Bicycling

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd like to 29+ my El Mar in the front, but don't really feel like making the initial investment. If my Reba ever blows out I was going to to rigid then anyway so might be the time to try it. I'd get a fat bike if I had to deal with lots of snow. For general purpose dry trail riding I wouldn't want bigger than a 29+, Krampus is actually pretty fun on singletrack but something bigger just feels like overkill to me when I've demo'ed them.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have wanted a fat bike for a couple years, but I just can't get past the "it's only a passing fad" thought process in my head.

That Salsa looks nice. Have fun riding it!
Ha, not a good bike but my kids are mesmerized by the fat tires. We periodically see these, and they really want one.

Mongoose 20-in. Fatbike - Boys

1vZ1yhB.jpg

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
In theory (fuck you global warming), we have a ton of snow and ice and shit for the fatbike to be killer. I'm also gonna get some more dirt specific tires and use it as my trail bike because the only real hills around me are ones i have to drive to.

On the other hand, it's a tank... I point it someplace and it just goes. I went up ~8 steps and was worried about pedal strikes on them rather than not actually getting UP them. Demo it before you declare it a fad.

Seventh

Golden Squire
In theory (fuck you global warming), we have a ton of snow and ice and shit for the fatbike to be killer. I'm also gonna get some more dirt specific tires and use it as my trail bike because the only real hills around me are ones i have to drive to.

On the other hand, it's a tank... I point it someplace and it just goes. I went up ~8 steps and was worried about pedal strikes on them rather than not actually getting UP them. Demo it before you declare it a fad.
Aye, definitely not a fad. They rule in rocks and tech, especially when it's wet. I picked up a set of Minions a while back and am very happy with them. The things are unstoppable in the dirt, if a bit on the heavy side. Fatties are awesome.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Bike Wrench Question:

So, I replaced the Cassette/Chain/Rear Derrailleur on my Long Haul Trucker. Now I have an inconsistent chain skip. It doesn't happen all the time. But when under sufficient pressure, sometimes, the chain will skip a link.

Watched a ton of youtube videos on fixing this. But either I'm too dumb, or these videos are shit. Any idea on what might cause it? I thought it was the master link. Doesn't seem to be the case. My current thought is that when I put on the new cassette, I didn't tighten it enough or something so sufficient pressure will move a gear causing the chain to miss a tooth until pressure corrects the position again.

Would appreciate the insight on this if any of you are bike mechanic nerds.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bike Wrench Question:

So, I replaced the Cassette/Chain/Rear Derrailleur on my Long Haul Trucker. Now I have an inconsistent chain skip. It doesn't happen all the time. But when under sufficient pressure, sometimes, the chain will skip a link.

Watched a ton of youtube videos on fixing this. But either I'm too dumb, or these videos are shit. Any idea on what might cause it? I thought it was the master link. Doesn't seem to be the case. My current thought is that when I put on the new cassette, I didn't tighten it enough or something so sufficient pressure will move a gear causing the chain to miss a tooth until pressure corrects the position again.

Would appreciate the insight on this if any of you are bike mechanic nerds.
Is there lateral play/wobble in the cassette? It can be easy not to tighten enough, and if you're using your hand I doubt you will overtighten.

First thing with ghost shifting is simply checking derailer adjustments. Cable tension then maybe the body position.

Are you sure the chain isn't too long or short?

I assume its jumping in the back not up front on the rings? I'd watch some youtube vids on adjusting your shifting/cable tension then go back and see if you can tweak it slightly to help it be a little smoother. Which end of the cassette is it doing it on? If its down in the high gears I'd bet its just the cable tension.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am dead certain chain is the exact right length. I'll try adjusting the cable tension.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I am dead certain chain is the exact right length. I'll try adjusting the cable tension.
If you check everything and you are certain it's right. You can also check your rear hub or crankset for play which can cause ghost shifts but not very likely.

My money would be on cable tension/derailleur position.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Happy bicycle day everyone!

You, uh...miiiight want to find your own best way to celebrate:

bW3fYjT.png

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Rode by a grizzly bear chowing on some dandelions between Banff and Canmore yesterday.
rrr_img_133879.jpg

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Tour of California started yesterday. I'm going to try and do that first stage route in San Diego in the next month.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Do you guys ever get over the pressure ulcer-like sores from your saddle? No matter how much saddle time I put in, I always get sores that have to scab over. Could it be a bad saddle fit?

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Do you guys ever get over the pressure ulcer-like sores from your saddle? No matter how much saddle time I put in, I always get sores that have to scab over. Could it be a bad saddle fit?
I think it's like 50% genetics and 50% fit, I never have experienced saddle sores even when logging 200+ miles a week, yet I know people who do 50/week and get sores. About the only thing I could recommend is to get your sit bones sized and see if your saddle is right.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I was having some issues early this season but I think I solved it about a month ago with a new pair of bibs a little more pricey than I usually go in for. Almost solved the problem immediately. I went back to the shorts/chamois I was using for one ride and had the issue again.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Rode by a grizzly bear chowing on some dandelions between Banff and Canmore yesterday.
Heh, I was at Whistler for opening weekend a few weeks back, and there were black bears fucking EVERYWHERE on the mountain. Couple times on Crank It Up laps we had to stop and let a bear cross the run. They really didn't seem to give a shit about all the humans ripping around on bikes.

rrr_img_135688.jpg

Dunno why it's auto-rotating the image. Probably Tuco's fault.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Afraid to ask, how much did those set you back? Fighting winds is something we never have to do for the most part here unless it's from road traffic.