Best place to live

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Austin TX is nice, but the traffic is horrendous. The weather is tolerable, tbh. While it does get hot, its not overly humid (such as Houston) and the winters are generally mild with usually less than 10 days a year actually going under freezing. August is generally the worst of the year. Austin is also a massive bastion of progressiveness in a state that is highly conservative and as such is not affordable to most people here - but is much more affordable than other places on your list. It's full of condo towers, a massive music scene that rivals (but does not exceed) Nashvilles, and has plenty to do. It's also ridiculously easy to get a job here (2.5% unemployment rate).

It might not be the *best* choice based on your criteria, but it's at least worth a look.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I lived in San Diego for the better part of 14 years. Aside from the affordability point, it should meet your criteria pretty well. If you do end up there, resist the temptation to live in the east county areas - you'll end up with the hot ass summers you're trying to avoid. There's still some deals to be had there though, from what I'd seen the housing market hasn't yet caught up to where it was before the burst.

I might also recommend checking out San Luis Obispo, CA. It's a central CA college town - it's pretty clean, low crime, small enough of a town that walking/biking most places isn't a chore. Shopping isn't bad, they have a huge farmer's market every week and their downtown area has a decent variety of shops, and most anything you want short of designer clothes is probably within 15 miles. They've got a growing beer scene if you're into that (and Firestone Walker's and a few other places within 30 mins drive), and Paso Robles about 30 mins up the road is pretty much all wine scene. I hadn't seen any of the local musicians in my time visiting there, but the Paso area gets a decent variety of bigger name acts especially in the summer. Tons of hiking, lots of trails within ~10 mins drive, and so many beach towns. Plus it's centrally located so if you wanted to make a weekend trip to SD, LA, San Jose, San Fran, etc it's all very doable. It's grown up a lot in the last 15 years (my in-law's live nearby and we visit probably about 3-5x a year), you might check it out.
You're the second person recently to mention SLO. How similar is the weather to San Diego?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don't know much about Perth, but Melbourne Australia is absolutely fantastic. Property isn't cheap, but isn't at Cali levels, and the food/culture/weather is phenomenal. Bangkok Thailand would also be high on my list assuming I could work anywhere. Dirt cheap (you can live like a king), very modern, pretty much every cuisine/culture you can imagine, weather is great (assuming you like tropical), good public transportation, women are gorgeous and low maintenance, and you're literally a one hour flight from countless stunning islands/beaches. About the only negative I can think of is pollution, but it's not any worse than LA/NY.
Isn't HIV a big issue in Thailand? Not joking

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Do you need to live in/right by Boulder? The Denver/Boulder area has a lot of good price area's (currently shopping for one and I live about 15 min south). Boulder is absolutely gorgeous, lots of great food/hiking/scenery, and its a quick drive over from a few other places. Shoot for halfway between Denver & Boulder for the great mix of mountains vs. city.

As for the weather, you can't really read online what it's like to live anywhere near here. You put it in your post but it'll go from a 36 hour (damn near) whiteout blizzard to 65-70 degrees the next day and vice versa. Weather coming off the Rockies brings a lot of peculiar and iffy speculation, but 300 days of sunshine means it melts quickly (usually). Other nice thing is there is next to no humidity here, maybe 5-15% on the worst of days in the summer when it gets hot and rainy.

One other thing to keep in mind, prices in Boulder specifically may be jacked because the flood 2 years ago destroyed a ton of shit. Freak of nature storm, sure, but I'd probably avoid buying there until it settles (may have already, don't go out there too often).
Don't need to live directly in Boulder. It would be nice though. I've come to learn living near a cool place is totally different from living in it. That said, if I could get pretty close i'd be happy.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Isn't HIV a big issue in Thailand? Not joking
Well, the rate is higher than the USA but it is by no means Africa like levels or anything. I'm not saying to rawdog hookers. You either settle down and find a nice Thai girl or you can pick from the ex-pats, of which there are many.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is proximity to your family in VA overriding your desire to avoid long, humid summers? 'Cause that's what you're gonna get in Raleigh. This one has been horrendous.
I would deal with it to be close to family. I live in Savannah Ga now so I know I could handle hot and humid. It's the other stuff with Raleigh I'm not sure about

