Bicycling

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I posted ages ago about a balance bike i'm building for my Son, well this is where it's at now.

pic2_zps00ce7007.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

pic1_zpseebffe03.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I have a fox float rear shock I need to rebuild. Anyone done it? Doesn't look that complicated from a few videos I watched.

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
rrr_img_78365.jpg

Madone frame got warrantied replaced due to bottle cage holder rivet..Basically said fuck it and bought this Giant TCR ADVANCED SL still waiting on my DURA ACE brakes and Shifters crank well stay ultegra cause I don't want to replace the stages power meter. I normal wouldn't go for Dura Ace as the cost benefit isn't there and I talked to quite few PRO's and they said if it was thier money they would ride ultegra but I going for the bling factor this time.. I know I know vanity..

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
explain to me that seat post... I don't get it, but I'm a commuter not a roadie.

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
explain to me that seat post... I don't get it, but I'm a commuter not a roadie.
Oh the ISP integrated seat post now the white paper on it says it saves 45 grams over a normal seat post and adds compliance (comfort) which being this is the stiffest (stiffer is faster) frame out on the market so a bit of comfort helps for long days in the saddle. The Trek Madone does the same thing except they go with 1/2 ISP and 1/2 seat cap.

Odd first question which I would have though would had have been dude you got so much power you ovalized your chain ring what gives?

Also Latheboy that is a beautiful frame truly a work of art you have there it belongs in a museum

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Signed up to demo a full suspension Niner tomorrow afternoon at a local trail set. I'm not sure how it'll go, as I haven't done actual mountain biking in ~15 years. It's like riding a bike, right?

Seventh

Golden Squire
I finally pulled the carbon MTB trigger. It'll be here in a few weeks - hopefully the weather holds out so that I can get a good amount of rides in before I switch to the fatty for the winter. The owner of my LBS has one that he's let me spend a bunch of time on at the local trails, and it's such a fantastic machine. His is juuust a hair small for me, and it was still super comfortable and responsive as hell. It was between the Trance and the Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc - both awesome carbon bikes, but at the end of the day I wanted a 27.5 instead of another 29'er, and I got a full XT build on the Trance for a grand less than an SLX build of the SC would have been.

Trance Advanced 27.5 1 (2014) | Giant Bicycles | United States

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I finally pulled the carbon MTB trigger. It'll be here in a few weeks - hopefully the weather holds out so that I can get a good amount of rides in before I switch to the fatty for the winter. The owner of my LBS has one that he's let me spend a bunch of time on at the local trails, and it's such a fantastic machine. His is juuust a hair small for me, and it was still super comfortable and responsive as hell. It was between the Trance and the Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc - both awesome carbon bikes, but at the end of the day I wanted a 27.5 instead of another 29'er, and I got a full XT build on the Trance for a grand less than an SLX build of the SC would have been.

Trance Advanced 27.5 1 (2014) | Giant Bicycles | United States
looks gorgeous. I tried a jet9 from niner and it was fun, but I kept thinking my back tire was flat... is that just the sag from full suspension?

Also, why 650b/27.5 instead of 29? Is that mainly for gravity runs and drops?

Seventh

Golden Squire
If I had to speculate, the rear shock may not have been setup for your weight.

I was back and forth between 29/27.5, and having ridden the Trance a bunch I just fell in love with the thing. I already have a pretty solid XC 29'er in my Scalpel (it's all XT/X9, dropper, etc), so the Trance gives me something I don't have already - a great all mountain bike (slacker head tube angle) and the more agile (to me, anyway) geometry of the 27.5. It was a pretty awesome coin toss between the Tallboy and the Trance - the Tallboy is the better looking bike (though IMO thePivot 429is the best looking bike on the market right now) but I liked riding the Trance quite a bit more.

I actually should pick it up Friday, so it should be a beast of a weekend.
biggrin.png

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
It was a demo, so my guess is you're right. I guess I went from my standard 26front to a 29 Full, so I noticed a bit of agility loss but it was such a radical change. Also holy fuck did I get thirsty and tired. I forgot how much of a workout it was compared to commuting/cruising. The bug bit pretty hard though, it's time to start riding MTB more.

Seventh

Golden Squire
It was a demo, so my guess is you're right. I guess I went from my standard 26front to a 29 Full, so I noticed a bit of agility loss but it was such a radical change. Also holy fuck did I get thirsty and tired. I forgot how much of a workout it was compared to commuting/cruising. The bug bit pretty hard though, it's time to start riding MTB more.
Yeah, MTB is a crazy good workout because it's basically intervals the entire time if you're going moderately hard. On a road bike, you coast and have downhills where your heart rate drops and are generally doing less work/cardio. On a MTB you're almost always involved with the terrain and doing something, so even on the downhills you're working harder to muscle the bike around through corners and shit. I have a bunch of buddies that completely smoke me on the road, who I shit all over in the woods. I like road cycling too but MTB is where it's at if you ask me. The road bike is just easier to get out on during the work week (and it is a pretty damn good time), but in the woods there are no cars, idiots on cell phones, etc, etc.

Granted, there are trees and rocks and whatnot, but I suppose that's the tradeoff haha.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, MTB is a crazy good workout because it's basically intervals the entire time if you're going moderately hard. On a road bike, you coast and have downhills where your heart rate drops and are generally doing less work/cardio. On a MTB you're almost always involved with the terrain and doing something, so even on the downhills you're working harder to muscle the bike around through corners and shit. I have a bunch of buddies that completely smoke me on the road, who I shit all over in the woods. I like road cycling too but MTB is where it's at if you ask me. The road bike is just easier to get out on during the work week (and it is a pretty damn good time), but in the woods there are no cars, idiots on cell phones, etc, etc.

Granted, there are trees and rocks and whatnot, but I suppose that's the tradeoff haha.
I actually had a guy stop in the middle of the single track and just sit on the side of the trail standing over his bike yakking on his cell phone. I wanted to crash into him so badly.