Big Trouble In Little China Remake

Devlin

Golden Squire
Just the fact that the villain was a fat Freddie Mercury would be enough to gain cult status.

These are the reasons those movies are great, you can't replicate that.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
50ee4879afa96f2a2400e37c.gif

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So tired of all these remakes. Doesn't anyone do anything original anymore besides Christopher Nolan? I mean fuck, its either another fucking comic book flick or another remake.

Big Trouble in Little China is one of those movies that will always be ingrained into a generation. It was so fabulous, at the same time so horrible, and yet could be watched over and over again. You don't fucking stain this reputation and let it be remade. Such a horrible fucking idea. I cant possibly see this going well.

What's next? A remake of gremlins? goonies? last starfighter? the golden child?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Also, the failure of movies like Tomorrowland (which I haven't seen, and hence haven't supported) are why studios are hesitant to try something new. Along with that, there are actually a ton of "original" movies every year, we just don't really think about them being original, we only notice when something like this slaps us in the face and we get to bitch about remakes again.

I love The Rock, but yeah, this movie should never be remade, it was perfect the way it was.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Why not just bring back Kurt/John Wayne and have Rock co star for a sequel. Didnt carpenter have plans for a sequel but got pissed on at hollywood shitting on him?

ohkcrlho

Studios say "oh see? we did tomorrowland, original film, and nobody likes it." ffs if you make GOOD original movies, people will see it.
But yeah...think of the children

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Why not just bring back Kurt/John Wayne and have Rock co star for a sequel. Didnt carpenter have plans for a sequel but got pissed on at hollywood shitting on him?
Carpenter tweeted he doesn't own the rights, Fox does and he also didn't write it so he doesn't have any attachment.

That said, crap on a stick, as much as I like the Rock, this movie really doesn't need to be re-made it's quite perfect like it is.

Sterling

El Presidente
I don't think the problem is remakes, it's bad remakes. If they made remakes that were actually good movies, i don't think people would care.

Homsar

Carpenter tweeted he doesn't own the rights, Fox does and he also didn't write it so he doesn't have any attachment.

That said, crap on a stick, as much as I like the Rock, this movie really doesn't need to be re-made it's quite perfect like it is.
Shit, didnt realize the drama with the original screenplay and changes, have to say the original didnt sound nearly as good.
The first version of the screenplay was written by first-time screenwriters Gary Goldman and David Weinstein. Goldman had been inspired by a new wave of martial arts films that had "all sorts of weird actions and special effects, shot against this background of Oriental mysticism and modern sensibilities". They had written a Western originally set in the 1880s with Jack Burton as a cowboy who rides into town. Goldman and Weinstein envisioned combining Chinese fantasy elements with the western. They submitted the script to producers Paul Monash and Keith Barish during the summer of 1982. Monash bought their script and had them do at least one rewrite, but still did not like the results. He remembers, "The problems came largely from the fact it was set in turn-of-the-century San Francisco, which affected everything-style, dialogue, action".Goldman rejected a request by 20th Century Fox for a re-write that asked for major alterations. He was angered when the studio wanted to update it to a contemporary setting. The studio then removed the writers from the project. However, they still wanted credit for their contributions.

The studio brought in screenwriter W. D. Richter, a veteran script doctor (and director of The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai) to extensively rewrite the script, as he felt that the Wild West and fantasy elements didn't work together. The screenwriter modernized everything. Almost everything in the original script was discarded except for Lo Pan's story. Richter realized that "what it needed wasn't a rewrite but a complete overhaul. It was a dreadful screenplay. This happens often when scripts are bought and there's no intention that the original writers will stay on". Richter used Rosemary's Baby as his template, presenting "the foreground story in a familiar context - rather than San Francisco at the turn-of-the-century, which distances the audience immediately - and just have one simple remove, the world underground, you have a much better chance of making direct contact with the audience". He wrote his own draft in 10 weeks.[4] Goldman contacted Richter and suggested that he should not work on the project. Richter told him, "I'm sorry the studio doesn't want to go forward with you guys, but my turning it down is not going to get you the job. They'll just hire someone else"

Fox wanted to deny Goldman and Weinstein writing credit, and eliminated their names from press releases. They wanted only Richter to have credit. In March 1986, the Writers Guild of America, west determined that Richter would not receive credit for his work on the script and it would go instead to Goldman and Weinstein, based on the WGA screenwriting credit system which protects original writers. Director John Carpenter was disappointed that Richter did not get a proper screenwriting credit on the movie because of the ruling. Carpenter made his own additions to Richter's rewrites, which included strengthening the Gracie Law role and linking her to Chinatown, removing a few action sequences due to budgetary restrictions and eliminating material deemed offensive to Chinese Americans. The characters in the film reminded Carpenter "of the characters in Bringing Up Baby or His Girl Friday. These are very 1930s, Howard Hawks people." The rapid-fire delivery of dialogue, especially between Jack Burton and Gracie Law, is an example of what the director is referring to

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I don't think the problem is remakes, it's bad remakes. If they made remakes that were actually good movies, i don't think people would care.
It's a catch 22 because memorable movies like Big trouble in little chinacan'tme remade and have the final result good. Things like the awful effects of the dude blowing up or the creature coming out of the cage or shit egg shen in general... made the movie what it was.

Homsar

I liked the special effects, sure as hell better then a lot of shit from the 80's 90's and early 2000's trying to use CGI. New Star Wars CGI is so bad, atleast I never have to watch those movies again

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i think Animal House and Fast Times are safe where they are thanks to SJWs. we also wont be seeing remakes of Little Darlings, Meatballs, Saturday Night Fever, Blazing Saddles, Over The Edge, The Wanderers, The Warriors, The Outsiders, Tex, Urban Cowboy, Bugsy Malone, Megaforce Convoy, Fatso or anything that starred Burt Reynolds in the 70s/80s.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
i think Animal House and Fast Times are safe where they are thanks to SJWs. we also wont be seeing remakes of Little Darlings, Meatballs, Saturday Night Fever, Blazing Saddles, Over The Edge, The Wanderers, The Warriors, The Outsiders, Tex, Urban Cowboy, Bugsy Malone, Megaforce Convoy, Fatso or anything that starred Burt Reynolds in the 70s/80s.
I can see it now. They all get remade in a safe and accommodating way. We need new versions of these for modern firm viewers!! Fuck you for even putting this thought in my head.