Bicycling

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Started biking a month ago with my dog using theWalkydog. Been going pretty good, out of shape but keep going longer distances everyday. Just picked up aCateye strada bike computerand it seems to be working out great so far.

My dog absolutely loves it but yesterday tore up one of his pads. Going to have to get him some dog booties or something. Anyone bike with their dog at all? Thinking of going with theruffwear bootsthat seem to have decent reviews. Anyone have experience with these or others?
I think conventional wisdom is the bike is too much advantage and the dog will run himself into injury to keep up with you. I mostly see people running with their dogs not biking.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I think conventional wisdom is the bike is too much advantage and the dog will run himself into injury to keep up with you. I mostly see people running with their dogs not biking.
That is definitely my fear, though this injury wasn't from that I don't think.

I definitely agree that once I get into some sort of shape, he won't be able to do long sets of miles everyday. I was already planning on not taking him for entire trips when I start going longer distances.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People trail ride with dogs all the time to no detriment. The pads are going to take more of a beating on pavement though I expect. How well the dog can keep up physically depends on the breed, some just aren't as built for it. There should be a good bit of info out there on riding with dogs if you google it.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
My issue with my saddle is that I always get pressure like ulcers from my saddle. No matter how many hours I put into cycling, I still get horrible sores. Not sure if it's poor saddle choice or what. ;(

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
People trail ride with dogs all the time to no detriment. The pads are going to take more of a beating on pavement though I expect. How well the dog can keep up physically depends on the breed, some just aren't as built for it. There should be a good bit of info out there on riding with dogs if you google it.
People don't trail ride with dogs attached to the bike, do they?

My issue with my saddle is that I always get pressure like ulcers from my saddle. No matter how many hours I put into cycling, I still get horrible sores. Not sure if it's poor saddle choice or what. ;(
Saddle balm/chammy cream? Padded shorts?

What kind of saddle are you using? You're in CA, you never get winter, buy a brooks already.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
There's some pretty awesome videos of "downhill dogs" out there, like this one:

Obviously that particular dog is pretty ridiculous, and most dogs aren't going to be capable of that. But that would be pretty awesome to have a riding buddy like that.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I guess I wasn't thinking MTB with the dog following you since the distances and speeds will be much lower, I was thinking road biking. I'd definitely keep an eye on your four legged friend though. Bike is a huge advantage, human.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I would think road biking would fuck up just about any dog if the human is in reasonable shape. I know my bud who has a very active and fit black Russian terrier has given up on taking it on long distance hikes because it's paws get too wrecked for it. He does pretty big hikes, though.

I tried riding my bike with my 120 lb german shep when I was about 13 or 14, and probably the same weight. He saw a rabbit, took off, and pulled me over my handlebars before I knew what was happening. Never again.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider

What kind of saddle are you using? You're in CA, you never get winter, buy a brooks already.
This is sound advice, my brooks c15 is amazing, I can do 45 miles easy without bibs on and not even care. It also looks normal on a modern road bike which is a bonus.

I'd say go to a good bike shop (not performance) and see if they can do a sit bone measurement and what not.

Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had issues with saddle sores even with rising 7days a week.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
This is sound advice, my brooks c15 is amazing, I can do 45 miles easy without bibs on and not even care. It also looks normal on a modern road bike which is a bonus.

I'd say go to a good bike shop (not performance) and see if they can do a sit bone measurement and what not.

Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had issues with saddle sores even with rising 7days a week.
I'm in-between in getting a cambium for winter riding...

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Certainly not, I just meant in general if he's doing casual riding a dog should be able to keep up, since Cad suggested its not fair to the dog. That's a Vizsla in Eomer's vid, they are supposed to be the best breed for trail riding overall, but a variety of breeds do take to mountain biking quite well. Serious road riding of course they wouldn't be able to hang, and the pavement does tear them up. Even on dirt you're supposed to be very aware of their pads and nails.

He lives in SF though, its never truly dry much of the year either.

You're definitely doing something wrong though, K. Plenty of people ride all the time without sores. Could be anything from your saddle size/quality, your riding clothes choices...maybe even your bike fit/riding posture/form? Its one of those things the individual has to pin down through trial and error. Hard to diagnose over the e-tubes.

I had a time when I started getting some sores, but I realized it was not washing my clothes enough. The pads get pretty nasty I guess if you only ever hang them to dry. I think I was getting like minor skin infections at the contact points and the friction from riding only made them worse. Something to consider if you sweat a lot or have a hairy ass, I guess it could be ingrown hairs sometimes too. I'm assuming you shave down there though, at least in my nightly hot bi-curious cycling fantasy dreams about you that I'll never admit to having.

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
My first thought when saddles sores were mentioned were the chamois. For me the sweat build up and resulting friction/chafing was what caused my saddle sores.

Also another nod for the Brooks saddles. Expensive but after the break in sooooooo worth it.

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have a golden doodle that is a trail dog. She is pretty high energy and just loves the trails. As soon as I start to put on my gear she goes and waits at the door. Of course no leash for her.

For me it was just learning a balance that was best for both of us. For example; I would keep a slower pace on anything flat that would just keep her at a steady trot then on the uphill climb she would basically walk up as I was spinning away in pain. Then on my down hill sections it was last one down was the loser. So much fun because she loved it and I could hardly get her to wait for me to change my gear from climbing to descending before she would take off down the trail. I have some footage of us racing down a few trails I should upload sometime.

I am headed to rays indoor mtb park in WI. I have never been it looks to be a good time.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Good conversation on the saddle too, going to try out the WTB saddle.
I run the WTB Pure V as well, on all of my bikes. I've tried a bunch of higher end/way more expensive ones and at the end of the day it all comes down to what your ass likes.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I run the WTB Pure V as well, on all of my bikes. I've tried a bunch of higher end/way more expensive ones and at the end of the day it all comes down to what your ass likes.
I didn't know they had versions with anodized rails.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
The charge spoon is also a decent entry level saddle, costs like 30 bucks and I've got like we'll over 10k miles on mine.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I didn't know they had versions with anodized rails.
You cunts didn't even comment on my totally sweet ano nipples on the fatty.
frown.png