Bicycling

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hope this is the right thread. I recently switched jobs and live ~12 miles from work. I plan on biking some of the days and was wondering what light to buy for the morning commute. I was looking at this but not sure if I could do better:

Amazon.com: The Best Rechargeable 1200 Lumen Bicycle Light - Outdoors
That looks like the latest version of the good old Chinese "Magic Shine" light, of which I have a few-year-old 900 lumen version. Independent testing revealed the 900 lumen ones to actually throw more like 600. I use mine more for night mountain biking and its plenty bright in pitch dark, though for solo riding on fast trails its best to have two, one on the bars and one on the helm.

The common knocks on these bargain lights have been overheating and some people getting bad or even faulty battery packs with some concern for potential fire hazard. I've never had an issue with mine and many others have gone worry free as well. The light itself is plenty well made for the cost. You could search ebay for Magic Shine or Cree lighting if you want to compare prices, though I really don't know what's out there currently since I haven't needed to research lighting for some time.

Anyway, even if that light is really more of a 900 lumen rating rather than the claimed 1200 it will be more than sufficient for road commuting. I personally think you can get away with much less illumination for your purposes but at that price why not. Going 600 or more is really getting towards being an actual "headlight", whereas in many places your road lights are as much or more about visibility to cars as they are for you being able to see in front of you.

Don't forget a taillight too. Honestly there's so many lighting options these days, you can go as cheap/simple to as high tech/expensive as your heart desires.

Probably far more information on lighting than you will ever need here:

Mtbr Forums

Road bike review's forums might have a section as well, not sure.

Seventh

Golden Squire

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Thank you for the advice on bike lights guys. On a related note, can I get your thoughts on this bike for commuting purposes?

Nashbar Flat Bar Road Bike - Overweight Code F Restricted
What's your average commute going to be?

I've heard mixed reviews about nashbar bikes mainly because you do get what you pay for. Overall I'd say it will probably get you from point A to point B, just make sure you are competent enough to build the bike yourself since it will come partially disassembled(youtube videos and an ounce of mechanical aptitude will work) or have a LBS do it(usually charge around 60~ bucks). Check all the bolts, even if it came installed, since it was likely built over in china by some child.

I'd first probably invest in some bigger/better tires, if you are a heavier guy/new to cycling riding on 23/25s isn't exactly a plush feeling.

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
What's your average commute going to be?

I've heard mixed reviews about nashbar bikes mainly because you do get what you pay for. Overall I'd say it will probably get you from point A to point B, just make sure you are competent enough to build the bike yourself since it will come partially disassembled(youtube videos and an ounce of mechanical aptitude will work) or have a LBS do it(usually charge around 60~ bucks). Check all the bolts, even if it came installed, since it was likely built over in china by some child.

I'd first probably invest in some bigger/better tires, if you are a heavier guy/new to cycling riding on 23/25s isn't exactly a plush feeling.
~12 miles to work and 12 miles back. I plan on starting off with bike commuting Tues/Thurs and see if I can build up from there.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
~12 miles to work and 12 miles back. I plan on starting off with bike commuting Tues/Thurs and see if I can build up from there.
Yeah, it's best to start out one/two days a week and get your fitness up to handle that. 12 miles each way is a sizeable commute. I'd also look into getting a rear rack and a pannier for clothes/food/tools since 12 miles is a long way to go with a backpack.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thank you for all of the advice guys. I haven't bought the bike yet so now I have one more question. How do these two bikes compare? The Nashbar was going for $250 but now it's going for $299.

Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Gravity Avenue FB | Save up to 60% off new road bikes

Nashbar Flat Bar Road Bike - Road Bikes
Double your budget and buy an entry level road or mountain bike instead of a hybrid. I know you don't want to hear that but if you stick with it you may likely look back and wish you had bought something else.

Rabkorik

Double your budget and buy an entry level road or mountain bike instead of a hybrid. I know you don't want to hear that but if you stick with it you may likely look back and wish you had bought something else.
I'm ok with any and all advice. What would you recommend? Anything on the Bikes Direct site I linked in particular? I was looking at the flat bar bikes because I had went on a 17 mile ride with my brother in law's road bike and was super uncomfortable, but maybe that is something you get used to.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm ok with any and all advice. What would you recommend? Anything on the Bikes Direct site I linked in particular? I was looking at the flat bar bikes because I had went on a 17 mile ride with my brother in law's road bike and was super uncomfortable, but maybe that is something you get used to.
Its not uncomfortable once you set it up right for the rider. Also yes its a matter of conditioning to be used to it.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just hit the road or mountain tab in the BD site and browse. I just personally regard hybrids as the worst of both worlds. If you were just buying for fitness and going to ride it on short crushed gravel then fine, but for commuting 24 miles a day I say get a bike that's designed for road riding.

