Best movie of the decade ?

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Never heard of Wind River before but saw it mentioned so much in this thread I gave it a watch. Holy fuck. You can definitely feel the sicario vibe in all the violent scenes. Which by the way were supberbly done. Good flick.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Bladerunner 2049 and Fury Road stand out for me.
Everyone other than Sterling is a dummy.

Edit: well, this actually looks like the consensus soooooo nevermind. Everyone is a stable genius.

I think I like it for the same reasons I like The Fountain (2006). Transcendence, love, eternity, working for a worthy goal. Silly, sure, but it's scifi mixed with human emotions, need, hopes and dreams. Romantic with your SO. If not, well, if anything it's great for netflix and chill, will get one laid.
The fountain is one of my top 5 movies of all time, but theres way too many butt pellets on this forum to appreciate it ;)

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Prisoners
Wind River
Hell or High Water
Sicario
John Wick
Creed
Dunkirk
Mud
Spotlight

Jesus, your list made me remember how fucking good Spotlight and Prisoners were. Tense and uncomfortable the whole way through. Wind River and Hell or High Water are great also, but both pretty sobering looks at believeable real world misery.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Dredd and Wick were great action movies, but nothing close to movie of the decade IMO.

Watching Dredd Day one thinking it would suck fat dick in actual imax 3D was the best movie experience I have had In 8 years. Somehow they nailed the gimmicky 3D bullshit into a true art form like no other.

I still prefer Dredd but Mad Max is a close 2nd. Understand I watched it as it truly was meant to be. The SLO MO scenes in 3D + Percocet was nice too.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Ex Machina, Get Out, Edge of Tomorrow, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, John Wick, The Social Network, Wind River, Hell or High Water, Interstellar, Fury Road, Django, The VVitch, Hereditary, Gone Girl, Wolf of Wall Street, Nightcrawler, Skyfall, Drive... Honestly quite a few really fun, good movies. I think Prisoners and Sicario were near Top 5 for me though. Along with Arrival, should give everyone here real hope that Dune can be everything we have wanted. Villeneuve kills it in those three.

The three that stick out to me though: 3. Dunkirk 2. Blade Runner 2049 1. Inception.

• 1Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
It's fucking shit that Fury Road would be the best film of an entire decade. The 2010's, even saturated with the wonderful monstrosity of my childhood realized in what is the MCU, was otherwise a vehement crap shoot of cinema. Don't get me wrong, it was cinematically amazing, but it didn't exactly move me emotionally - it was perfect for what it was, just like John Wick. Something that's been missing from most movies. But otherwise mostly a forgettable movie for me.

That said, these are what I remembered most. None of which would likely even break my top 20-25.

Logan
John Wick
Interstellar
The Martian
Inception
Avengers (the first one)

I will say this past decade did bring two of if not the worst movies I've ever seen in my life: The Last Jedi and Captain Marvel. So I guess it has that going for it. There was also a whole fuck load of wasted or unrealized ideas that were really half of what they should have been, like Arrival, Annihilation, Looper...

• 1Salty

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
idk, I feel like Annihilation would have taken a miracle to actually pull off. They did well enough, I'd have liked it to be better, but I'm not sure how they could have filmed it in a way that made sense and stayed closer to the book. Looper is the same, there are a couple of issues with it but for the most part it's fine.

I get that TLJ wasn't good and that people don't like Captain Marvel, but worst movies you've ever seen? Maybe I've seen too many movies but those two don't even rank. Captian Marvel is just a mediocre marvel movie, and TLJ is bad but I feel like most of that is contextual because it was supposed to be the continuation of the story started back in the 80s rather than... whatever the fuck it is.

Fury Road really is the right answer. It built a world by showing rather than telling. It engaged you with the plot and the characters, it had real stakes, it was beautiful even though it takes place in a bleak and terrible world. And, I know most of you guys don't give a shit, but with all the talk in hollywood of diversity, this film did that very well, mixed female roles with strong characters that didn't feel forced and more weak characters that were believable. And legitimately better action than "action movies" are providing. So many good things to say about the movie. The idea that they are fucking up the chance to build off of this movie over a few million dollars they otherwise would have flushed down the toilet on some bullshit remake that will likely underperform at the box office, it's just insane to me.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah TLJ and Captain Marvel being the 2 worst movies of your life probably means you've watched like 20 movies total or something. They're bad, but there's so many real, real bad movies. Catwoman? Highlander 2? Surf Ninjas?

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Yeah TLJ and Captain Marvel being the 2 worst movies of your life probably means you've watched like 20 movies total or something. They're bad, but there's so many real, real bad movies. Catwoman? Highlander 2? Surf Ninjas?
I didn't have any expectations for those movies, they're all bad, but for different reasons. Like, I know Mortal Kombat 2 is utter shite, but I completely expected it to be. You're not seeing 2-hour (6+hour) youtube videos dissecting what's wrong with Highlander 2 (likely due to it being released almost fucking 30 years ago, but that's beside the point). Those two are offensively bad. They should have been good, and they were literally designed/crafted to be stupid and insulting to the viewer instead.

The Last Jedi

Captain Marvel

• 1Dislike

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I like a lot of the movies mentioned here. Dredd, Intersteller, Mad Max. But for me the best is BR2049. It cemented Denis Villeneuve as one of my favorite working directors.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Worst ever and most disappointing are 2 very different things.
^ that. I don't think I've ever been more disappointed by a movie than TLJ, I could definitely do a multi-hour breakdown on everything wrong with that movie. I wouldn't even bother with the worst movies ever. Like, I'm not going to spend time picking apart why The Emoji Movie is trash, or the poor choices made by Cats.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I like a lot of the movies mentioned here. Dredd, Intersteller, Mad Max. But for me the best is BR2049. It cemented Denis Villeneuve as one of my favorite working directors.

That guy has done some seriously solid work.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That guy has done some seriously solid work.
I'd probably rank him as best director of the decade. All of his movies have been good, I think Enemy was the weakest and it wasn't bad, just not the clearest expression of the ideas it was trying to get across. BR2049 was his pinnacle. I know a bunch of people have a problem with Arrival but I never understood it, I liked that one.

Can't think of any other directors like him in this past decade just cranking out quality stuff.

• 3Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Arrival was actually really good too.

I think I only had two problems with it. The insert "overzealous soldier dude" they shouldn't have done. The other was just the unavoidable consequence paradox. Really don't hold that against the movie though, that one they couldn't avoid and shouldn't try to. So it was just soldier dude they they either should have not have done, or found a way to do more deeply.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users