Betrayed at Work

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
People here have some bad jobs with some bad people. It's easier to be fired due to someone crying wolf than it is for being an actual shitty employee. The sounds like typical large company bullshit.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
This. It's all about knowing how to read people well. Those who can't, should probably limit their socializing. Those who can, know where to draw the lines, etc.
I am far too loyal and trusting. And I guess I should back up what I said about earlier with no socializing. When I worked at the last company, I interacted with those around me, and we talked etc. But I just kept it on a professional level, never really busted out anything personal. And I would have NEVER spent any time with them outside of work. I just think that all will end up biting you in the ass in the end more often then not. I understand that it's all about social networking, and schmoozing those who have the power. It just needs to be kept in deep check in my personal experience and opinion.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
People here have some bad jobs with some bad people. It's easier to be fired due to someone crying wolf than it is for being an actual shitty employee. The sounds like typical large company bullshit.
I remember when I worked at Genentech before I left for nursing school that one of the intake reps (I worked in their Access Solutions providing free drug to people), he would often transfer the call to me while having me muted or whatever. This happened on numerous occasions. At one point, I even said, "You have me on mute." literally in a monotone voice. I got written up for apparently yelling at him. What a pansy bitch. He had some middle eastern name. Fuckers.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
lesson learned: don't trust people at your work, don't talk shit about people at your work that you wouldn't want others to hear. I make a rule not to say something about someone that I really wouldn't want them to find out about.

As for what to do, deny and let it blow over. Meanwhile watch yourself and don't retaliate.
/necro

Just posting because I didn't see this pointed out: the reason why so many people in upper management and so many CEOs are assholes is because you get ahead in the corporate world by screwing people over. Steve Jobs fucked over Steve Wozniak in their first deal, he ended up worth around 5 billion dollars, Wozniak probably has a hundred million or so left, if that. As for socializing... again didn't see this mentioned. You don't socialize by going out for drinks, you learn how to golf, play with your managers and let them win. Yes, the stereotypes are true.

1. Be an asshole to your peers and subordinates, suck up to Boss.
2. Play golf with Boss and Boss's Boss. Let them win.
3. Profit.

@OP having some friend screw you over is nothing, wait till the girl at work who doesn't like you accuses you of sexual harrassment when you've haven't talked to her for more than 3 minutes ever (because she's a total bitch).Good Times!So remember, always, and I mean always, CYA.

Dhameon

N00b
Thanks for the advice all. To follow up, I didn't get fired, but I was on the borderline of getting into serious trouble due to what we had "discussed." It was shit talk, but it was a certain kind of shit talk that is protected under law; I can't say more than that. Yes, it was incredibly stupid of me, but this was the banter the two of us had for years on end which isn't an excuse either. The new boss understood why I was hurt, and wanted me to bury the hatchet. I popped into this individuals office, stated I said some stupid things, and that we should bury the hatchet; we've spoken maybe 2 sentences in the last month.

Few things I've learned:
1) Know your audience. This piece of advice isn't helpful whatsoever because I thought I know my audience after a decade which leads me to:
2) Sadly, can't be friends with people. This is especially tough for me and those under me as I've cultivated an attitude that we spend as much time with each other as we do with our families so coming to work isn't about the 9-5 grind, but spending time with people you genuinely like. This was one of the main reasons why I got to where I am too, by bringing people together through friendship regardless of their attitudes or beliefs.
3) It's lonely at the top.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
During college I worked at a bank. I had a manager who I thought was a close friend. She ended up stealing my password and proceeded to steal 10k from the bank vault using my password to get past dual control. Lesson learned never trust anyone, especially around money and people will do almost anything to maintain their addictions.

Sulrn

Deuces
Few things I've learned:
1) Know your audience. This piece of advice isn't helpful whatsoever because I thought I know my audience after a decade which leads me to:
2) Sadly, can't be friends with people. This is especially tough for me and those under me as I've cultivated an attitude that we spend as much time with each other as we do with our families so coming to work isn't about the 9-5 grind, but spending time with people you genuinely like. This was one of the main reasons why I got to where I am too, by bringing people together through friendship regardless of their attitudes or beliefs.
3) It's lonely at the top.
Only #1 is valid. Your "friend" was a shitbag; plain and simple. Just like you point out, you move ahead by cultivating relationships. This one just had thorns. Be wary in the future, but there is no harm in continuing to make friends.

Glad you got yourself together and talked it out with the boss though and resolved things to burying the hatchet.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
"Its lonely at the top."

If you're doing it right, it should be lonely at the bottom/middle & top. Then, when you're at the "top" - you realize you aren't even close to the top. Everybody answers to somebody else in one way or another. Even those that work for themselves - you can't do business by yourself. Lesson learned, though I'm sure this one was tougher to take than most. Sounds like you made it out okay.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Meanwhile watch yourself and don't retaliate.
Tuco, your a better man than I. Because I would sabotage that guy left and right, and make it my mission to wreck his life.

But I am a hyper vindictive asshole.