Bicycling

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
2 stages behind, I just cant skip ahead I end up watching the entire stage. Just finishing stage 9 to Roubaix, total carnage. I love that there was a stage like this to start the second week. And after a rest day, I have a 13k elevation day to separate the wheat from the chaff. I love this sport.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
a search didn't turn anythingup. and, I think every here is more hardcore/younger so its probably never came up.

My mom is getting up there in years. and has heart arrhythmia. She can't handle the hills anymore. When doing biking we my dad and I.
as it is, we do rail trails almost exclusively to avoid hills. even their inclines from time to time can be an issue.

Does anyone have any experience with peddle assist, electric bikes or kits?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Just got a Jamis Quest Elite. I've never had a good road bike before, and this thing is so freaking amazing, it's hard to believe. What a difference a good road bike makes. I'm totally geeking out.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
a search didn't turn anythingup. and, I think every here is more hardcore/younger so its probably never came up.

My mom is getting up there in years. and has heart arrhythmia. She can't handle the hills anymore. When doing biking we my dad and I.
as it is, we do rail trails almost exclusively to avoid hills. even their inclines from time to time can be an issue.

Does anyone have any experience with peddle assist, electric bikes or kits?

I have ridden a couple of peddle assist MTB's, no roadys or commuters though.
Specialized turbo levo, Giant something something and the Merida 160. The spec was shit, the giant was shit and the merida was awesome.
Mate owns a Merida and loves it, was fit to start with and now does more K's and works harder.
Battery anxiety is the biggest thing to over come. ie: running out of power a long way from home and peddling a heavy bike all the way back.
Haibike looks like a great bike.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thanks.

While here, I am also looking into new bike time. Its been a very long time since doing research or buying a new bike.
Current is a Target special, hand me down.
Target : Expect More. Pay Less.

Basically in old age, I only do rails to trails, and casual road riding these days. so, the better, but also very old mountain bike (fuji 25th anniversary edition), got sidelined, as riding a full on mountain bike for rail trail, and casual road riding was super uncomfortable. the hand me down was given, to use instead. As much riding as I do, it doesn't make much sense to not get a better bike.

First thought was outright casual, fully upright bike. but, dialed that back into a hybrid again.

Local shop sells Trek. Any thoughts on that? solid brand, or avoid it, and go someplace else? (I do like to shop local.)
The owner, recommended the Dual sport 2. (store price was $589)
Dual Sport 2 | Trek Bikes
as I see it, key features. 3x8 drive, 24speed, disc brakes. manual suspension lock. 30lbs.
Most of the specific part lists are gibberish to me..

ds 3 is the next model up. small price increase.
Dual Sport 3 | Trek Bikes
as I see it, key feature upgrades. 3x9 drive. 27speed. Hydraulic disc brakes. Tubeless tires.

ds4 is the next model. a much larger price increase.
Dual Sport 4 | Trek Bikes
as I see it, key feature upgrade. 2x10 drive. 20 speed.. remote suspension lock 27lbs.

Looking back in the thread, I kindof like the idea of a 2x10... lord knows I have snagged my chain myself plenty of times, or crossed and have had the gears just not want to swap.
Is the price worth it? any parts that should changed aftermarket? Any other part upgrades in these, that I overlooked as being key to justify price increases? (can look at that part lists, and see differences, but have no reference to what it means.)

Also in the market for a tailgate pad. any recommendations there? (shop owner said, raceface.)

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I can't really comment on those bikes, i ride downhill and enduro/all mountain.
one thing that stood out on the DS4 is this... Shimano M3050 centerlock ... that shit can go to hell, i have them on my current DH rig and i hate them.
Centerlock discs are mounted on a spline and the disc creaks when braking hard over rough stuff. Probably fine for what you want but i'm changing my wheels to get rid of them.

Trex is a good brand from what i've heard, never owned one though.

• 1Like

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I'm building a new DH bike at the moment from scratch, machined all the parts and welded it myself.
CAD model.
HIGH PIVOT LARGE V4 8inch.jpg

Frame welded, needs a buff but ready to go.
Weldment HP V4.jpg

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Does anyone ride anymore?
I just today picked up a second hand dh bike for $400 for my wife.

IMG_20180922_141533.jpg

Going to give it a birthday and my wife is pumped

Scooby

Trakanon Raider
I'm actualy saving up for a bike ... haven't riden in like 25 years, but I have left myself go so bad I gotta get back in shape and lose alot of weight or I'm gonna drop dead from a heart attack.

Looking at getting a Framed Minnesota LTD

shop-framed-minnesota-ltd-fat-bike-maroon-orange-18.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm still riding the mid-low end giant hybrid I got last year for my daily commute. I think I averaged about 135 miles a week this summer, but that'll get less and less when it starts getting really cold. I'm thinking about picking up a road bike for my weekend joy rides which are anywhere from 30-60 miles on Saturday and Sunday morning. I also need to get some better winter gear.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Good on you Scooby Scooby

We are just coming out of winter here is straya so i need to get my peddle on, 135 m/week is good sukik sukik . Is that just commuting to and from work or out for fun?
I don't think i could get the time to ride that far with my current life, young kids/ work/ house reno etc.

To add to my bike build, I have built it as a dummy assembly and i'm pretty happy.
I've pulled it apart again to give it a good clean on the welds and get ready to hurt myself.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Good on you Scooby Scooby

We are just coming out of winter here is straya so i need to get my peddle on, 135 m/week is good sukik sukik . Is that just commuting to and from work or out for fun?
I don't think i could get the time to ride that far with my current life, young kids/ work/ house reno etc.

To add to my bike build, I have built it as a dummy assembly and i'm pretty happy.
I've pulled it apart again to give it a good clean on the welds and get ready to hurt myself.
My daily commute is 15 miles round trip, and on the weekend I'll do a 30 or 60 mile ride on Saturday and Sunday morning depending on what kinda time I have. I haven't had time to do the 60 mile ride in 4-5 weeks but I've had a good stretch of getting the 30 mile rides in. If I had the time I'd love to do a 30 mile ride before work everyday. It takes me around 2 hours and is a great start to my weekend days.

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
My mind boggles at that frame, but I don't know shit about DH.

Scooby Scooby What do you want in a bike? The fatbikes are nice, slow, a decent work out (hell of a work out if you're going fast), but heavy as shit. A nice mountain bike would be a bit cheaper and easier to ride everywhere a bit faster. I love me some Framed bikes, but if you're saving I'd recommend the MN 2.0 rather than the MN LTD. Also, pay a shop to put it together for you, and get a fit from it.