Ceythos_sl

shitlord
You're the second person recently to mention SLO. How similar is the weather to San Diego?
I'd say pretty similar, with SLO having slightly more rain and slightly cooler winters from my experience. Much like SD, don't venture *too* far east in the later summer/early fall months though if you can avoid it because it can get really hot, really fast.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Nashville

If state income tax isn't a actor for you, it should be, and Nashville has none

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Culture, Cuisine, Mediterranean? Buy your own island from Greece. I don't know how boat traffic is there, though, and how far a boat gets you in 45 minutes.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Austin TX is nice, but the traffic is horrendous. The weather is tolerable, tbh. While it does get hot, its not overly humid (such as Houston) and the winters are generally mild with usually less than 10 days a year actually going under freezing. August is generally the worst of the year. Austin is also a massive bastion of progressiveness in a state that is highly conservative and as such is not affordable to most people here - but is much more affordable than other places on your list. It's full of condo towers, a massive music scene that rivals (but does not exceed) Nashvilles, and has plenty to do. It's also ridiculously easy to get a job here (2.5% unemployment rate).

It might not be the *best* choice based on your criteria, but it's at least worth a look.
Spent a week in Austin last summer. Had a great time. It had great night life and a fantastic music scene. I definitely considered it, but it was very hot and there are no mountains/beaches nearby.

Eonan

Doer of Things
Not to be a shill, but I fell in love with Lexington, KY after moving here a few years ago. Will go through your checklist and list the pro's and con's.

-Climate: All over the place. Spring and Fall are fantastic here. The local saying is "Don't like the weather today? Don't worry...it will be completely different tomorrow." and it's fairly accurate. This winter was a bad winter to judge, we had three 12"+ snow storms which is rare for this area. Summer hasn't been that bad this year (or the past few years really). The disadvantage is that it can get humid here at times, not nearly as bad as any coastal area but on an upper 90's day after a few days of rain it can be fairly unbearable.

-Affordability: It's pretty average, you're looking at $100 sq/ft if you're buying. Average listing price is around $270k, with the Median Sales Price sitting around $167k. Crime isn't much of an issue here unless you live in the downtown area surrounding the University of Kentucky campus. I lived downtown for two years and didn't have any issues personally, but if you turn on the news and there is crime being reported on, its either in the Louden Ave area (North Lexington, ghetto area), or near the UKY campus.

-Culture and Cuisine: Culture - Lexington is a somewhat progressive city due in large part to the University of Kentucky being located here. You'll likely find a 50-50 split of the local population being democrat/republican. Our Congressman (Andy Barr) is a Republican and largely useless (personal experiences from interacting with his staff). He ousted the 5-term Democrat Ben Chandler. So "culture" wise you'll hit every end of the spectrum here from the ultra-progressive to the ultra-conservative. History - Lots of history here, a pretty cool historic district. Lots of history with the various distilleries and early colonial history. Cleanliness - Pretty clean city, no air pollution to speak of. Does it get good music venues - Rupp Arena for some music, if you're looking for a fringe sort of venue you'd likely have to drive to Louisville (1 hour). Nightlife- Lots of local bars and clubs, as long as you don't mind college students. Cuisine - Lots of amazing restaurant heres. Malone's is one of the better steak houses I've been to. Their prime rib is the best I've had (St. Elmo's in Indianapolis has a far superior Ribeye though) Organic grocery stores/farmers markets - This is one of the major advantages of Lexington and one of the things I brag about the most. Lexington is a decent sized city that provides you with everything you'd need in a city, while being SURROUNDED by farm land. This means that we have not just a local farmers market that runs almost every day of the week (at different locations) but we also have a local supermarket co-op that sells local produce, meats, and the such.Here's the link to that.