Rabkorik

I'm slightly confused. At the top, there are tabs for Road, Mountain, Comfort, Cruiser and Hybrid. I found the flatbar bikes under the 'Road' category but I assume you mean anything not flatbar under the 'Road' category.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its a hybrid, you can see in the description "Compare to Trek and Giant Hybrid and Fitness bicycles", look for road bikes with drop bars. I'm being an enthusiast here I guess, that bike isn't bad or wrong but its trying to be two things at once IMO. Get one that's trying to be the one thing you are looking for, which is a road bike. But if a hybrid style is what you're going to be more comfortable with then get it. Its best to get something you will ride rather than listening to me and getting something that doesn't make sense to you.

This is why it sucks to ask bicycle people anything instead of just getting a bike and riding and asking more questions later.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Its a hybrid, you can see in the description "Compare to Trek and Giant Hybrid and Fitness bicycles", look for road bikes with drop bars. I'm being an enthusiast here I guess, that bike isn't bad or wrong but its trying to be two things at once IMO. Get one that's trying to be the one thing you are looking for, which is a road bike. But if a hybrid style is what you're going to be more comfortable with then get it. Its best to get something you will ride rather than listening to me and getting something that doesn't make sense to you.

This is why it sucks to ask bicycle people anything instead of just getting a bike and riding and asking more questions later.
Not everyone is comfortable on a road bike especially beginners. It's good to start cheap cause them if they realize they aren't into it, they are only out a couple hundred bucks instead of a grand. My friend just bought a road bike to commute on and had crashed it three times already cause he's not used to riding on 23s or the twitchy handling.

Plus all he has to do is swap to drop bars on that bike and it's practically a road bike.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Not everyone is comfortable on a road bike especially beginners. It's good to start cheap cause them if they realize they aren't into it, they are only out a couple hundred bucks instead of a grand. My friend just bought a road bike to commute on and had crashed it three times already cause he's not used to riding on 23s or the twitchy handling.

Plus all he has to do is swap to drop bars on that bike and it's practically a road bike.
If he buys a decent bike and he doesn't like riding after getting it fit properly, he can resell it on craigslist for close to stock. If he buys that commuter he's gonna have a harder time reselling it for lower loss.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
If he buys a decent bike and he doesn't like riding after getting it fit properly, he can resell it on craigslist for close to stock. If he buys that commuter he's gonna have a harder time reselling it for lower loss.
You'll only ever get maybe half of retail value from a used bike, so if he bought a 600 dollar bike he'd maybe get 350 back. That's the cost of the nashbar bike.

Rabkorik

I think I've narrowed it down to 4 options. I've ridden on a road bike a few more times since my last comment (16.7 miles, 14.4 miles, and 13.3 miles). I now understand the value of the drop bars when biking into a headwind.

Let me know what you guys think (including if all options are terrible).

Save Up to 60% Off Road Bikes - Windsor Wellington 3.0 Web Sale Prices- $379

Save Up to 60% Off Shimano Claris Carbon Fork Road Bikes - Windsor Wellington SL Web Sale Prices- $499

Save Up to 60% Off Road Bikes - Motobecane Mirage S- $449

Last option: Used 2009 Raleigh Clubman in pretty good condition (I think) for $300.

If you need more information, please let me know.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The first thing I notice is that the first has a seven speed cassette while the others are eight.

The second one has a triple crankset while the third is a compact. I'm going to say as a newbie you're better off with a greater range of gears. No, I'm not just picking the most expensive one.
tongue.png

If the Raleigh is the one onBikepedia, then the first thing I notice is that its is all steel. Now, many people are great fans of steel, myself included to a degree, but it IS heavier, which can have an effect. Didn't you say you're commuting 12 miles one way? Are there hills? This might start to take its toll. Its kind of a retro touring bike. It could really make a fine commuter, but it somewhat depends on you and your commute.

I forgot to ask before, will this bike be locked up outside while you work? If so is it an area likely to see theft? If you can secure it indoors then great, no worries. But locking it up outside brings a bit of a different approach to the table sometimes.

Rabkorik

That is the bike (Raleigh). The difference is there are bar end shifters on it and these tires:Amazon.com : Continental Gatorskin Wire Bead Road Bike Tire : Sports Outdoors

I biked one way to work on Tuesday and it is pretty hilly. Do you think the other bikes would be easier with the hills? It wasn't too bad, but near the top of each hill I did notice my legs were toasty. They got better after each hill though. The commute is 13.3 miles.

I don't know if it helps but I'm 5'9" 145lbs and in decent shape. My reasons for doing the commute on bike are for cardio and the savings.

I was going to start by driving Monday morning, biking home Monday night and back in Tuesday morning, then driving home Tuesday night etc... so locking it up won't be an issue because I can just leave it in my SUV while at work.