Bicycling

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
Looking for some advice:
I'm considering buying a bike with a titanium frame that's probably been in a crash. Is there any way of knowing if the frame is safe? Assuming there are no visible indications of damage, is an old titanium frame (1990s) that's been in a crash of unknown seriousness worth anything? How much?

Additionally, how much does full shimano 600 add to the value of a bike?

I think the guy is asking too much (the ad's been on CL for at least 2 weeks) but i need some confidence to give a counter offer that's much lower.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How much is he asking?

I don't know much about Ti, but Ithinkits similar to steel in that a dent doesn't affect structural integrity and cracks can actually be welded unlike AL or obviously unlike composites.

That being said, not enough info to judge worth. There's forums and websites out there to price classic bikes though. I doubt the groupset does much of anything for the value. Ti is a lifetime sort of material but the manufacturer can vary the quality of the frame as well.

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pretty much this exactly:
http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-841095.html

The bike was thrown off a loft into a truck. The frame looks fine. He's asking $900 but both rims are totaled (not just out of true but there's a place where the edge is actually bent inward towards the tube). I'm skeptical as to whether the carbon fork is still safe because the front rim was pretty bent. Basically he's asking $900 for the frame, handlebars, seat, and shimano 600 which seems like a lot considering the bike doesn't ride and new rims will cost a fortune.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd offer $500 and see what he says. From what I can determine with quick googling people get $1k or more for it complete with Campy stuff, so he is asking a bit high for a bike that's totaled.

If you want it built up as close to classic stock as possible then having the bars and seat is something though. Might be tough to match the fork perfectly. You can check the carbon for any hint of damage I guess but it is pretty sketchy to assume its structurally sound.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm 6'3", how big of a bike do I need? I tried a 56cm one yesterday and it didn't feel right, do I need larger or smaller? I'm trying to craigslist something shitty and cheap to determine if I even want to bother trying to bike my commute, or just walk it instead.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Too small. I'm 6'3" with probably another half inch or so towards 6'4" and both my road bikes are 60's. I know guys in the 6'2" range that manage 58's, I could probably do it too depending on the frame but I prefer a bigger frame to having that much seat post showing and having to struggle more to dial in fit with the bars/stem as well. Some people prefer to deal with sizing down a bit because the frame is lighter, but I'm not really that big of a weight weenie so I just go for the bike that matches my height better.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm 6'3", how big of a bike do I need? I tried a 56cm one yesterday and it didn't feel right, do I need larger or smaller? I'm trying to craigslist something shitty and cheap to determine if I even want to bother trying to bike my commute, or just walk it instead.
I'm like 6' (alright, 5'11") and a 56 is as small as I'd go, though some 58s are too big for me. those are going to be hella small for you.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
You really do have to ride some bikes to get a feel, but I am 5'12" (Just shy enough of 6' to where I won't call myself that tall) and I ride either 58 or even 60 on some road bikes depending on brand. I feel more comfortable on a bigger frame though. I also ride a 'Large' for my mountain bike even though I should be able to fit on a medium.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
look at the top tube more than the seat tube measurement. I'd guess you'd be lookigng at 58-61cm bikes though

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
look at the top tube more than the seat tube measurement. I'd guess you'd be lookigng at 58-61cm bikes though
Mh6Wd7E.jpg

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea it felt too small when I sat on it, but the dude only wanted 100$ and the frame looked clean (no rust etc) so I was hoping to make it work. But if it's gonna be that big of a pain I'll keep trolling craigslist.

I looked at the bike shop near me, but everything for road bikes started at like 400$ and went up. Wasn't really planning to drop that much on my first bike in ~10 years, but I might have to as most things on craigslist are beat to shit or some stupid hipster fixie with no brakes.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It usually takes a while to find what you're looking for in your size on CL. If you're just doing a short commute, might want to open up to the idea of cheap mountain bikes too. You said its walkable, so although road bikes are better on the road in general for short distances a mountain bike can work. Might want to keep it cheap as possible depending on your theft risk situation too.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Any recommendations for a cheap mountain bike ($200 or less)? I mostly want to do some light trail riding on the weekends. For people around Maryland, I'll be riding in places like Great Falls, Patapsco State Park, etc.

I had a pretty good one that I stupidly let sit out unprotected for the 3ish years I spent overseas. I just checked it out and it's completely rusted and worthless so I want to get another one and get back into riding. I'm keeping my eye on Craigslist to see if I can get a good deal on a decent used bike, but in the mean time I'd like to get an idea of a cheap new one I could buy.

