he ended up playing everything super fast and so he was way ahead of where the songs were. none of my other musician friends wanted to jam with him. good times.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Drakurii

I saw them 3 times on the AJFA tour and that's when you have to stand in lines around the mall and bought physical tickets from Dillards.

• 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
their shows were huge events. lots of people got into metal just for them. on my end i was into metal because NBC was a cool network back in the 80s and they had programs like Rock Palace and Friday Night Videos that played metal songs.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
It's King Nothing. Their best song is King Nothing.... and that is coming from someone that owned the Black Album and was in high school when Load came out. I never thought they were sell outs because I thought the new songs were good and over time King Nothing has just really stood out as the best of the bunch.

• 1Solidarity
You fellow kids are all aware of the "heavy metal parking lot" doc? Teh bomb. Mentioning Early metallica scene / concerts starts to get us back into ye golden age of total hell yeah

• 1Like

Sskarth

Trakanon Raider
11 years ago i got married and my wife and i went to a festival in Belgium (Rock Werchter) for our honeymoon. Metallica would close the festival. On the last day, a few hours before the concert i was sitting on a bench in between performaces. I was wearing a shitty shirt saying “just married” on it, wife and i had to wear it all weekend for free drinks...my friends didn’t think it would be THAT expensive hahahaha, showed them...
Some guy walks up to me, asked if i was really just married, and i replied, “yeah, this is our honeymoon. We’re Big metallica fans, my wife even walked the aisle on extacy of gold. We both exited the church On master of puppets.”

he said,” awesome, congrats!..so without thinking, name your favourite metallica song.” i said “dyer’s eve, but i dont think they will ever play it live....”

few hours later, in the middle of their set.... dyer’s eve...damn near died of joy. I never ever would have imagined hearing it live. I don’t know if that guy had anything to do with it, but i love to think they played it for me.

So yeah, dyer’s eve, my favourite metallica song.

• 2Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I always loved Disposable Heroes.

Actually, my first time having sex with one of my girlfriends was to Low Man's Lyric. So that always has a special place in my heart.

And my favorite tour of theirs was Mexico City. Really wish I experienced it live, even though it was a few days long.

And finally, my first experience with Metallica came when I was 14 in the early days of AOL. There was one of those "hax0r progs", HaVoK. When you started the app up, it would play "I'm in Hell without you. Can not cope without you two. Shocked at the world that I see. Innocent victim, please rescue me."

Last edited: