Best phone games?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Do these companies get paid based on downloads only? I assume the answer is yes simply due to the amount of false advertising that's prevalent with these type of games.

Not this game. Probably half the players buy packages constantly. I don't and that's why I'm not max level. When someone buys a package, the alliance and the server gets a reward. So I see how often those package rewards are coming in and it blows my mind. One thing though, I do not know how much the packages cost. I don't know if people are spending thousands of dollars or tens of dollars.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Not this game. Probably half the players buy packages constantly. I don't and that's why I'm not max level. When someone buys a package, the alliance and the server gets a reward. So I see how often those package rewards are coming in and it blows my mind. One thing though, I do not know how much the packages cost. I don't know if people are spending thousands of dollars or tens of dollars.
Sorry, I didn't fully enunciate my thoughts and/or explain myself as carefully as I should have.

I definitely know about gacha games due to my years long relationship with FFRK (which I finally divorced myself of). I know these games make money off of in-game purchases too, but I meant...

...do these companies get paid by the platform (say, Google, Apple) based on downloads no matter what the content is?

So does company A who has 10 million game downloads with a free game get paid by THAT platform e.g. Google Play by download only, or by user feedback via 4.8 stars versus Company B who has 30 million game downloads, but only 2.8 stars based on user feedback?

Or do they not get paid at all? Was curious of the business model. If it's downloads only, that probably explains why these games can be nothing like their ads.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't expect free games to get paid for downloads at all. Where is the money coming from? How is google play making money letting me download a free game that they could then share with the game designer?

Chris

Potato del Grande
I am pretty far into the game now and I have yet to see any puzzles like what was in the ads.

But the game was good enough that I haven't deleted it yet.
They don't, it's just a trick to get you playing one of those city builder games and spend money to speed up the time gates on buildings.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah it seems like every game is just a treadmill and they make the game so boring that you will pay to not have to play it and just get to milestones quicker even though you're on an infinite road that doesn't lead anywhere. Somehow they have figured out how to motivate people with pixels that they will spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on it.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Yeah it seems like every game is just a treadmill and they make the game so boring that you will pay to not have to play it and just get to milestones quicker even though you're on an infinite road that doesn't lead anywhere. Somehow they have figured out how to motivate people with pixels that they will spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on it.

Then I guess my special brand of autism wins the day again!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Exactly, why I'm so looking forward to the deck. The phone is a great idea, but good god are most of the games a pile of dog shit. Meanwhile I have a fucking mountainous garbage heap of games on steam that I can pull from, after just gobbling up steam games from my wishlist in the scenario of 'what if' where even the worst trash in that pile is atleast as good as a bettter than average mobile game.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I started playing SoulKnight but then I realized its just a worse version of Enter the Gungeon...

I really hate playing anything on the phone. I just can't get into it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Find at least one game that's good for playing on the shitter, during work break, business things, doctor's office waits, etc etc. Otherwise, I agree.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I started playing SoulKnight but then I realized its just a worse version of Enter the Gungeon...

Find at least one game that's good for playing on the shitter, during work break, business things, doctor's office waits, etc etc. Otherwise, I agree.

I totally disliked playing games on the phone too...until I didn't. Then for a while over the past year or so it became my preferred method of playing things. Totally blew through DQ1-6 and FF1. Just need to have a good game, and the old-school RPG remakes do the trick.

The one that made me do a 180 on disliking/preferring phone games was the Dragon Quest 1 remake. It's such a simple, basic game, the genesis of things like Elden Ring and Fallout 3 (well, Zelda 1 was also their genesis but yeah). I got it for like $3 just to play while I had nothing to do, it worked incredibly well as something to play while out and about. Even the weird touchscreen controls suddenly felt normal after a bit.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
For a simple time waster game I've been playing "Just Block" lately, formerly called "Woodoku". My favorite thing about it? They let you shut off ads permanently for $3.

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
Crazy cross posting!

Ultima 5 was like 8 floppy Disks for C64!

Ultima was a great series as was Wizardry, but my favorite RPG series was probably The Bard's Tale, with 2 being my favorite of the bunch.
Bards_Tale_2_mac_box_art.jpg

I played the first bards tale so much as a kid. My "pc" couldn't play the 2nd

I've never considered an rpg on mobile. I see bards tale in the Google play store but seem to remember the new pc version that came out got bad reviews

Whats a good fantasy rpg out on mobile? Or is there a way to play those original bards tale games on mobile?

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I totally disliked playing games on the phone too...until I didn't.
The right phone is important too and I wonder if some people who game on their phone aren't putting as much into their phone as their PC (so to speak). Because when I was playing FFRK as my main game for literally YEARS until I quit (yay, was needed), I went through 2 phones... a Galaxy 7 and a Note 10 during my high-end dedication time to playing FFRK and the difference in enjoyment due to how the game ran on the different phones was extremely noticeable.

My Note 10 has a very large screen and was the top dawg phone at my Verizon store at the time and for games, it's still smooth as silk for gaming.

I could just imagine someone using an older phone, getting a certain game on it, and not liking the game because their phone is a dinosaur.

The one that made me do a 180 on disliking/preferring phone games was the Dragon Quest 1 remake.
I mean, yeah. Dragon Warrior 1 and Final Fantasy 1 are the progenitors of every amazing JRPG we've ever had imo. I've played both more times than I am comfortable admitting. Somewhere in the multiverse, Alefgard is real :p (I keed! But ya... they were the pavement makers)

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider

I've sunk crazy time into this. Fun, most addictive game that I've played in awhile. Biggest complaint I hear is that it rips of Slay the Spire - well, I haven't played that; yet I confirm this is good.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The very best phone game is snake for my old Nextel flip phone. Prove me wrong.

• 1Solidarity

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone ever play Rush Royale? Buddy suggested it because it has "coop", so I got it, and didn't really think much of it. Then last night I decided to put a little more time into it, and now all the oldest tricks in the book are working hard on me and I'm just spamming shit non-stop. Haven't spent any dollars on it yet, but it seems that won't take long. I'm such a sucker.

• 1Worf

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Early access Dominion launched late last year. Base, Intrique and Guilds are currently free (no idea what the plan is when they launch)