Bicycling

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
They had a recall on those forks years back but I wasn't the original owner so I didn't qualify. I was racing a CX race and knew something was wrong. It felt like my skewer had come loose but I said screw it, I'll just finish the race and deal with it. Tried to jump over a log and there it went much to the delight of the hecklers. It was pretty funny and I didn't get hurt.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
If you're in a money saving mood, you might just try and see if you can get smooth tires in a size that fits your rim. There's a lot of drag in knobby tires.
He's on a CCM. That's basically the definition of a Wal-Mart bike. Worse in fact: it's a Canadian Tire bike. I don't know much about road bikes, but anything is going to be better than a CCM MB.

penalty_sl

shitlord
Has anyone bought a frame and built their own MTB piece by piece?

Seeing people do their own builds on bikeradar forum makes me really wanna do it that way. So much more customization and usually ends up looking cooler and being lighter. My buddy did it also and his bike weighs freaking nothing, then I go to the bike store and see a bike for the same price and it weights 8lbs more with a shitty suntour fork.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, its not hard. Do you do your own wrenching? If you're used to working on bikes its not that big a deal. Especially if you have a set of bike tools already. Worst case scenario is needing a headset press. Sometimes you can find a frame with a headset installed though.

Even more than forks (if you buy a nicer complete MTB it will have a nicer fork) is picking your own wheelset. I'm a total believer in upgrading wheels, when you're newer its hard to justify the price point, but nothing other than the frame has as much effect on your bikes ride quality and usually weight too. Building your own you don't have to deal with stock wheelsets. So many manufacturers (SPECIALIZED) stock bikes with garbage wheelsets. Once again, the more you spend on completes the more you get all around, and I'm seeing lots of MTB's now with stock Stan's rims and cartridge bearing hubsets, but its still nicer to pick your own wheelbuild. Plenty of good online wheelbuilders out there.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
It's worth the investment even to buy the tools needed to install your new parts. About the only thing that's worth not paying the lbs for is a headset pressing and cutting a fork steerer/star nut installation.

Edit: forgot to add, if you get anything carbon, for the love of God, get a torque wrench.

penalty_sl

shitlord
Finally found a bike I was happy with. Now to get a few rides in before the snow hits, then lose 20lbs before next summer so I can really shred the trails. Was expecting this thing to be heavier as its a steel frame but its light as hell.
rrr_img_114160.jpg

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Finally found a bike I was happy with. Now to get a few rides in before the snow hits, then lose 20lbs before next summer so I can really shred the trails. Was expecting this thing to be heavier as its a steel frame but its light as hell.
rrr_img_114160.jpg
How much wider can you go with tires? If you're ok with having to do some maintenance on that fork, there is zero reason not to ride during the winter.

penalty_sl

shitlord
The tires seem wide enough as is to ride in the winter, I guess its just a matter of me learning how to maintain the bike after winter rides and getting some proper winter riding clothing.

My bike before this one was a shitty 40lb sporting goods bike that I rode to hell and back. So I have a lot to learn.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like that better than the one you messaged me the CL ad for, is that a Thompson seat post?

I'm a big steel fan too though, love the way it rides and feels. I actually dislike the carbon bikes I've tried. Lighter frames are nice and fast and flickable but I hate the chatter when I'm doing a long day on a rough trail.

Just ride it until you notice anything you want to change (or something breaks) then think about upgrades. I'd be a little careful about snow riding just because the frame is steel. I sprayed the inside of mine with frame saver before I built it up, but I get the impression you aren't likely to tear it down so that's not necessarily an option. If you have bike handy friends though and have down time during the winter its something to think about.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, lol, better is a huge understatement. Do they even make new bikes with tube or bar shifters anymore?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Going to get a bike for my brother for christmas since he's talking up trying to get in better shape and likes how I don't really have to go out of my way for it when it's my commute. I want to just get him something low end so his lack of experience isn't expensive, and I doubt he'll develop an interest in maintaining it. These are what I'm thinking right now. Is there something else I should consider instead?

Amazon.com : Vilano Shadow Road Bike - Shimano STI Integrated Shifters : Road Bicycles : Sports Outdoors

Amazon.com : Giordano Libero 1.6 Road Bike, Black/Red, 56cm/Medium : Sports Outdoors

I'm a bit reluctant to get him integrated shifters when I don't have them, since I can't reassure him from a place of authority as to their superiority. I've had the same bike for almost two decades now, and don't see the need to change, but my brother likes new things and getting him a used bike is just going to discourage him from getting on it. At the same time, I'd rather get him something with a modern feature set. They must be popular for a reason.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's no reason not to have them, they are better in every possible way. Not that you can't still use a bike with an older design like yours of course, but there's really no argument about the functionality and convenience. Just look at youtube or something if you don't know how they work, its not hard to figure out. Easier if he has the basic idea of shifting down already.

Don't really have suggestions on bikes, they look fine for something low end like you want.