Biomutant (Open World RPG, 5/25)

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Man, a few reviews and everyone jumps ship ;). Anyway i am keeping my order so ill post a little review in a few days once ive had the chance to play it. Cant image it will be any worse than the AC style games where forts are cut and paste, quests were dumb outside of main story, and combat also got a bit rinse/repeat....yet i thought odyssey was amazing, mostly for the story.

I will admit the price is a bit high, it probably should be 35-40$ as an indie studio to lure more people in and convince them your team is ready for round 2....but ohh well.

Anyway, ill update soon

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Definitely not jumping ship yet. Already have an active EA Play sub going because I couldn't resist playing Mass Effect 1 (and maybe 2 if Biomutant doesn't pan out) so there's no reason not to give it a shot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I did the preorder today. I’m still 100% remote at work and looking for something to do. I found one of those product key sellers with the preorder version for $50. From what I saw of it on twitch, I think I’ll get my money’s worth

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I'm a sucker for open world RPGs and decided to keep my preorder. Watched multiple reviews and almost cancelled, but I think ACG's praise for certain elements actually kept me interested.

I'd rather support the little guys shooting big and coming up short, but being honest even after multiple delays. Merc class shenanigans be damned. Likely not the dev studios idea anyways.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I did the preorder today. I’m still 100% remote at work and looking for something to do. I found one of those product key sellers with the preorder version for $50. From what I saw of it on twitch, I think I’ll get my money’s worth

You should be able to since the reviews I watched were able to stomach atleast 10 hours.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I'm a sucker for open world RPGs and decided to keep my preorder. Watched multiple reviews and almost cancelled, but I think ACG's praise for certain elements actually kept me interested.

I'd rather support the little guys shooting big and coming up short, but being honest even after multiple delays. Merc class shenanigans be damned. Likely not the dev studios idea anyways.
I was kind of in this boat, and looked for a long time for the refund process, and had just about resigned to keep it and see what a day 1 patch is going to bring; its not going to fix many of these issues, which are design choices and publisher decisions. When I saw the review talking about the "Humans ruined the planet/consumerism" BS, I pressed ahead. If it gets better, if this thread reports good things, if it looks like I will enjoy it, then I will buy it then. Right now, I have saved $130 bucks on a game I really won't play full time while I am still playing ME: LE.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Worth a Buy actually thought it was worth a buy! *

*for your pre-teen children

Jozu

So I picked up EA Play Pro, and downloaded this.

Early impressions:

What the other review videos here have stated seem valid. (I havent got into quest lines yet, but I will take their word on it being repetitive) The sound is poor, but I dont think its THAT bad. The melee combat sounds and ambient music is awful, but other than that it isnt so bad. The combat itself feels somewhat wild, they could have used a targeting mechanic. Maybe fully free wheeling combat serves the game better, as you do have to get the knack of how the combos string together and work.

Once you get the hang of hitting combos and mixing different attacks in order to do the most damage, the combat becomes somewhat enjoyable. The gunplay feels flimsy, but overall it isnt atrocious.

I havent fucked with crafting yet and some have said thats the best aspect of this game. At the end of the day its DEFINETELY worth 15$. Worth 30$ the most, most definitely not worth 60. I say you guys try it out for 15$ its worth it IMO>

• 2Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So I picked up EA Play Pro, and downloaded this.

Early impressions:

What the other review videos here have stated seem valid. (I havent got into quest lines yet, but I will take their word on it being repetitive) The sound is poor, but I dont think its THAT bad. The melee combat sounds and ambient music is awful, but other than that it isnt so bad. The combat itself feels somewhat wild, they could have used a targeting mechanic. Maybe fully free wheeling combat serves the game better, as you do have to get the knack of how the combos string together and work.

Once you get the hang of hitting combos and mixing different attacks in order to do the most damage, the combat becomes somewhat enjoyable. The gunplay feels flimsy, but overall it isnt atrocious.

I havent fucked with crafting yet and some have said thats the best aspect of this game. At the end of the day its DEFINETELY worth 15$. Worth 30$ the most, most definitely not worth 60. I say you guys try it out for 15$ its worth it IMO>
Thanks for update, Jozu. I feel like I dodged a bullet refunding my two copies. I think Godfall was last game I noped out of, and I am sad both of these games didn't turn out to be great. They probably aren't going to change the whole combat system, either, or the sound, or any of the other stuff. What a damn shame, I was super hyped for this one as well.

• 1Solidarity

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I thought I’d want to play this with kb/m because I was planning on going deadeye (primarily guns), but there is no aiming down sights. Without that, no reason not to go game pad, because I hate having to use alt+anything as a standard move. I’ll probably play through the whole thing with completely different classes out of lack of anything else really to play.
30 minutes of Genshin a day isn’t cutting it.

Jozu

The atmosphere and graphics in this game are fantastic. The world design and feel is impressive. A couple people did reviews today and there has been more positive feedback. If you can get past the shit sound design, poor hit mechanics and repetitive fetch quests then you will enjoy this game.

The crafting is pretty interesting as stated before. Overall I dont think the game is as bad as some of the earlier reviews make it out to be. Its not good, but its not abysmal. Im gonna try and finish it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
When it hits discount, for 30 bucks or so, I will revisit. I think the idea of a small team, not focused on what they wanted, borrowing from too many sources and not implementing those well for their particular game, just didn't have what they needed. It sounds again very much like Godfall, where the bones are there but the project overall needed more vision, experience, and discipline. Speaking as an outsider, though, there appears to be so much good here but the difference between mediocre and great can sometimes be so small.

