Billions

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Caved. Two episodes in, and this show is pushing all the buttons for me.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Is this the best show on TV at the moment? I think it's the one I look forward to the most.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Is this the best show on TV at the moment? I think it's the one I look forward to the most.
Right now I would consider "Better Call Saul" slightly ahead for me (Of what is currently showing and not on break)

That being said, I believe 1999 (And the start of Sopranos) till now is the true Golden age of TV.

I could name a dozen shows I would consider top 25 all time in my opinion.

Edit: Might make for a good topic on its own, if anyone ever starts one.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Best Shows:

Obligitory "The Wire" post.
Game of thrones
Breaking Bad
The Sopranos (earlier seasons more than later)
1st season of Homeland
Deadwood
Better Call Saul
I don't know if I'd put Billions in the top 10, but maybe. I'm starting to cloud my memory.

I also really liked the NBC show, Kings. It only had 1 season before getting cancelled, and too many people bitched about the biblical references, but if you look beyond them (I'm not religious at all), it was a VERY good show.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Right now I would consider "Better Call Saul" slightly ahead for me (Of what is currently showing and not on break)

That being said, I believe 1999 (And the start of Sopranos) till now is the true Golden age of TV.
Yeah I meant out of what is currently on air. And I considered BCS over Billions. We already know where BCS is going to end, it's just a question of how many seasons it takes to get to that point. It's slower paced but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I

And yes it is a golden age of TV although there is an argument that it started with Twin Peaks

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Only two episodes in, but Billions seems like it could sit at the "Better Call Saul/Mr. Robot" tier, or close. I also personally would put The Americans near that level, but do understand it is too slow for some people.

While we are on topic, I now find myself preferring to watch TV than to watch movies. Which used to never be the case. Sometimes I even find myself wishing rather to watch a TV series than read a book, and I love to read. So much good shit, even away from the obvious choices: The Americans, Homeland, Utopia (UK), Penny Dreadful, The Man in the High Castle, Deutschland 83 etc.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Decent episode. Being a Fisherman's son from a fishing town it was pretty funny that the mom had them digging for clams before the tide went out (the fuck?). Like the exact opposite way you go clam digging.

Stupid thing to notice I know. But whatever.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
As much as I fuckinglovedthis show in the beginning, it's really starting to bore me, especially the last 2 episodes. I really just can't fathom how this show can last beyond 2 seasons without making Chuck look like an incompetent moron or Axelrod an untouchable God.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
As much as I fuckinglovedthis show in the beginning, it's really starting to bore me, especially the last 2 episodes. I really just can't fathom how this show can last beyond 2 seasons without making Chuck look like an incompetent moron or Axelrod an untouchable God.
I am assuming they will do some kind of surprise twist...such it was all a ruse and someone from each team is working together. (I assumed it was going to be the two leads the whole time, but looks like no)

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Obviously there will be a wife swap and the dirty secrets will get aired and they'll go after each other even harder.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
this was the first episode that felt like it might become formulaic, where each week Axel is given a small challenge that he and is his team use money and influence to overcome. The trader going off the rails, the woman writing the book, axel punching a guy. It does help establish characters but it will grow old quick. Still enjoying the show.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
To me this show is worth watching but that is about as high of a compliment I can give it. It is no where near my top 10 shows of all time and I doubt it would break my top 25. Off the top of my head I can think of 4 other shows running right now that I prefer over Billions...Better Call Saul, Shameless, Black Sails & Vinyl.

Also, I love Giamatti but I feel like he is just so over the top at times in this role, maybe it is the directors fault I just can't put my finger on it.

EDIT: you can add House of Cards to that list as well.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This is better than House of Cards I think. This is a very solid show. I'm surprised at the lack of hooker and blow parties though. These are some stale ass rich dudes.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
If you are talking House of Cards Season 3 then I am inclined to agree with you, IMO S1, S2, & S4 are superior.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is a great show, people are just bitching about filler episodes. Ep 7 was the weakest but they are simply adding weight and dimension to Axes problems. One of the major criticisms of the show was the lack of empathy the viewer feels for the main players. There wasnt much reason to care about what happens to them, so I think were just trudging through that with these recent episodes. It isnt so much about obstacles that are overcome via power or wealth, but moreso giving the viewer a reason to be invested in these characters. Axe being betrayed by childhood friend, Axe avoiding the pitfalls of enormous wealth, Axe being hated on by smaller players, Axe being investigated by law enforcement etc etc. They need you to have some kind of reason to give a shit, hence the warm and fuzzy resolution to last weeks episode, painting Axe as someone who is still worth rooting for. They are trying the same thing with Chuck just to a lesser extent.

Like no one gives a fuck if Chuck succesfully positions himself to run for governer, yet most viewers who enjoy the show would probably feel some type of way if Axelrod goes down. Its almost a reverse protagonist type architecture with Axe being the good bad guy and Chuck being the bad good guy.

Either way ill be watching. After the last 3 episodes, things should start to get back on track now, having established enough importance to Axes character over that time period starting with the Metallica episode.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Quite the ending indeed. Can't believe there are still 4 episodes left this season, feels like things are coming to a head

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm having the opposite reaction to this episode. Every character feels way too dramatic and contrived. I don't get the feeling any of these characters could be real people and the relationship between Chuck and his wife is absurd and not very believable.