Bicycling

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pretty much this exactly:
http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-841095.html

The bike was thrown off a loft into a truck. The frame looks fine. He's asking $900 but both rims are totaled (not just out of true but there's a place where the edge is actually bent inward towards the tube). I'm skeptical as to whether the carbon fork is still safe because the front rim was pretty bent. Basically he's asking $900 for the frame, handlebars, seat, and shimano 600 which seems like a lot considering the bike doesn't ride and new rims will cost a fortune.
Negotiated him to $650. My local bike shop is going to give it new rims/spokes, kevlar tires, cables, griptape, and straighten the rear dropout for about $550. I'll still need to buy some clips for it, but overall I think it was a pretty good deal.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Did the 545 mile bike ride from SF to LA without falling. Woohooo. I think I might have tweaked my knee though, when carrying my luggage with my road shoes on. My great toes (both of them) are slightly numb, which is a little bizarre.

601920_10151537879637758_760587680_n.jpg

995578_10103046542526275_51566209_n.jpg

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
It was surprisingly cold throughout the entire ride. I think I had the jacket off for maybe 2-3 hours total out of the entire ride.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Negotiated him to $650. My local bike shop is going to give it new rims/spokes, kevlar tires, cables, griptape, and straighten the rear dropout for about $550. I'll still need to buy some clips for it, but overall I think it was a pretty good deal.
Awesome. Get pics up when you get it finished.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Craig's list is pretty hit or miss on used mountain bikes in the mid Atlantic in my experience, but its worth keeping an eye out for stuff if you know what size you want/need. I'll keep an eye on the thread and/or you can PM me if you find something you have questions about. If you KNEW with reasonable certainty you'd be doing the sport with regularity I'd usually recommend going for a new hardtail from a shop and spending around a grand. If you aren't so sure then I don't blame you for wanting to spend less. If you find at the end of the year that you're hooked Race Pace tends to have lots of floor stock and from January through March its worth keeping an eye on the site for closeout specials. Ditto for any other local shop but Race Pace seems to have the most overall stock across their four locations.
Awesome, thanks for the suggestion of Race Pace. I'd never heard of them before but I just spent some time looking over their site and it looks like they have some good prices on quality bikes. Great locations as well.

I think what I'll do is buy a cheapo bike now and if I find myself still enjoying it come the fall/winter, I'll see what end-of-year deals Race Pace has and invest some serious money into a real mountain bike.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Awesome, thanks for the suggestion of Race Pace. I'd never heard of them before but I just spent some time looking over their site and it looks like they have some good prices on quality bikes. Great locations as well.

I think what I'll do is buy a cheapo bike now and if I find myself still enjoying it come the fall/winter, I'll see what end-of-year deals Race Pace has and invest some serious money into a real mountain bike.
Winter? You'll need one of these:
bikes_moonlander.jpg

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pfft, nah, we usually don't even get much snow here. Although that shop does carry Surly, and I demo'ed a Krampus at DirtFest and it was really fun to ride. A bit low on specs for the sticker IMO though, cable brakes on a $2k bike? Meh.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Finish line in Los Angeles...we were about 130 that finished before the remaining 2000 cyclists. Average speed: 15mph with generally going 20-26 most of the way. Uphill we did about 10mph.

980579_10151440684897944_848956284_o.jpg

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finish line in Los Angeles...we were about 130 that finished before the remaining 2000 cyclists. Average speed: 15mph with generally going 20-26 most of the way. Uphill we did about 10mph.
Nice job man, that's a long fucking ride

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I went by the bike shop today to browse and I ended up leaving with a used Trek 820 for $250. It seems like it's in great shape, but we'll see how well it holds up in the long run. Anyway, I figure getting a Trek for the price of a shitty Walmart/Target bike is pretty good.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I went by the bike shop today to browse and I ended up leaving with a used Trek 820 for $250. It seems like it's in great shape, but we'll see how well it holds up in the long run. Anyway, I figure getting a Trek for the price of a shitty Walmart/Target bike is pretty good.
Yeah, what the hell. If you can't get enough of the trails you can get a nicer one next year or something.

fat12_sl

shitlord
Hey guys, a week into the tour. Things are going great. Almost out of Texas going up into New Mexico and then up to pueblo CO to get on the transamerica trail. Follow us along at peenieweeniebikeblog.tumblr.com

If you're on the route and feel like hosting us do let me know. Happy riding!

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's everyone use for road bike saddles? Besides Brooks because I'm not going that route.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Boy the first stage of the 100th Tour de France turned out pretty funky at the end. A bus got stuck under the truss/timing devices across the finish line with 15 minutes left in the race. Then they moved the finish line back 3 km so it screwed the sprinters - then they got the bus moved and moved the finish line back to the original line but they had no scoring at the end lol. Then there was a big wreck 6km from the end, normally if you wreck 3km from the finish you get the same time as the peleton so they gave them the same time because it was 3km from the moved finish line, which they wound up not using.

Odd.