Bicycling

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Any complaints using calf high boots riding? Saw these in a mtb forum.

Typically boots/running/hiking shoes tread patterns are terrible for flats so unless those boots have a uniforn pattern on bottom they are likely a bad idea.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I wouldnt ride in boots that didnt let you ankle move much like hiking boots, you need flex.

anyone seen this yet?
First Look: Trust Performance's $2,700 Carbon Fiber Linkage Fork - Pinkbike

p6pb16497526.jpg

$2700 of the fork so it's out of my budget but i think it's cool as bro!!!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
New wheels and proper fork on my DJ. Going to boost to the moon on this build.
35F223E6-4EFC-47BE-AD71-991133B2FE77.jpeg
770A3905-72B0-456F-BFFC-9676910DD3B5.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
That Dirtjumper is making me jealous, just moved to a new city and found out there is a pump track like 1 mile away. Should be building one up this winter/spring if everything goes right.

Bought a new(to me) bike when I got here since I had to sell my GT when I moved and managed to take a small weekened trip two weekends ago and was able to check out beautiful New Jersey and do a little shakedown/fit. Probably won't change too much on it but tempted to go dumb and get some bullmooses and actually put some money into frame bags since I want to be cool. Took this photo for Agraza Agraza , hip pouch holds phone/lights/keys/snacks and the velcro around the headtube is a drink holder that I also use for more snacks to eat while moving.

20181104_105522.jpg

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Looks solid. I'm trying to avoid racks. Got some stuff coming from revelate soon to begin seeing what I can bring with me. I'm still very newb to bike maintenance, but the camping element i've got on lock.

My current bike is this off the shelf $350. I'm looking at some new stuff, but dunno if I should try to build it from scratch yet. We'll see. I've spoken to some people about it, but many of them are willing to spend like $4k+ on parts. That ain't me atm.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Nice Fifey Fifey but unless you have all the tools and have done it before I would just buy a used DJ. The above build was something like 1300 after mistakes and tools. I could use better brakes too. I have since seen endlessly awesome DJs for sale in the 850ish range including a 2018 barely ridden Transition PBJ.

Also yall should look into Flaanimal, they have some much loved adventure bikes. https://www.rodeo-labs.com/flaanimal3/

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Just got a pair of these tires for my winter commuting, ridden em for about a week some and love em: Winter

They are really tough, pump up to 85 psi even though they are regular road size, and give a great ride on cleanish road (the studs make some noise heh) as well as decent grip on ice and snow. I've cycled in winter before but only for fun on clean roads days, first year I am committed to commuting through rain snow or shine. Not yet sure how my cross country ski gear will hold up at bike speeds in the bitter cold hehe, and kinda worried to see how the old steel bike frame does in the salt . But it has been quite a bit of fun so far, especially sliding in the snow.

One thing I have not figured out yet is gloves for winter rain. At moment thinking of making some ghetto rubber-maid cutouts to cover just the top of my winter gloves.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
If you're truly committed to commuting, you should look into some Bar mitts Bar Mitts - Ride in Comfort , Ive never lived anywhere cold enough to need em but Ive heard people swear by them.

If bar Mitts arent your style, I use Neoprene(?) gloves for pNW winter, youll get soaked through but they stay warm

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I got myself an ActionCam. Now I'm filming my commute. I fucked up already, underestimated how frequently I had to charge the god damn thing and now most of my commute didn't really happen today. :[

Holy shit my work upload is FAST. Three minutes to push the 1.6 GB uncompressed .mov into the youtubes

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think you need to get directions from your best friend in the yellow coat with red hat. you pass him twice in the first vid.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know what he's doing

6:40 you can see a red pedestrian light on the right side on the traffic isle under the subway station -not kidding, that's a subway station Muggenhof (Nuremberg U-Bahn) - Wikipedia

6:51 you can see his wheels in the top right

7:20 That pedestrian light turns green when the traffic from the east (right side) gets a green light for left turning. He takes that light to cross the eastbound lane. When the westbound lane gets red, he crosses behind the subway station and switches back to the road.

That's why he's ahead of me again. *But* he's riding on the sidewalk there, which is illegal. He's doing it on the November 26th video as well, and I'm getting a better shot of him there.

on unrelated news, anyone know how to get past the stupid "corporate account requirement" for windows movie maker windows 10? I can't get it installed on my work computer because of that.

More learning: Water on the lense makes the picture look different

Last edited:

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
my trip to the local donation center for blood plasma

1 hour 15 for the whole thing - not too bad.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
actually blood plasma looks a lot more like deep fryer grease when liquid. It's pretty gross.

Also, this is the perfect speed. Exactly 1 TV episode.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Yeah so I know the places you're cycling around in your first video, been to that KFC a few times (many years ago) because I think it's the only one in a quite large radius... bouth the last two cars at Pillenstein just a bit down the road from that traffic light stop...

I wouldn't want to be a cyclist in Nürnberg/Fürth.
But then I hate being in a car there as well.

• 1Like

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
not the speed, play some tunes. hearing a chain spin is sleep inducing.
I was kindof wondering about that.
What is with the audio? how come thats all we hear? I mean, not even street sounds, cars, etc.