Best movie of the decade ?

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah its weird as fuck, probabaly one of, if not the best horror story tellers of our generation and there is like one good movie worth anything, The Shining back in the 80s all the other mini series, movies have been shit. (but maybe I missed some, so dont get all uppidy with me) I remember reading some books of his while in high school and they were down right terrifying and stuck with you, like IT, Tommyknockers, Pet Semetary...

Tommyknockers is an abomination and should never be mentioned more than twice in a single thread page on threat of eternal damnation. Not only one of the worst books King ever wrote (Needful Things is up there as well) but also one of the worst single books I have ever read.

I think the issue with King is that he is one of the best at painting a vivid picture in your mind with words. His prose has a way of injecting directly into your imagination and rolling that story on the screen of your mind. Aside from Kubrick, no one has been successful in recreating this phenomenon on the external screen.

I wish The Stand could have been made into something decent (the miniseries is also an abomination) as it laid the foundation for my love of post apocalypse settings and alternative future/history fiction.

Also, Mad Max (#2) is definitely an iconic movie particularly for my generation (along with Blade Runner) and definitely colors our appreciation for remakes or similar themed movies. The chase scene ending in Mad Max, the point where he turns that Mack rig around and the camera pans back and all the car chaos remains one of the more amazing movie images to my mind.

1578498092288.png

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Honestly, it's because fury road is everything we loved about road warrior when we were twelve. Except times ten thousand and with a budget.

PERFECT IN EVERY WAY.
I think the nostalgia is a factor for many of us, but I don't think it's a requirement to see the genius of that movie. Like Mist said, Miller took "show don't tell" to the next level. He built a fundamentally alien society in a world very much unlike ours and there is enough in the movie to fully understand it. I would disagree about Furiosa being emotionally flat. Max is, but that's who Max is. And the whole "go to green place" thing, that's a really minimalist way of telling the story. More broadly, the regional despotic leaders of tribal city-states were overthrown and the people freed from bondage, which would have been much less meaningful if Max had been the one to do it all, but since Furiosa was the face of it it's a story of revolution and upheaval instead of one of Max's conquest. And, again, rather than being told of Furiosa's character evolution we see it happen on screen. It is a very hopeful movie, weird given the background.

All that gay story/plot/character shit is cool. But the visuals and stunts really are amazing and worthy of praise.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not going to be diverging much from the majority here but:

Best Action/Adventure- Fury Road. People have already mentioned how amazing the movie is at "show don't tell." I'll add that the editing is super tight. Watching it I didn't think there was a single second of film that should be cut, but I don't feel like it needed anything else either. Also add that the acting was surprisingly good. Don't have to mention how great Hardy is, but Theron played her role with perfect touch- it would have been super easy for her to overdo it. And Hoult... I didn't have much of an option on him before the movie but I came away impressed.

Best Sci-Fi- Inception. I guess you can argue if it's sci-fi, but it was an amazing film. Sticks with me today. Underrated second place sci-fi for me would be Looper.

Best Art House- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Again, probably not technically art house, but it was a filmmaker's film and a masterpiece for a lot of reasons.

Best Horror- I don't know? Was Get Out horror? The Ritual and Midsommer were really entertaining but seriously flawed. I'm sure I'm forgetting some good horror movies.

Best Overall- BR2049. Before watching I gave them about a 5% chance of being able to make a movie that could be considered a worthy successor to the original. But they did.

• 2Solidarity

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Ahhh, I get it now, thanks and you see... I never saw Mad Max back in the day so there's a solid chunk of nostalgia / history / familiarity removed from my watching experience.

Realized this as well when I was questioning my father about why he thought Fury Road was so insanely good. Don't get me wrong, I think it's one of the best action movies I have ever seen, so it's up there. But I think if you really loved Mad Max back in the day, it took the films standing to an even further standing.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah its weird as fuck, probabaly one of, if not the best horror story tellers of our generation and there is like one good movie worth anything, The Shining back in the 80s all the other mini series, movies have been shit. (but maybe I missed some, so dont get all uppidy with me) I remember reading some books of his while in high school and they were down right terrifying and stuck with you, like IT, Tommyknockers, Pet Semetary...

This is just wrong. There have been lots of bad movies based on King books, but lots of good ones too. You'll get that when there's been 40+ movies made based on one guy's books.

