Best PC RPGS of the last decade

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Mass Effect style RPGs are usually dungeons and dragons themed but:
bioshock 1/2/3 (more of a shooter than an rpg)
Freelancer (Space combat sim, but the campaign is very Mass Effect like)
Deus Ex (1 is the best, 3 is the second best. If you play 1 looks for texture pack mods)
SW:KotoR (If you play the second one look for the host of mods that finish it. It was shoveled out the door too early)
System Shock 2

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Mass Effect 2 if you skipped it for some reason. Dragon Age probably the best PC Rpg of the last decade.

Comedy Option Saints Row 4 because you can romance people and it's also extremely god damn fun.

Caliane

haha. at Saints row 4 romance.

What are you looking for in an rpg? "RPG" as its own genre is breaking down. MassEffect is an rpg. Red dead redemption is an rpg. Hell, saints row is an rpg. Deus Ex, etc.. MMO rpgs.. action rpgs? like Path of exile, etc.
You could probably play GW2 as a single player game, and it would be near the best rpg ever. Neverwinter works well as a single player rpg too.
A story? so, ME2-3, JRPGS, or how about

A few of the more overlooked ones, either due to genre split, or actually under the radar.

Vampire the Masquerade: bloodlines. probably the best ever. (needs to be patched)
Alpha protocal.
Red Dead Redeption. (a bit GTA clone, a bit RPG, a bit FO3. you decide.)
Divinity 2:dragonknight saga. AMAZEBALLS. (a new divinity just came out too.)
Dark souls.

Will have to look into indie rpgs. there are definitely many out there. not coming to mind atm.
city of steam. action rpg. f2p browser based.
Legend of Grimrock.

Witcher series and Drakensang (not amazing, but pretty typical rpgs), oh and lets not forget Amaluer. Which was generally deemed "ok to good, but not amazing"

Skyrim, and Morrowind of course.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I can second System Shock 2. It is older and the graphics are out dated but is still one of the best sci fi ones ever made. A friend of mine's wife can't stay in the same room with him when he plays cause the mobs freak her out.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
If you haven't played Dark Souls, do it. It may be the best game of the last 2 decades, let alone the best RPG.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Vampire the Masquerade - just apply the patch you won't be disappointed. Great game. Totally wish It had not had such poor sales and a bug ridden start - we'd have had sequels.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
See a thread about pc-rpgs and then several posts with a game that almost has to be played with a controller... Anyways while the term pc-rpg threw me off thinking of BG2/Morrowind; rereading your post Kotor or Deus ex would offer what you're looking for.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Seriously, Bloodlines. Easily the best RPG I've played since Planescape. It's essentially bug-free with the patch and will probably cost something close to 5$ from steam/gmg.

Seriously, Bloodlines. Easily the best RPG I've played since Planescape. It's essentially bug-free with the patch and will probably cost something close to 5$ from steam/gmg.
Actually it is 20$ on both and the only time I've seen it on sale is during the summer/winter sales. An amazing game, yup! But not as cheap as a decade old game should be.

Fadaar

That guy
Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2, and Witcher 2 are probably the three I've put the most hours into over the last decade. Those and Diablo 2 if you want to count it (even though it came out in 1999... I think?).

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Actually it is 20$ on both and the only time I've seen it on sale is during the summer/winter sales. An amazing game, yup! But not as cheap as a decade old game should be.
How do you see pirating such a game? The studio that made it is gone, so is the publisher. The rights now belong to some faceless money printing company (Activision-Blizzard I guess) Not one of the people involved in making this game receive a single cent at this point from sales. The few sales such a title gets per month now also won't even show up on the potential investment map for publishing corporation

I fully understand the whole support developers - don't pirate point of view, but it just doesn't apply to games like this.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I pirate the fuck out of it. I already bought it a decade ago and I'm not about to pay some parasite for it again just because my code won't activate on Steam.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why did people like DA:O so much. I've bought it twice now (once for Xbox, and once for PC) and I just don't get it. It's a 8 at best. The story is just so boring. The only thing that is interesting in that game is the veil.

/dons flame retarded suit.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Why did people like DA:O so much. I've bought it twice now (once for Xbox, and once for PC) and I just don't get it. It's a 8 at best. The story is just so boring. The only thing that is interesting in that game is the veil.

An 8 is still way better than a lot of RPGs in the past few years. The fact that it had Baldur's Gate style combat pushes it to a 10 for nostalgia types. It's awful on consoles for that reason.

Caliane

it was ok. Certainly had problems.

The liking of it is probably directly tied to the nostalgia. It was basically the last isometric tactical rpg I can think of. even when it came out, the fact it had Isometric view and pause was a huge throwback to its "spiritual successor" to Baulders gate, it was supposed to be, and something we hadn't really seen in some time. If you played on xbox or ps3, then you probably missed out. But pretty much everything since, has been moving towards one of two things. Fallout3/Reddead/skyrim open world first person rpgs. or deus ex, masseffect, hallways with dialogue trees "rpgs"