Bicycling

Disp_sl

shitlord
Craigslist? You won't find anything new for $100-$200 unless it's some Chinese bike or something. For your height get around a 20" frame.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Going to be about a 19", usually called Large by Specialized/Trek. Yeah, CL for something in that range that isn't a Wal-Mart boat anchor. Might be able to find sales at shops too, but usually the best sales are in like January/February.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Giant/Specialized/Trek are the "big three" bike shop brands. If you see Mongoose, Pacific or Roadmaster its probably a Wal-Mart bike and there's no point buying one used. Really just link us the ad and we will talk you through it. They won't sell that fast.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
So, my left knee is starting to bother me...AGAIN. It's not specifically the knee, but, it's the tendon or ligament that is on the lateral side. I think it's either the IT band, one of the hamstrings, or the lateral quadricep. It doesn't bother me on my right knee, so it would be weird if it was a fit problem unless it was specific to my cleat alignment. I foam rolled after my ride today and it did hurt, so the pain is lasting. Anyone experience this?

edit: Research shows it could either be iliotibial band syndrome or LCL issues. I wonder if it is the fit. Ugh. x_x

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well its an overuse injury and if I'm not mistaken one of the big things to fix it unfortunately is to stay off the bike for awhile. Which doesn't sound like any "solution" when you're hooked on cycling I know.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Well, I had taken a break from cycling for several months. When I cycled to LA from SF last year, the pain was so immense that I was limping and took a lot just to walk without collapsing. It was the exact same thing. I'd like to cycle without any pain, haha. My right leg hurts a little because, I believe my stress fracture is still there and not using that leg (using a boot for six weeks) is difficult to do. I just don't know. I may have to just slap down $200-400 for a bike fit. ;\

iannis

Musty Nester
Isn't that over 300 miles, LA -> SF?

If you're that serious about riding a bike, 400 bucks is more like an investment. I assume a bike fit is literally tailoring the equipment for your specific measurement.

Do eet.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Yeah, we ride 554 miles in 7 days. Yeah, I will most likely do it. I definitely don't want to be in pain. ;o

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Are your legs noticeably lopsided kuriin? I know some people have to get special platforms in their shoes to help with lopsided legs. I'd say drop the cash for a good fit, should be two hundred or so max. Atleast that's what a good fit runs in Portland.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
I've been having this problem with my back tire on my road bike popping tubes. I'm lazy so I just took it to the shop, the guy was kind of pissy and said he didn't have the time, I said no problem I'll just pick it up in a few days. Well he then insists on checking it out, says it's the rim tape and in 10 minutes I'm out of there. The next day I decide to go on a test ride and 1.53 miles away I'm at a traffic light and I hear 120 psi quickly leave my rear tire. I then walk home bare foot because I didn't want to fuck up my shoes....first world problems!

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Are the holes in the bottom of the tube(like where it presses against the rim) or the top where it touches the tire? You could have a small shard of glass in your tire that keeps popping tubes, just pull the tire off and look it over really good and dig out anything you find.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You need to learn to deal with your own flats anyway. But, what tires are you running?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So, my left knee is starting to bother me...AGAIN. It's not specifically the knee, but, it's the tendon or ligament that is on the lateral side. I think it's either the IT band, one of the hamstrings, or the lateral quadricep. It doesn't bother me on my right knee, so it would be weird if it was a fit problem unless it was specific to my cleat alignment. I foam rolled after my ride today and it did hurt, so the pain is lasting. Anyone experience this?

edit: Research shows it could either be iliotibial band syndrome or LCL issues. I wonder if it is the fit. Ugh. x_x
I wouldn't dismiss bike-fit outright. I had the exact same issue as you and it turned out to be bike fit. I also thought "shouldn't both my knees be hurting" but it was explained to me that if one leg/knee is stronger than the other it might have enough structure stability and support to not be affected.

Also cleat positioning could also be an issue. If you are doing a lot of miles a little misalignment could end up being a big difference.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Are the holes in the bottom of the tube(like where it presses against the rim) or the top where it touches the tire? You could have a small shard of glass in your tire that keeps popping tubes, just pull the tire off and look it over really good and dig out anything you find.
Yeah, it ended up being that the rim tape wasn't lined up correctly.

You need to learn to deal with your own flats anyway. But, what tires are you running?
I don't disagree with you on that. I can change my tubes but was unfamiliar with tape liner so I wasn't sure if that was the problem or if it was a bur in the rim or whatever. It's my first road bike so I'm still learning the ropes. I should have just checked the interwebz first.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I actually just had my rim tape peel back and cause a bunch of random pinch flats. I know how it goes, I was just trying to whittle down the options and hoping it was just a shard in the tire so I could point and laugh.

But as famm said, fixing flats is easy. Same process as a mtb or whatever, just more of a pain in the ass to get the tire and tube on.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What part of tubeless do you have problems with? I've had some rim/tire combos that wouldn't seat without a compressor and at least one pairing that just wouldn't seat at all. But generally I've been able to get shit done with everything I've tried. The benefits of use far outweigh the hassle of installation and maintenance anyway. Yeah its a bit more work than a tube swap but once you're practiced with it its pretty routine.