Bicycling

Seventh

Golden Squire
I should also mention that I got a new wheelset for my fatty. Never did like the red hubs/green bike combo, so I went with black Hopes and Mulefut hoops with....

Green anodized nipples, bitches. Awww yisss.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Sucks that the Praxis doesn't fit - I have a BB30 frame and am running Ultegra using their kit and it's been totally silent for ~2000 miles now.
Going to go ahead and buy the Rotor adapter and throw an ultegra crank on. I also broached the brake subject with the wifey and she never even batted an eyelid so when I need pads I'll just throw on new levers and calipers as well
tongue.png

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm looking at getting a Surly Disc Trucker for some long slow, and comfortable miles this season. I'd ideally like the same kinda steel touring bike, except with an Ultegra set. Is that a thing? Or would I have to build that thing myself from a frameset and parts group?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm looking at getting a Surly Disc Trucker for some long slow, and comfortable miles this season. I'd ideally like the same kinda steel touring bike, except with an Ultegra set. Is that a thing? Or would I have to build that thing myself from a frameset and parts group?
Build it yourself (or pay the bike shop to build it). I wouldn't recommend a complete and doing swaps/take-offs unless you really don't give a shit about cost. Get a frame, the group set, and pick out the other pieces for it (saddle, bars, wrap, pedals, etc).

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My local Surly dealer also sells Salsa and Co-Motion, so it looks like I'll be able to compare the Disc Trucker and Vaya. If I don't like either of those for whatever reason (probably reach dependant), I'll look at getting a Cascadia.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
My local Surly dealer also sells Salsa and Co-Motion, so it looks like I'll be able to compare the Disc Trucker and Vaya. If I don't like either of those for whatever reason (probably reach dependant), I'll look at getting a Cascadia.
They're pretty damn similar... Surly came up in-house at Q and Salsa was an acquisition. Really, are you looking for road-specific or "everywhere/anything" bike? Straggler or Warbird might be more appropriate. Unless the shop decides NOT to stock specific QBP brands, if they are a surly dealer they can also get salsa/foundry/whisley/all city/45 north/etc. A Mr. Pink might be what your looking for...

to be honest I don't know a lot of non-QBP brands... Niner/Moots/Civia/Cielo are about it.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It'll probably be on pavement 90% of the time, but there are some really nice gravel and smooth dirt trails in my area. So kind of a road focused do everything bike with a more relaxed, heads up posture.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
It'll probably be on pavement 90% of the time, but there are some really nice gravel and smooth dirt trails in my area. So kind of a road focused do everything bike with a more relaxed, heads up posture.
I have a Salsa Casseroll (I'm sure I've posted it before), but the spiritual successor is the all city nature boy. I love mine and it got me back into biking. The best advice is to get sized properly and test-ride the shit out of whatever you're thinking of.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I saw one of those warbirds in person last week, sick ride, but I'm a Salsa fanboy. Looked like it would be great for an all around road/gravel/path bike.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Bought a bike with my tax return. Jesus, does the ass pain get better bros?
frown.png
Yes and no. The first week on a bike will always cause some taint soreness and should go away. But if you have a saddle that doesn't match you well, it will always hurt. In my experience all stock saddles are awful and never comfortable.

Alot of shops out here have saddle demo programs where you put 25 bucks down and they loan you various saddles and once you find one you like, they use that 25 to go towards the purchase. Something to look into.

Zastlyn

Peasant
Yes and no. The first week on a bike will always cause some taint soreness and should go away. But if you have a saddle that doesn't match you well, it will always hurt. In my experience all stock saddles are awful and never comfortable.

Alot of shops out here have saddle demo programs where you put 25 bucks down and they loan you various saddles and once you find one you like, they use that 25 to go towards the purchase. Something to look into.
I got myself aRevel 29er (2016) | Giant Bicycles | United States.

The stock saddle is like, super small/thin and hard as a rock. Fuck!.

How much is a quality good for your ass saddle supposed to go for?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Stock saddles can be kinda shit, but honestly the more important aspects are a saddle well sized for you and just getting accustomed to a road bike too. You need to try to figure out at least a ball park measurement of your "sit bones" (google some saddle sizing tips) before you buy. Your shop might have some sort of sizing tester saddle to help you, and a real full service shop might have loaner saddles to help you pick something. Often even a high end saddle its recommended to give a good hundred miles or so to see what you think of it.

As far as brands and prices, like anything in cycling you can get pretty crazy. I got a ProLogo Evo Nago for like $90 on sale and have been pretty happy with it. They have a good rep for a bang for the buck brand, since you probably aren't looking to buy anything crazy top of the line for $200+ or something.

EDIT: Ok its a mountain bike. Go get a WTB Pure for like $50-$60, can't really go wrong, then its all just getting used to riding a lot. Padded shorts might help too.

Anyone with the same questions for road saddles see the first part.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Listen to Famm, I've heard good things about the WTB saddles, I love fizik ariones but those who 100 ish a pop.

Don't fall into the newbie trap of thinking hard saddles aren't comfortable, especially for something like MTBING where you are sliding all over the saddle and standing a lot.

Zastlyn

Peasant
Thanks guys. I'll give it a week or two and see if i build, butt.....calluses? If I don't I'll buy the WTB Pure. Thanks for the info. Even though it's a mountain bike I plan on keeping to really flat areas, until i get used to riding again/lose some weight.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Thanks guys. I'll give it a week or two and see if i build, butt.....calluses? If I don't I'll buy the WTB Pure. Thanks for the info. Even though it's a mountain bike I plan on keeping to really flat areas, until i get used to riding again/lose some weight.
Yeah, still... you'll get used to it as long as it's sized closely. And it's more so breaking-in yourself AND the saddle. Padded shorts will help, but don't get one of those gel seats or whatever. Any longer-ish ride will be completel fucking murder on your taint with them.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, there's a reason we call them saddles and not "seats". The more cushy/comfortable it appears the worse it actually is for serious riding. See if you get more accustomed to yours and go from there. Still might be good to be thinking about size, if your sit bones are resting in the right place on the stock one or if you might need something wider/narrower.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Started biking a month ago with my dog using theWalkydog. Been going pretty good, out of shape but keep going longer distances everyday. Just picked up aCateye strada bike computerand it seems to be working out great so far.

My dog absolutely loves it but yesterday tore up one of his pads. Going to have to get him some dog booties or something. Anyone bike with their dog at all? Thinking of going with theruffwear bootsthat seem to have decent reviews. Anyone have experience with these or others?