Animated GIF

• 1Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
As I mentioned earlier I did pre-order this, only got to play for 2ish hours yesterday as I had some other plans but I can try to give an early perspective and add some details later.

Subjective:

• I really love the art style. The game is bright and interesting. The designs are cool and I dig the post apocalyptic earth without making it look like MadMax
  • Someone earlier commented on the sound being bad. I don't see that. It's not amazing to the point I would brag about it, but I think it blends in well enough as any other game I've played
  • All critters speak a different language so the narrator translates everything. I actually think that is kind of cool. Narrator is "ok", they could have done better but he's just bland enough that it works. I think I would get irritated if I had to listen to some crazy accent the entire game. Neat concept overall though.
  • Everything has stupid names based on what it is, not unlike a kid would name things. "The once was", the "boom boom" etc, I think they could have been a bit more creative here but my guess is they are trying to stick with the animal/simple theme for the whole game.
  • There is no direct aim in combat, It's almost like "aim-guide". This does not bother me but I've heard others complain about it

Objective(as much as possible):

• The tutorial is heavily woven in to the first 1-2 hours of the game it seems. It's quite welcoming to new players but if you just want to get in there and run around you will be skipping a lot of dialogue.
  • For the most part the movement/combat seem fluid and smooth. Camera and turning seem a bit fast but it may be my mouse/settings
  • There are little puzzles all over which reward with stuff or open paths which add an element beyond just fighting
  • The map does indeed get marked with stuff to do, but no more than AC or FarCry where the map shows you need to go somewhere
  • You can align with Dark/Light(good or evil). Didn't get far enough along to see consequences of this yet
  • Character creation is simple, but intuitive. Sad there is no separation between appearance and your role/class. Picking one picks the other. After that you can only change your color
  • Combat is heavily move based. Example: right click, left click, alt, right click or whatever. Not sure if there is a huge benefit to doing that over just shooting or hacking and dodging. Maybe it scales later or something
  • Opening the map(M) is fine, but to close it I have to leave the map and then leave another sort of "main menu" type of screen. Super fucking annoying when I'm checking the map(bad habit?)
  • There is no minimap....or maybe I earn it later?
  • You have this little bug that follows you. It can do shit and you can upgrade it
  • The game is heavy on finding shit and crafting, but the interface for it could use a bit more information/tutorial. It was difficult for me to understand "DPS" when comparing slower hard hitting things to fast lighter hitting things. The quick stuff feels like it does way more dmg but without a "summary" it's hard to know which is better.
  • The talents/perks/skills seem somewhat limited and basic. You don't really have a huge level of character customization on that part
  • Crafting however is where you can customize. You can apparently make an insane amount of stuff and make it quite cool looking. In the theme of the little animals living in post-human world, toiletbrush sword/mace is an option!

Also FYI, don't jump in the oil, it gets all over your fur and you drown and die.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Played a bit last night. It's not a bad game, not a great game, but I enjoyed the time. Might not be worth $60 but that's subjective, it definitely doesn't deserve the hate.

The furry mutant apocalypse somehow works. My main complaint is that they could have done much more with the concept. Hopefully it's popular enough, and they care enough, to flesh out the world a bit more in future content.

Jozu

Yeah, the game doesnt deserve the amount of perceived hate its getting from the "big youtube reviewers".

There are better games out there, but this isnt that bad. Im enjoying it.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The hate, I think, is due to the tedium once you hit like 10 hours. Apparently it becomes quite the redundant torture lab.

The first few hours were fun for everyone I saw.

Jozu

Yea I think you are correct sir.

I actually had a really, really good experience early in the game. I was rewarded for exploring, I had challenging boss fights which were fun, and intro to crafting is awesome.

But after a while things do get repetitive, I mean fuck, they even give you the option to basically auto win the last few kingdoms after you beat the first 3. That is unheard of. But hey, I guess the devs knew it was a slog, so they gave you a way out lol.

How do you give the player a shortcut to bypass almost 35 % of your games content?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

First 60-90 minutes is a real slog. No loot whatsoever drops because you have to do all this flashback stuff before crafting is opened up, and it's a while past that point before you'll have enough money and resources to actually craft something better than the trash you start with. It's 10x worse as a Deadeye compared to Merc too, since Deadeye starts with the most retarded loadout of gear they could possibly have come up with. Psi-Freak is probably pretty bad too.

Even once gear starts dropping regularly, it's still a bit frustrating because practically everything seems to drop as L7 or L10 (and occasionally even higher) when you're still like level 3-4. For some reason the VAST majority of my drops are hats too. Like 25 hats, 5 or so chests and legs, 3 shoulders, 1 backpack, and zero masks. Still not seeing much in the way of reward for exploration either. Encounters out in the wild are few and very far between, and I've found almost nothing that wasn't located at an obvious landmark or near a blue sidequest/collection marker.

That said, it did get better once I got a mount and the jet ski, as well as crafting my Deadeye a really good automatic rifle (with the perk that effectively doubles the mag size while also making it almost impossible to screw up the instant reload timing). Still not a huge fan of how gun "aiming" works, but it's still better than the melee combat at least.

I can definitely see the game being fun from about hour 3 to 10 or so, but I won't be surprised if I get sick of it like most reviewers seemed to and use the autowin to just get it done.

• 2Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
It really sounds like the reviews were spot on, sadly. Maybe they can patch some of that out but it sounds like the game needed more time or more outside input. Did they just run out of steam? Who doesn't know or feedback that the game is slog early on and then repetitive from hour 10-16? Game feels empty? Quests need diversity? it just seems like they No Man's Skyed it.