*edit* I should mention I'm 6'1" so generally the bigger the better. I've always had a problem with bikes being too small.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It usually takes a while to find what you're looking for in your size on CL. If you're just doing a short commute, might want to open up to the idea of cheap mountain bikes too. You said its walkable, so although road bikes are better on the road in general for short distances a mountain bike can work. Might want to keep it cheap as possible depending on your theft risk situation too.
Well by "walk" the commute I mean walk to the train station. I'm hoping to just bike directly to my office, which is about 4-5 miles. And yea, craigslist bikes are all tiny so far, or completely torn apart.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Any recommendations for a cheap mountain bike ($200 or less)? I mostly want to do some light trail riding on the weekends. For people around Maryland, I'll be riding in places like Great Falls, Patapsco State Park, etc.

I had a pretty good one that I stupidly let sit out unprotected for the 3ish years I spent overseas. I just checked it out and it's completely rusted and worthless so I want to get another one and get back into riding. I'm keeping my eye on Craigslist to see if I can get a good deal on a decent used bike, but in the mean time I'd like to get an idea of a cheap new one I could buy.

*edit* I should mention I'm 6'1" so generally the bigger the better. I've always had a problem with bikes being too small.
What's the three year old bike exactly, and what's rusted? Probably just the chain and the rings/cassette. Assuming you could replace them, oil up the ders and the cables (or replace the cables) for around the same price. A $200 mountain bike is usually going to be garbage and even spending 2-3 times that much at a shop on an entry level one will probably just leave you frustrated after Patapsco beats your entry level components into junk. That's the thing about mountain biking, I feel like the more you spend the better the experience gets exponentially. On the road you can get your feet wet for cheap and enjoy essentially the same experience since you won't notice the performance difference too much as a road newbie. The cheap wheels that get thrown on low end mountain bikes alone are going to be a headache with the rocks and roots at Patapsco.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
What's the three year old bike exactly, and what's rusted? Probably just the chain and the rings/cassette. Assuming you could replace them, oil up the ders and the cables (or replace the cables) for around the same price. A $200 mountain bike is usually going to be garbage and even spending 2-3 times that much at a shop on an entry level one will probably just leave you frustrated after Patapsco beats your entry level components into junk. That's the thing about mountain biking, I feel like the more you spend the better the experience gets exponentially. On the road you can get your feet wet for cheap and enjoy essentially the same experience since you won't notice the performance difference too much as a road newbie. The cheap wheels that get thrown on low end mountain bikes alone are going to be a headache with the rocks and roots at Patapsco.
Sadly my old bike is so rusted I can't even read what's written on it anymore, so I have no idea what brand it is. My brother bought it used from a coworker about 10 years ago, and I got it from him about 5 years ago and rode it for a couple years before going abroad. Everything on it is rusted...the chain, of course, but even the metal parts of the wheels and the spokes, as well as the gears and all the metal parts of the braking system. It really is beyond feasible repair.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Any Canadians have any experiences with ordering from Chain Reaction Cycles? I just ordered a bike bag from them that I'll need in just under two weeks to fly with my bike, curious if it'll arrive in time or not. Worse comes to worse I can just rent at my destination.

Looking forward to getting some sweet, sweet downhilling in this summer!

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sadly my old bike is so rusted I can't even read what's written on it anymore, so I have no idea what brand it is. My brother bought it used from a coworker about 10 years ago, and I got it from him about 5 years ago and rode it for a couple years before going abroad. Everything on it is rusted...the chain, of course, but even the metal parts of the wheels and the spokes, as well as the gears and all the metal parts of the braking system. It really is beyond feasible repair.
Craig's list is pretty hit or miss on used mountain bikes in the mid Atlantic in my experience, but its worth keeping an eye out for stuff if you know what size you want/need. I'll keep an eye on the thread and/or you can PM me if you find something you have questions about. If you KNEW with reasonable certainty you'd be doing the sport with regularity I'd usually recommend going for a new hardtail from a shop and spending around a grand. If you aren't so sure then I don't blame you for wanting to spend less. If you find at the end of the year that you're hooked Race Pace tends to have lots of floor stock and from January through March its worth keeping an eye on the site for closeout specials. Ditto for any other local shop but Race Pace seems to have the most overall stock across their four locations.