Sterling

El Presidente
A lot of the King movies are just shitty TV movies or otherwise bad. There's plenty of good ones too though. There's just a lot of movies in general based on his books.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Fury Road is the best movie of the century thus far

"Get Out" being top 10 makes me question that list. Maybe I heard too much hype about it before I saw it or something but I don't understand why people think that movie is so amazing. I liked it, but top 10? Not even close.

• 2Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't agree with most of that top 10 list. Like, Moonlight is a great film, but top 10 of the century? Same with Fellowship and Lost in Translation. Inifinity War, Social Network, and Inception I actually agree with. Get Out idk, I think it's a great film and deserving of praise, and I think it should be pretty high on that list, so idk either way.

Maybe controversial opinion, but I don't think Dark Knight should be on there, should be way lower. It was good, but the thing that made it classic was Ledger's performance, not the story or plot or any of the other characters, that was all Ledger.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
I don't agree with most of that top 10 list. Like, Moonlight is a great film, but top 10 of the century? Same with Fellowship and Lost in Translation. Inifinity War, Social Network, and Inception I actually agree with. Get Out idk, I think it's a great film and deserving of praise, and I think it should be pretty high on that list, so idk either way.

Maybe controversial opinion, but I don't think Dark Knight should be on there, should be way lower. It was good, but the thing that made it classic was Ledger's performance, not the story or plot or any of the other characters, that was all Ledger.
Yeah I'd probably only have Fury Road from that list on my top 10. Both of those Nolan movies are way, way too high.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
If you look at the rest of the list, it's all fucked up. They have La La Land in the same tier as Children of Men, Memento, and Kill Bill. Fucking thing sucks.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
"Get Out" being top 10 makes me question that list. Maybe I heard too much hype about it before I saw it or something but I don't understand why people think that movie is so amazing. I liked it, but top 10? Not even close.

Agreed. Get Out was fucking boring as shit for the first 45 mins? The implied and sometimes outward racism through the introduction of the movie that set up the "big pay off" was trite and formulaic, transparent and just played. The crazy part of the movie was entertaining but I had to watch the movie in parts because the slog at the beginning turned me off several times.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Re-watched Lost In Translation a week ago. It's a good movie. Top 10 of the century is a stretch, although some people absolutely love that movie. Really struggle to see how people couldn't find legitimately better movies than Moonlight, Social Network etc. They are good movies, but let's be real. I really really liked Get Out, but I think something like Ex Machina was definitely better if you are going for a tense thriller.

LoTR, Inception, Dark Knight, Fury Road I'd have zero issue with any of those. All rank really highly for me, with the first three being way, way up there.

edit: Oh God they had There Will Be Blood at #11. That movie might be the most heavily carried movie of all-time to me. Super overrated, and just absolutely carried by the acting.

Last edited:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Oh God they had There Will Be Blood at #11. That movie might be the most heavily carried movie of all-time to me. Super overrated, and just absolutely carried by the acting.

It's okay to be wrong

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Direct to DVD
Reactions: 3 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
If you look at the rest of the list, it's all fucked up. They have La La Land in the same tier as Children of Men, Memento, and Kill Bill. Fucking thing sucks.
La La Land is a fine movie, but what's going on with that one is it's a Hollywood movie about Hollywood and done to make Hollywood People happy. So yeah, it gets praise MUCH higher than it deserves from Hollywood People. Your other three examples are all obviously better movies.

Fury Road is more or less a perfect movie however. It's no Empire, but it's close.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
La La Land is a fine movie, but what's going on with that one is it's a Hollywood movie about Hollywood and done to make Hollywood People happy. So yeah, it gets praise MUCH higher than it deserves from Hollywood People. Your other three examples are all obviously better movies.

Fury Road is more or less a perfect movie however. It's no Empire, but it's close.
This is why I half expect OUATIH to win best picture this year, even though I don't think it's what's best in list of nominations.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

I expect awards shows to jerk off Hollywood, that's what it's about. You'd hope that magazines, review sites, etc wouldn't fall prey to that.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think No Country for Old Men is too low on that list, Wolf of Wall Street is too high. I like Fellowship and Dark Knight too but they are not the 2nd and 3rd best movies in the last 20 years, sorry.

• 1Like