Best movie of the decade ?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mad Max is the most "show me, don't tell me" movie ever made. All of the exposition you actually need to understand what's going on takes place without ever having to spend one extra second to explain.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mist Mist To reuse a comparison I made for the pretty flawed The Tree of Life : Perfectly jumping over a chair is less impressive than attempting to jump over the moon and almost making it. That said, I much prefer the Martian over Interstellar. And I also prefer The Tree of Life over both so my little comparison is the silver bullet.
I feel like Arrival impressed me more than Interstellar and it was going for the same kind of thing.

Obviously the visuals in Interstellar were amazing but the ending just didn't work like it did in Arrival.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Honestly, Inception. It's a movie one could still watch for the first time today and have a lasting memory of it. The Martian is a good choice as is Interstellar, but I'm partial to that sort of thing.

Though when I think of the movie of a decade I think about multiple areas of what defines that time period. Clearly the majority of the decade was Superheroes. Avengers Endgame tops that list without a doubt. Technologically? I couldn't say, that's a category that is somewhat not relevant now with the special effects capability of any mid to major film. As for Comedy, Romance, Drama, Action, Thriller...eh. Comedy movies are shit now. Romance, who gives a fuck. Drama? A lot of crap but some good ones here and there. Action? Popcorn is good at a movie theater, and you might watch it later for free on tv/streaming, so nay. Thriller/Horror? Never cared for that, but I do enjoy laughing at people getting scared in a movie theater.

I do think Joker is up there, as it touches upon what's going on now with the incessant issue with mental illness due to society being fucking shitbags.

I stand by Endgame. 10 years from now, what are people going to remember? Stuber? lol.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It is there, just hard to due to lack of large icon like all the TMDB started threads.
View attachment 242017
Doesn't exist in my thread, for some reason.

32DxEJM.png

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Mad Max is the most "show me, don't tell me" movie ever made.

This is exactly what made Dredd so fucking awesome. It's a movie with very minimal dialog and it's just "go, go, go!" without any wasted movements from the very beginning. In my opinion, it's probably the best, pure "action" movie I've ever seen. Unfortunately, it's also one of the few, rare movies whose entire premise/plot really fucking needs to be experienced in 3-D for the extra layer of amazing. Because of that and what a technical marvel Mad Max is, I think Mad Max beats it.

• 1Solidarity

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I don't ignore anyone. Strange.

EDIT: Ok, somehow I had him on ignore. I've never ignored anyone, so that threw me off. You all may want to check your ignores and see if anyone is listed that shouldn't be.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I can't understand people who liked Interstellar more than The Martian.

Interstellar was a just okay movie that could have been so much better.

The Martian achieved what it was trying to do perfectly and is just a super fun movie to watch.

A movie that's not showing up much in this thread but was excellent is Gone Girl.

I agree The Martian was better overall. I urge people to go find and read the original script for Interstellar. Not that the movie they made was bad, but it was about half to two thirds of what could have been without the silly overarching "love is quantifiable" stuff. Much better pure scifi

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Shit, I haven't seen Dredd and I've fallen asleep all 3 times I've tried to watch infinity war. I'll have to pick up Dredd this weekend.

Still haven't gotten time to watch Blade Runner 2049 though.
I'll bet you could pickle an egg in the 5 minutes that the threesome scene lasts.

• 1Picard

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Shit, I haven't seen Dredd and I've fallen asleep all 3 times I've tried to watch infinity war. I'll have to pick up Dredd this weekend.

While it's still a fantastic movie, it really loses a TON by not being experienced in 3-D. If I could get that experience back, I'd probably watch it fucking monthly, no joke.

• 1Solidarity

iannis

Musty Nester
This thread is the reason I DL'd Fury Road. It's really good but I can't relate to why many of you think it's the best of the decade to be blunt.

Also, how many stuntmen died filming that movie? LoL... I was just imagining the logistical difficulties of getting some of those amazing shots and wrecks because I feel like they went practical effects on a lot of the film, yes? HOW they made the film impressed me more than the film itself because Max and Furiosa were emotionally flat imo and the plot was extremely basic. Go to green place. Green place not there. Kill bad guy. Make old home new green place. Tada!

Curious just to hear y'alls take on why it's one of the best films ever.
Honestly, it's because fury road is everything we loved about road warrior when we were twelve. Except times ten thousand and with a budget.

PERFECT IN EVERY WAY.

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Honestly, it's because fury road is everything we loved about road warrior when we were twelve. Except times ten thousand and with a budget.

