Bicycling

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I could look if you tell me what to look for.

It arrived yesterday but the front fork is damaged where I can't get the front wheel on because the right-side prongs are bent together. The box looked like it got a bit banged up by Fedex, someone dropped it most likely, and the geniuses didn't put much packing materal around the bottom of the fork, though it had some.

But their CS is weak so far, I tried calling 4 or 5 times the last 24 hours and they never pick up. It took them 22 hours to reply to my first email, asking me for a picture of the fork, which I had already sent them so instead of shipping me a fork today, they'll have to tomorrow at the earliest.

Not getting good vibes from this company so far, but if they overnight me a fork and the bike is nice I want to keep it.

Update: They're out-of-stock on the rigid forks for this bike, so they're sending me a $150 coil suspension upgrade, so I'm quite happy about that.

Last edited:

Break

Pic isn't the best, was taken in a dark garage with a smartphone flash, anyway the right side end of the fork is bent so much it can't fit around the wheel's bolt. Also, I tried for about 2 seconds to bend that with some pliers and all I did was flake off some of the paint. So I don't think Fedex even did this, if they had dropped it and bent it, the paint would have been damaged already, I think they must have shipped it like this from the factory.

1593570773970.png

Last edited:

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
New downhill bike im building, broke the last one..
High pivot, 200mm travel chromo dh weapon.
IMG_20200703_230505.jpg

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Bask in all its glory mf's
First time sitting on its wheels.
HA 60°
WB 1280mm
Frame travel 203mm with 75mm of rearward axle travel
BB-15mm
Downhill weapon
IMG_20200706_210500.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Pic isn't the best, was taken in a dark garage with a smartphone flash, anyway the right side end of the fork is bent so much it can't fit around the wheel's bolt. Also, I tried for about 2 seconds to bend that with some pliers and all I did was flake off some of the paint. So I don't think Fedex even did this, if they had dropped it and bent it, the paint would have been damaged already, I think they must have shipped it like this from the factory.

View attachment 282286
Did it fit before? If not your bolts might be too big, they make drop outs in various sizes.
If it did fit before can try to brute force it with a rubber mallet.

• 1Like

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
The swing arm pivots up at the idler and has no need for a chain stay. The wheel has a backwards path because of the high pivot and a CS would prevent that from working

Break

Did it fit before? If not your bolts might be too big, they make drop outs in various sizes.
If it did fit before can try to brute force it with a rubber mallet.

It was a brand new bike, just arrived damaged. I got the new fork today and took it for a whirl after work, did 12.5 miles like it was nothing. It (750W BBS02B motor) has more power than I expected, a lot more. My workout goals are going to be doing my usual 20 mile or so circuits in less time with less assist and more hilly routes, it's quite a blast.

• 1Like

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Bad ass, where you riding it?
Bright, Victoria, Australia is my favorite place to ride.. So many great trails..
Its just a shame the where I live in the state is now in a 6 week lock down because of covid and dipshits spreading it around.. Ffs

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
received_1564055943767382.jpeg

And it ridable. Get to put the new grips on thought.. But I can peddle the fucker and do bouncy stuff.. Pumped

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Started biking regularly on my plep Trek FX 2 Disc to keep the beetus away. My perineum hurts and my ischial tuberosities are sore. Bontrager Sport saddle iirc.

Damn, I’m going to buy some biker pants and some grease before Mrs. Izo makes any more anal puns.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Started biking regularly on my plep Trek FX 2 Disc to keep the beetus away. My perineum hurts and my ischial tuberosities are sore. Bontrager Sport saddle iirc.

Damn, I’m going to buy some biker pants and some grease before Mrs. Izo makes any more anal puns.

Anyone got any other suggestions?
How many rides did it take for your sit bones to get sore? Its possible perhaps just ramping up km too fast before finding comfy tweaks to get used to seat?

(tweaks)
GCN guys on youtube have some helpful videos on bike fits and seat adjustments and selections. Well worth a look before you go to the store.

But if good bike fit and simple seat angle tweaks do not resolve comfort issues try some new seats @ local bike shop. Go in with a sore ass to get a good idea if new seat cushions sore sitting parts well.

(seat)
I do not ride my hybrid much so cant recommend with certainty but on a road bike this I found was magic! SMP Well Gel saddle.
Seat is incredible, no more perineum soreness or circulation issues ever. Some minor tweaks to seat angle were needed as well as learning to sit well on it but since then its been perfect.

(shorts)
When going for shorts, GOOD brands are always a good idea, I would not cut corners: foam and construction quality matters a lot. I would suggest Castelli. After I started getting rashes and skin lesions on 100km + rides this summer I splurged on some Castelli shorts that have a decent snug fit, with a decent foam chamois that is shaped ideally to fit the saddle above. Voilla perfect comfort every ride even while old wounds healed!

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Biked over to the ballfield on my fatbike to throw some pitches for my son... a buddy is already there with his kids and we have a nice batting practice.
He asks me to take a bucket of balls over to one of my neighbors on the way to my house, and I agree.
On the way I pass a couple of high-schoolers with a home-made ramp practicing in a soccer field.
I drop off the bucket and the kids see my 5"wide tires, and ask if I want to try the ramp.
"Sure" I say, realizing my tires are under inflated from the recent cold snap.
As I get up the ramp, they shout "It's a sharp corner" and I realize how sharp... half the wheel goes off, and I have to bunny-hop off before I fucking wreck myself.

At least I stayed upright.

Meanwhile my 9yo takes her bike (with 3.5" tires) up the ramp and around the corner without a problem, and I'm a proud dad.

So I gotta get better at precision handling with fat tires...

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ate shit hard about a month ago, mostly healed up now. First run of the day bailed off a lip and right into a tree, my brain said you going way to slow and thought I would nose case. Nope I was cruising and sailed into a tree, just a dumb split second decision. Two front teeth went through my upper lip and broke, split my chin clean as it was hanging off my face according to my friends. 12 stitches total.
Wife was cool about whole thing but we agree full face for now on. Fixed my teeth couple days ago and I learned numbing agents barely work on me. I was soaked in sweat and almost tapped out before the end, never again. I go back in about a week to get my new permanent and hopefully less croaked teeth in. Stay safe people!

03E1751A-89DD-4ACA-B949-8C9B8B3861DB.jpeg

48EA3205-66E2-4239-B8D9-12FFBB62296D.jpeg

2F0ADC47-AA81-457E-A595-AB4134CBA01D.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 1Mother of God