Bicycling

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lots of entry level road frames have eyelets too. My old beater Trek 1000 does and I put a rack on it. I've seen low end MTB frames with them as well. Didn't really sound like he needed it to be off road capable for the weekends. If it came to that he can come back and ask for MTB advice later!

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seriously? That's worth it.

Can you link me an entry level road bike?
If you don't know much about bikes I'd say just go to your local name brand bike shop (not Wal-Mart!) and have them help you out. Probably pay from $300-$500 and yes it should be tons faster than riding an old beater MTB.

There's also online options. Such as:Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Gravity Avenue A | Save up to 60% off new road bikesMight have some assembly and adjustment to do though so not normally recommended to newbies but then again everything about bike maintenance is online/youtube.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
If you don't know much about bikes I'd say just go to your local name brand bike shop (not Wal-Mart!) and have them help you out. Probably pay from $300-$500 and yes it should be tons faster than riding an old beater MTB.

There's also online options. Such as:Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Gravity Avenue A | Save up to 60% off new road bikesMight have some assembly and adjustment to do though so not normally recommended to newbies but then again everything about bike maintenance is online/youtube.
Nice, thanks. Assembly isn't an issue for me, I'm pretty handy and have biking friends.

You seriously think a road bike will make that much difference in my time?

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Nice, thanks. Assembly isn't an issue for me, I'm pretty handy and have biking friends.

Depending on how shitty your current bike is, it probably could cut like 20 to 30% of your time off.

Bikesdirect is a good place for cheap beater bikes, just make sure you know what size you ride and order the right bike.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Lots of entry level road frames have eyelets too. My old beater Trek 1000 does and I put a rack on it. I've seen low end MTB frames with them as well. Didn't really sound like he needed it to be off road capable for the weekends. If it came to that he can come back and ask for MTB advice later!
Guess they are still making most bikes with rear eyelets according to my googlefu. I just want him to buy a caadx 105 because I really want that bike.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Guess they are still making most bikes with rear eyelets according to my googlefu. I just want him to buy a caadx 105 because I really want that bike.
I love my 105
smile.png

Edit...May upgrade to hydraulic discs at some point though, or may just buy a road bike for the commute and swap the caadx back to knobblies

Seventh

Golden Squire
That's what I was going for before I ended up with the Giant. The Revolt ended up being cheaper, and could fit 45s. Love the 105 though, fucking awesome bike. If I did actual CX instead of Some Asshole Riding a CX Bike On MTB Trails, I'd have gone that way.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I love my 105
smile.png

Edit...May upgrade to hydraulic discs at some point though, or may just buy a road bike for the commute and swap the caadx back to knobblies
One thing that I really like that I overlooked was the double lever setup that you get with Mechanicals. I originally planned to take them off on day 1 but as it turns out they're fantastic for fast descending. I'm pretty sure you can't do that with hydros, otherwise I'd put XTs on my bike heh.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Shimano have started doing a 105 hydro brakes, compatible with the standard 105 drivetrain but hides a tiny oil reservoir in the hoods. Theyre suposed to be pretty good. The rotors are useless to me though as the shimano one is the centre lock style only, and my wheels have the standard bolt hubs. But thats no biggy. Could just swap out my levers and calipers. Will have to see in the new year.

Edit: I was after a new mtb early next year so that will decide what I do
smile.png

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I may have exaggerated a bit but it would have to be better than an old beater MTB. Just skinny tires alone should make you faster. I don't know much about the bike you're riding now or the route you have to take to work either though. I'm very much about a "right tool for the job" approach to bikes though, so unless you are riding crushed gravel multi use paths the whole way or something I'm going to say road bike for pavement every time. Or if its like a greenway sort of paved path that's zero cars just bikes and joggers/walkers I could see maybe not bothering with a road bike, but if you are on streets then yes.

Go to a bike shop and test ride a couple real drop bar road bikes and see what you think. You may hate it or you may say "wow" at how much quicker it feels.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shimano have started doing a 105 hydro brakes, compatible with the standard 105 drivetrain but hides a tiny oil reservoir in the hoods. Theyre suposed to be pretty good. The rotors are useless to me though as the shimano one is the centre lock style only, and my wheels have the standard bolt hubs. But thats no biggy. Could just swap out my levers and calipers. Will have to see in the new year.

Edit: I was after a new mtb early next year so that will decide what I do
smile.png
They have centerlock > six bolt adapters too.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I always shy away from buying online... you have to get it fixed someplace, might as well buy it from the guys who will eventually fix it. I also don't know if the websites will keep your serial number in case the bike gets stolen, but the local shops around me do (along with any different part upgrades to help with an insurance quote). Also, you REALLY need to know how a bike fits and what size you want before you buy it, and I never thought that the online retailers would be super helpful in fits.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
You know you can always take a picture of the serial number, it's not some bike shop specific task and be a man and do your repairs yourself.

The main issue is the bike fit since most people have no idea what a good bike fit looks like.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I do all my own work. If that's an issue then yeah, its a drawback for online sales. Most frame sizing is standard enough that you can figure out the right one without seeing it in person.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I may have exaggerated a bit but it would have to be better than an old beater MTB. Just skinny tires alone should make you faster. I don't know much about the bike you're riding now or the route you have to take to work either though. I'm very much about a "right tool for the job" approach to bikes though, so unless you are riding crushed gravel multi use paths the whole way or something I'm going to say road bike for pavement every time. Or if its like a greenway sort of paved path that's zero cars just bikes and joggers/walkers I could see maybe not bothering with a road bike, but if you are on streets then yes.

Go to a bike shop and test ride a couple real drop bar road bikes and see what you think. You may hate it or you may say "wow" at how much quicker it feels.
This is excellent advice which I am going to follow. I will report back.

My route is heavy traffic paved roads the whole way. A road bike makes sense.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
This is excellent advice which I am going to follow. I will report back.

My route is heavy traffic paved roads the whole way. A road bike makes sense.
If you're in a money saving mood, you might just try and see if you can get smooth tires in a size that fits your rim. There's a lot of drag in knobby tires.

Seventh

Golden Squire
You know you can always take a picture of the serial number, it's not some bike shop specific task and be a man and do your repairs yourself.

The main issue is the bike fit since most people have no idea what a good bike fit looks like.
I get a pro tune-up every few months on my carbon bikes. I ride the ever living hell out of them (averaging 8-10 hours per week all year) and the little extra peace of mind is worth it to me. I'm a decent wrench but my LBS dudes have the magic.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Also, now is a good time to start your fall season burn and really ramp the cardio up so that you can come out the other side of the holiday season and still fit into your kit. When Thanksgiving and Christmas roll around, you'd swear I was on a mission to give myself diabetes. I eat pretty well all year long but man, holiday cookies and candy pumpkins are my achilles heel this time of year.
biggrin.png

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I get a pro tune-up every few months on my carbon bikes. I ride the ever living hell out of them (averaging 8-10 hours per week all year) and the little extra peace of mind is worth it to me. I'm a decent wrench but my LBS dudes have the magic.
Replace a chain once a year, check the brakes and true a wheel when it hops. Done.

I break too much shit on a regular basis for me to be paying people to fix it.

Here's my latest whoopsie.