PERFECT IN EVERY WAY.
Ahhh, I get it now, thanks and you see... I never saw Mad Max back in the day so there's a solid chunk of nostalgia / history / familiarity removed from my watching experience.

I think this actually helps me relate to how someone would feel about BR2049 without seeing the first one with Sean Young and Rutger Hauer. Beautiful, well-made, unique, but stymied how I could say BR2049 was one of the best films of the decade. What it builds upon matters.

• 2Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
With so many reboots, remakes and belated sequels ranging from completely forgettable to utterly godawful getting Fury Road is all the more amazing.

edit - I wish IT Chapter 2 wasn't awful because the first one was way better than what I was expecting to get. Doing a brick of a King book and ending up with something watchable is tough. Dark Tower (I'm told) was bad. Pet Sematary remake was real bad. I'm not sure anyone has more bad adaptations with their name on them than Stephen King but IT Chapter 1 was this bright little spark.

If they could have come up with a sequel that was better than the first it could have been something special.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Mist Mist To reuse a comparison I made for the pretty flawed The Tree of Life : Perfectly jumping over a chair is less impressive than attempting to jump over the moon and almost making it. That said, I much prefer the Martian over Interstellar. And I also prefer The Tree of Life over both so my little comparison is the silver bullet.
Except that insterstellar was more like instead of almost making it, you jumped slightly higher than the dude that jumped over the chair, then shit yourself and fell and broke your neck.

• 2Worf

iannis

Musty Nester
Except that insterstellar was more like instead of almost making it, you jumped slightly higher than the dude that jumped over the chair, then shit yourself and fell and broke your neck.
I waneed to date this post MURPH, but settled for a worf.

It was too sentimental, and the entire sequence with Ben aflek was pointless.

Contact was better. The sentimentality in that was more earnest and thoughtful. I'm pretty sure I'm dead center of the demographic that interstellar was suppose to rimjob, too.

It wasn't the worst movie. It wasn't even had or awful. But I wasn't super impressed with it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I waneed to date this post MURPH, but settled for a worf.

It was too sentimental, and the entire sequence with Ben aflek was pointless.

Contact was better. The sentimentality in that was more earnest and thoughtful. I'm pretty sure I'm dead center of the demographic that interstellar was suppose to rimjob, too.

It wasn't the worst movie. It wasn't even had or awful. But I wasn't super impressed with it.
Contact was an okay movie made from a fantastic book.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
With so many reboots, remakes and belated sequels ranging from completely forgettable to utterly godawful getting Fury Road is all the more amazing.

edit - I wish IT Chapter 2 wasn't awful because the first one was way better than what I was expecting to get. Doing a brick of a King book and ending up with something watchable is tough. Dark Tower (I'm told) was bad. Pet Sematary remake was real bad. I'm not sure anyone has more bad adaptations with their name on them than Stephen King but IT Chapter 1 was this bright little spark.

If they could have come up with a sequel that was better than the first it could have been something special.

Yeah its weird as fuck, probabaly one of, if not the best horror story tellers of our generation and there is like one good movie worth anything, The Shining back in the 80s all the other mini series, movies have been shit. (but maybe I missed some, so dont get all uppidy with me) I remember reading some books of his while in high school and they were down right terrifying and stuck with you, like IT, Tommyknockers, Pet Semetary...

• 1Picard

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Id be repeating many movies already mentioned. I only saw Dredd once, and I find myself constantly checking the streaming services for it so I can watch again (only on PlutoTV and its dubbed in spanish!!). Of course Fury Road was awesome.

I'd say the best theater experience of the decade for me was Gravity. The scenes and music at IMAX, very very memorable.

I've never seen John Wick, but I see it mentioned in every post, looks like I got a nice treat to see very soon! Same with End Game and Infinity war because I skipped most of the Marvel hero movies this past decade. I was never a comic reader and the few I did see started to all bleed into each other.

So my contribution to this thread that was not mentioned yet:

Gravity (2013)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah its weird as fuck, probabaly one of, if not the best horror story tellers of our generation and there is like one good movie worth anything, The Shining back in the 80s all the other mini series, movies have been shit. (but maybe I missed some, so dont get all uppidy with me) I remember reading some books of his while in high school and they were down right terrifying and stuck with you, like IT, Tommyknockers, Pet Semetary...
Theres actually a lot of good movies. Shawshank, Green Mile, stand by me, misery. I liked Gerald's Game and 1922 also. It chapter 1 was great, chapter 2 was a hearty meh. Such wasted potential. But, for sure, most of his adaptations are garbage.

I hear good things about the Mr Mercedes tv show but I will probably never see it, shit it on some weird channel.