Best phone games?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Are there any turn based rpg games that are completely free or one time charge that are worth my time? I'm getting really fucking annoyed by energy recharge mechanics with pay2win in basically every goddamn game, even more so when the mechanics are legit fun to play. Quit making me wait/pay to play your fuckin game, please.

all the old school Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games are on mobile. if you like Final Fantasy but want something you haven't played before, Final Fantasy Dimensions 1 is essentially a new "old school" Final Fantasy game, made straight to mobile. it's a surprisingly good game for being straight to mobile, i think it would have been popular if it had been released on SNES back in the day. has a pretty great job class system. plot is a little lacking compared to Final Fantasy 4 or 6, maybe on par with or slightly worse than 5 in that regard.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Really enjoyed 5 because of the depth of the job system over 4, even though it had more or less the same story as 4, just a lot less "heart"/depth to it. Music was also really bad compared to 4 (not terrible, not great). All said, not the type of game interface I'm looking for.

I have IX and started playing that, but immediately remembered the storyline. We'll see if I can tolerate the interface doe the duration of the game.

I'll give Dimensions a shot. Is it like FF Mystic Quest for SNES? Didn't nind that game, but with a controller the node based "exploration as progress" that mobile games use these days doesn't play well. Speaking of, Mystic Quest would be perfect for mobile...

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Really enjoyed 5 because of the depth of the job system over 4, even though it had more or less the same story as 4, just a lot less "heart"/depth to it. Music was also really bad compared to 4 (not terrible, not great). All said, not the type of game interface I'm looking for.

I have IX and started playing that, but immediately remembered the storyline. We'll see if I can tolerate the interface doe the duration of the game.

I'll give Dimensions a shot. Is it like FF Mystic Quest for SNES? Didn't nind that game, but with a controller the node based "exploration as progress" that mobile games use these days doesn't play well. Speaking of, Mystic Quest would be perfect for mobile...

Closest comparison for Dimensions is Final Fantasy 5. Job system with classic ATB "turn-based" battles. Random battles, world map, airships, the whole shebang.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Are there any turn based rpg games that are completely free or one time charge that are worth my time? I'm getting really fucking annoyed by energy recharge mechanics with pay2win in basically every goddamn game, even more so when the mechanics are legit fun to play. Quit making me wait/pay to play your fuckin game, please.
FF Tactics: War of the Lions.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So aggravating playing it on a touchscreen IMO. Tho I've heard others say the opposite, that it's better touchscreen.
Depends on your phone size I think. My Pixel 3 is a tiny bit too small but on an XL it would be fine.

Couchy

Molten Core Raider
Can anyone suggest a good controller that would connect to an android device? Galaxy S9 to be exact.

I wanna play some emulated games, but the on screen keys make it less enjoyable.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Can anyone suggest a good controller that would connect to an android device? Galaxy S9 to be exact.

I wanna play some emulated games, but the on screen keys make it less enjoyable.

i just like using a Dualshock 4

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
No extra setup or programs needed? It just works?

If the game has support for a controller built in then yeah. Otherwise there are various programs to get the controller to work with apps that don't. You can even program in stuff like swipes and other gestures to get typically touch based controls to work with a button, I believe (haven't messed around with it a whole lot).

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
If the game has support for a controller built in then yeah. Otherwise there are various programs to get the controller to work with apps that don't. You can even program in stuff like swipes and other gestures to get typically touch bases controls to work with a button, I believe (haven't messed around with it a whole lot).
Thats good to know, thanks!

• 1Solidarity

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
I had a lot of issues getting my PS4 controller to work on my phone. It would often connect and run great for a minute, then start getting laggy. I tried everything I could google to fix the issue, but never found anything reliable. In the end I ordered a Xbox One controller (wanted one anyway for PC), and it seems to work flawlessly via bluetooth with no extra fuss.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I had a lot of issues getting my PS4 controller to work on my phone. It would often connect and run great for a minute, then start getting laggy. I tried everything I could google to fix the issue, but never found anything reliable. In the end I ordered a Xbox One controller (wanted one anyway for PC), and it seems to work flawlessly via bluetooth with no extra fuss.

what phone do you own?

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
If you like the 8 bit FF games, try Orna. Free to download, no inventory cap/energy bullshiat. It's kind of funny to play with someone too, you can claim territory, level up kind of quick. Bosses, 'dungeons', gear upgrades etc.

It's a GPS game like POGO but better :p

Vycarious

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is there by any chance a forum guild in Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes? Been playing this for a bit. I am at level 73.

lucas47

Lord Nagafen Raider
Archero - one of the best mobile games ever

It has ads but worth it.

• 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
No such thing as good mobile games. Fuck China and the bulk of companies from there. I remember a time when I thought it was grind fest Korean games that were the real aids in gaming.

None of this is a secret or a surprise, just like to see it called out.