Bill Simmons leaving ESPN.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
An HBO sports show that can speak without fear of advertisers pulling money could be great. I think that's a big reason I dig Last Week Tonight so much.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Thank god, now he won't be behind this major fucking PC curtain that is Bristol.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just as long as he starts putting out 2-3 podcasts a week, sooner rather than later, I don't care where he ends up or what he is doing. I need this shit, like, yesterday...

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Will Cousin Sal come? Or does the ABC/Kimmel thing kill it? I need those Cousin Sal Monday podcasts dammit.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Chance Cowherd might follow?

They have some fillin doing his podcasts, shit is killing me. And PTI took a week off? wtf . . .

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Will Cousin Sal come? Or does the ABC/Kimmel thing kill it? I need those Cousin Sal Monday podcasts dammit.
Even if Simmons got Sal the head writing spot, I doubt he'd leave Kimmel, especially when late night is about to get weird with Letterman gone.

Speaking of which, any recommendations for Monday wrap-up podcasts until at least October? Dave Dameshek signal/noise ratio gets out of hand, Ross Tuckerreallyneeds another voice in his podcast, and I haven't touched ESPN's Football Today since Robert Flores took over.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
This may mean no podcasts for the entirety of football season, and maybe no Cousin Sal. Sucks.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Let's hope not. If they need a generic sports radio shock jock type they can just shit in a bag and bang it up against the mic.
I don't think Cowherd would benefit from an open platform like HBO. And, yeah, shit in a bag.

To reply further from the Cowherd discussion from earlier in the thread, here's an example of why I hate him:

Today he brings up the [imo dumb] NBA Players awards and how Harden got voted by other players as the MVP. Okay, that could be some fertile ground to discuss. But instead Cowherd just complains that it's ridiculous Lebron didn't win and that he doesn't like Harden because of the stir-the-pot thing he does after scoring. Then Cowherd replays an old clip where he's doing a whiny, mocking voice pretending to be Harden "oooh boohooo wah I'm stirring the pot like a baby waaah waaaah" that wasn't really funny. Of course he's ignoring the fact Lebron and like every other player isn't equally annoying with their little acts, for instance the Lebron push-the-shit-down-to-the-floor thing he does or throwing the chaulk. And then hilariously one of the show's crew/producers has to come on air to point out to Cowherd that the award he read for 'player you most want to destroy your organization from within' going to Carmelo wasn't actually real, it was a joke, which the first thing I said to myself when hearing it was 'hah, that's a funny joke' but Cowherd didn't get it, apparently, and then just did the radio equivalent of a shrug as his crew laughed at him. Then he mentioned how DJ won defensive player of the year, muttered how Jimmy Butler was pretty good too (didn't make an argument, just muttered to himself), then basically said whatev, NBA players are dumb... and that's when I just turned it and listened to whatever shit was on FM radio.

He's boringly conservative, whines about his own opinions by whining about facts or situations or other people's opinions, uses way too many opportunities to suck Lebron's dick, and then constantly gets punked and looks like a bitch at the expense of his crew who take advantage of him because he's either an idiot or gullible, but either way it fits into my perception of him that he's just kind of an beige, mediocre blob with no balls.

So, to the people confused why I don't like him, I guess that's why.

Will definitely check out Simmons on HBO to see how it goes. It can be interesting how these things work out. For instance, I'm a big Jim Rome fan but never really caught onto his TV shows. Maybe it was just a weird context for me to sit and watch tv instead of having him on in the background and listening up when things got interesting.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Have you guys checked out the NFL network podcasts? I listen to Dave Dameshek and Daniel Jeremiah and they are both entertaining. Mostly football talk but they touch on other sports during their seasons. I haven't tried the Around the NFL podcast or Coach's show but they might fill in for the lack of Simmons in your schedule.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I don't think Cowherd would benefit from an open platform like HBO. And, yeah, shit in a bag.

To reply further from the Cowherd discussion from earlier in the thread, here's an example of why I hate him:

Today he brings up the [imo dumb] NBA Players awards and how Harden got voted by other players as the MVP. Okay, that could be some fertile ground to discuss. But instead Cowherd just complains that it's ridiculous Lebron didn't win and that he doesn't like Harden because of the stir-the-pot thing he does after scoring. Then Cowherd replays an old clip where he's doing a whiny, mocking voice pretending to be Harden "oooh boohooo wah I'm stirring the pot like a baby waaah waaaah" that wasn't really funny. Of course he's ignoring the fact Lebron and like every other player isn't equally annoying with their little acts, for instance the Lebron push-the-shit-down-to-the-floor thing he does or throwing the chaulk. And then hilariously one of the show's crew/producers has to come on air to point out to Cowherd that the award he read for 'player you most want to destroy your organization from within' going to Carmelo wasn't actually real, it was a joke, which the first thing I said to myself when hearing it was 'hah, that's a funny joke' but Cowherd didn't get it, apparently, and then just did the radio equivalent of a shrug as his crew laughed at him. Then he mentioned how DJ won defensive player of the year, muttered how Jimmy Butler was pretty good too (didn't make an argument, just muttered to himself), then basically said whatev, NBA players are dumb... and that's when I just turned it and listened to whatever shit was on FM radio.

He's boringly conservative, whines about his own opinions by whining about facts or situations or other people's opinions, uses way too many opportunities to suck Lebron's dick, and then constantly gets punked and looks like a bitch at the expense of his crew who take advantage of him because he's either an idiot or gullible, but either way it fits into my perception of him that he's just kind of an beige, mediocre blob with no balls.

So, to the people confused why I don't like him, I guess that's why.

Will definitely check out Simmons on HBO to see how it goes. It can be interesting how these things work out. For instance, I'm a big Jim Rome fan but never really caught onto his TV shows. Maybe it was just a weird context for me to sit and watch tv instead of having him on in the background and listening up when things got interesting.
Lol, havent heard today's, will listen tomorrow and see if I hear it that way. Odd tho, I see him as annoyingly liberal / prone to soap box against conservative / anything southern . . . so we are seeing him through 2 completely different lenses. I agree on the giving LeBron a pass thing, he is prone to that. Gives him a lot of slack for what he sees as positive and rare traits he has etc etc. So anyway, cool to get a perspective on him before hearing it, so will see tomorrow.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Lol, havent heard today's, will listen tomorrow and see if I hear it that way. Odd tho, I see him as annoyingly liberal / prone to soap box against conservative / anything southern . . . so we are seeing him through 2 completely different lenses. I agree on the giving LeBron a pass thing, he is prone to that. Gives him a lot of slack for what he sees as positive and rare traits he has etc etc. So anyway, cool to get a perspective on him before hearing it, so will see tomorrow.
Oh, I didn't mean politically, but in his style. He's conservative, as he never really takes chances, never says anything that's quote-worthy the next day, never seems to do anything but give them most generic, expected response, talk about a lot of "top X soandso's of all time" and yeah, slurp on Lebron a little much for my taste.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Oh, I didn't mean politically, but in his style. He's conservative, as he never really takes chances, never says anything that's quote-worthy the next day, never seems to do anything but give them most generic, expected response, talk about a lot of "top X soandso's of all time" and yeah, slurp on Lebron a little much for my taste.
Yet to hear him tell it, he can saying anything he wants no matter how outrageous because none of the network brass know or care who he is.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
Not like it matters now, but after his comments yesterday regarding Dominican players, Cowherd has been taken off the air completely.