-Convenience: The only area you'll really find any form of "traffic" on is Nichollasville Road. It's the "main" road leading out of downtown towards South Lexington and towards the mall area. Starts out as a 4-lane, expands to six as you approach the mall. Shopping isn't an issue, there really isn't anything you can't find for sale. Lots of boutique shops around the downtown area and around the Historic districts just south of downtown. Walking anywhere is pretty much out of the question unless you live downtown (again, unless you're a student at UKY its not really recommended). There is a bus system, and plenty of taxi services (thanks to the large student population).

-Local Points of Interest: Since you're big on outdoor activities I think you'd love Red River Gorge, its 45 mins to an hours drive from Lexington depending on where you are. Its a wildly popular hiking areahere's a link including trail maps and some pictures. It's part of the Daniel Boone National Forest. A big tourist draw is the "Bourbon Trail" which is less of a "trail" and more of a fairly large collection of bourbon distilleries that surround the greater Lexington area. There are a few micro-breweries in the area that have been fairly successful. One of the major locations in the city would be Keeneland for horse racing. Being Kentucky, horse racing is wildly popular here. The area's just outside of the Lexington city limits are home to some of the most beautiful and perfectly groomed horse farms you'll see anywhere in the world.

-Nearby Points of Interest: Lexington is located smack dab in the middle of Kentucky, putting damn near any points of interest that you may find in the state within the three hour drive requirement you listed. You're an hour from Cincinnati and Louisville, and three hours from Knoxville and Nashville. You mentioned being close to family that lives in Virginia as well, depending on where in Virginia they are you could be anywhere from 6-10 hours driving distance.
Anyways, shoot me a PM If you have any other questions.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My girlfriend lives in Austin. She hates it, but she's like me. More of a rural get the hell out of town type person. She makes almost as much as I do and she still complains about how much housing cost, and traffic. I live close enough I can run into town there if I need something or want to catch a band or something (about 1-1/2 hours give or take) without all the people, traffic and all that, but I realise that's not for 99% of the people.

No beach, the closest you come to that is to get out on the lake or the river which is incredibly popular this time of year for floating.

Prior to that she lived just outside of Lexington. She didn't like it either. Maybe the pattern here is she just likes to bitch.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It's been a couple years since I've lived in SD, but the few recent times I've been to visit it seems like the North County area's been pretty shitty traffic wise for some reason? Even when there wasn't something going on at Del Mar. I'm with you though on the transit point - as long as you don't need to hop multiple trolleys and buses to get where you're going, it's generally okay but if you're trying to get from like Santee to La Jolla? You're probably going to want to account for an extra 30 mins to catch the next bus somewhere along the way.
Traffic is just shit in southern california in general. Even on saturday afternoons I5 would be a parking lot for no reason.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Traffic is just shit in southern california in general. Even on saturday afternoons I5 would be a parking lot for no reason.
Someone had a flat and 14 lanes of traffic have to slow down to look at it. Never been to CA but that seems to be modus operandi for most places.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not sure it would fit, because item #1 is mostly contradicted but regardless here's my review of Brevard County, FL [outside Cape Canaveral - specifically Merritt Island]

-Climate: Sun, check. Arid/Semi-Arid, no humidity is technically high, HOWEVER outdoors due to an almost constant 4-7 mph breeze from the Gulf Stream often doesn't feel that hot outdoors (A/C however indoors is a must in most cases). ZERO winters (literally no snow recorded for the county that I see). Supposedly the average annual high is only 92F (this is supposed to be the hottest week of the year this past week, and our max was 92F one day)

-Affordability: Value is all over the place, there's literally multimillion dollar mansions to properties under $150k without leaving Merritt Island, even gorgeous canalfront properties like what I'm currently renting regularly sell around $300k. If you're willing to go off the island you can get enormous places in Palm Bay for example for under $200k with a pool. If you like being near water at all however, it's the most affordable community I've ever seen without making some large sacrifices.

-Culture and Cuisine: Well on Culture, we've got Ron Jon and Cocoa Beach as one aspect of culture - all the space program stuff here - and of course more mainstream "culture" aplenty if you hike 60-90 min away to Orlando. Cuisine is relatively hit or miss in the county itself, but again, Orlando and outlying areas to Orlando (60-90 min away) and you literally have anything you can dream of, for obvious reasons.

-Convenience: Traffic - Very light, goes for the entire county. Public transportation/walkability - not so great great for an area with this low of a population density though. (I'd compare it MD for both - while still rural) Crowded, not at all. Crime is below the national average, I think the lowest crime county in the entire state. Shopping is pretty amazing for such a small area, thanks to Cocoa Beach being next door we've got an amazing amount of shopping all within around 3 miles for quite a low population. (Besides Best Buy at least, only thing that involves a hike - that's about a 40 min trip to get to)

-Local Points of Interest:60-90 min from all the Orlando attractions (I don't need to go into it). Port Canaveral (scheduled to be the biggest cruise port in the US by 2020). Lots of springs/natural hiking trails (esp bird watching ones) nearby. Literally ON water to the point where I'd estimate 20-30% of the local population own a boat of some size. Literally can fish from quite a few homes - depending on where on the island even have manatees that will sun in the canal. [Ours is one such during the winter]

ZERO mountains (its Florida after all).

-Nearby Points of Interest: Already covered most of the 60-90 range since Orlando is so ubiquitous. Keys are around a 4 hr drive or so and seem like they'd be awesome (not visited yet).

And to just reinforce an aspect you seem to have heavily implied - due to the combination of a number of factors:
1) Affordability
2) Wonderful area with plentiful opportunities for entertainment of various sorts
3) ZERO state income tax
4) A very lenient homestead exemption on property tax
5) A generally tech/engineer heavy population due to NASA, the Air Force, and aeronautics industry being so large here.

There is a really booming population of "nerd culture" here that has really been pretty amazing - there's other groups like retirees and such too - but tons of work at home tech types have flocked here because of so many things that appeal to nerd culture.

[And while I do have a bias towards Merritt Island specifically, North Melbourne/Viera/PSJ is quite nice as well - slightly more affordable even I think, further from water though [like 20 min away] but would also have you within 35-40 min of Orlando, etc]

A possible negative to the county, and ESPECIALLY to Merritt Island however, is if you like a diverse mix of racial groups - Merritt Island itself is incredibly white, something like 97-98% with the county being in the upper 80% range.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Merritt Island
I was just in Melbourne this past spring to see some spring training stuff. I used to live in Ft. Myers, FL, and hated it, so I expected the same from Melbourne. I was really surprised at how much nicer that area of FL was. Very clean, not too much traffic, going downtown was fun, beach was great. I also found the best breakfast spot I've ever been to.

Not a fan of Miami or the Gulf Coast (don't know about the pan handle), but the space coast area is probably the one place in Florida I would consider moving after my experience this past spring. Thanks for the rec.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I was just in Melbourne this past spring to see some spring training stuff. I used to live in Ft. Myers, FL, and hated it, so I expected the same from Melbourne. I was really surprised at how much nicer that area of FL was. Very clean, not too much traffic, going downtown was fun, beach was great. I also found the best breakfast spot I've ever been to.

Not a fan of Miami or the Gulf Coast (don't know about the pan handle), but the space coast area is probably the one place in Florida I would consider moving after my experience this past spring. Thanks for the rec.
Might I ask what the breakfast spot was? And for training camp that likely was technically Viera, only stadium that I'm aware of is in Viera. (not a sports guy so only driven past though)

And yea, if affordability is a concern, definitely check the property values in comparison. They're honestly ludicrous here.

Definitely avoid Titusville/Mims from how you sound though - I'd label them as very "trashy" areas.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Might I ask what the breakfast spot was? And for training camp that likely was technically Viera, only stadium that I'm aware of is in Viera. (not a sports guy so only driven past though)

And yea, if affordability is a concern, definitely check the property values in comparison. They're honestly ludicrous here.

Definitely avoid Titusville/Mims from how you sound though - I'd label them as very "trashy" areas.
Yeah, the stadium we went to was in Viera (saw the Nats and Mets) but our hotel was in Indialantic right on the beach.

The breakfast spot was the Beachside Cafe. Not fancy at all, but the food was outstanding and it was impossible to leave anything but full. We found it the first day and literally ate there all 5 mornings. Gained fucking 5+ pounds too, but it was worth it.