Bioshock Infinite

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
No idea why they're giving away such crazy pre-order bonuses. This game is obviously an easy purchase for anyone. So excited for it.

Rime

<Donor>
No idea why they're giving away such crazy pre-order bonuses. This game is obviously an easy purchase for anyone. So excited for it.
Steam has been experimenting with this type of pre-order for a while now, though this is easily the 'biggest' game that they have done it with. I am on the fence about getting this through Steam, I probably will if they get close enough to the X-Com prize, but otherwise, I will go with another company, as I have little desire for still more TF2 hats.

I wonder, if they fail to get close to the last goal, if there is going to be a huge rush of cancelled pre-orders through Steam and purchases of the game through other companies.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They did the same thing with XCOM, and after the last pre-order bonus at Steam (Civ V) unlocked they spread it around to GMG, Amazon, etc. as well. May or may not happen this time since they are already offering Spec Ops: The Line, Bioshock 2, Mafia 2, Civ V, or Darkness 2 for free at GMG*. And just like XCOM, GMG vouchers aren't valid for Bioshock Infinite, but they do give you ~25% off in a way that doesn't violate whatever terms in their deal with 2K.

*-Definitely go with Spec Ops if you don't own it yet. Fantastic game.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Meh site compresses it a bit much. Let me put them up somewhere for download if you want to read it.

Download it here if you want to read it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/brz8hpi3uv...Bioshock.zip?m

rrr_img_15971.jpg
rrr_img_15970.jpg

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Go preorder this on Steam you wankers, I want my free XCOM!

Breakarms_sl

shitlord
PC gamer spent 5 hours with the game and had a glowing preview in their latest mag.
I'm sure they gave a glowing preview of Diablo 3 too. The truth is, Bioshock 2's story wasn't as inspired or as interesting as 1 to begin with and now they're making another. Something tells me this will be more like Dishonored than Bioshock 1 or 2 but the story will be much worse and some kind of bastardized version including bits and pieces of American history that the developers thought sounded like something someone wants to hear. I hope my cynicism of the game industry of late is ill placed but I for sure won't be pre-purchasing it that is for damn sure.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I'm sure they gave a glowing preview of Diablo 3 too. The truth is, Bioshock 2's story wasn't as inspired or as interesting as 1 to begin with and now they're making another. Something tells me this will be more like Dishonored than Bioshock 1 or 2 but the story will be much worse and some kind of bastardized version including bits and pieces of American history that the developers thought sounded like something someone wants to hear. I hope my cynicism of the game industry of late is ill placed but I for sure won't be pre-purchasing it that is for damn sure.
Bioshock 2 was made by a completely different studio than Bioshock 1, so I still have quite a lot of faith and benefit of the doubt for the guys making Bioshock Infinite. They had nothing to do with Bioshock 2.

Caliane

As stated, yeah, Bioshock 2 was handed off.

Ken Levine the head of Irrational, started with Looking Glass Studios.
He worked on Thief: The Dark Project.
Founded Irrational. lead on System Shock 2.
Then created Freedom Force, Tribes:vengeance, and Swat4.
Then Bioshock. And now Bioshock Infinite.

The guy and Irrational has pretty damn good resume.

There are rumors of troubles with this game though. I haven't preordered yet.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I'll preorder if I get XCOM with it, otherwise I can easily wait for a sale.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
First, I loved Bioshock 1 and 2 for great gameplay. That said, and I know I'm in the minority, I don't understand why everyone says the story in Bioshock 1 was so amazing. It had a great world and atmosphere but the plot was almost nonexistent. The great gameplay was the driving force and the plot was only there to move it along. There was one good plot-twist but because the plot was only a vehicle the twist didn't really matter all that much. Bioshock 2 was the same as 1 except it didn't have the plot twist but didn't really need it (and 1 didn't need it either). Again, great games, great atmospheres, can't wait for Infinite, but I just don't get the people talking about how good the story was in 1.

My main drawback to Bioshock 2 was there wasn't a single thing really new or innovative compared to 1. Just more of the same which was fine for me in a game series this good. Infinite clearly has something new at least in the new world and new atmosphere department so I'm pretty excited.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I don't think Bioshock 1 was everthathighly praised for its story, though it was fantastic up until after the encounter with Andrew Ryan (it went all downhill after that and really could have ended there). Bioshock 1 was mostly lavished with praise for its amazing as fuck atmosphere. Everything about the atmosphere just blew everything else the fuck away at the time.

Bioshock 2 really shouldn't be brought up in any conversations when making comparisons between of quality between the original Bioshock and what Infinite might be. Again, Bioshock 2 was made by a completely separate studio known as 2K Marin while Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite are from Irrational Games aka 2K Boston (and Demiurge Studios helped with the development). 2K Marin is helping with Bioshock Infinite to get it shipped, but the real creative force behind the original Bioshock is at the helm again (and didn't participate at all in Bioshock 2).

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'll even go so far as to say that Bioshock 1's gameplay was far from stellar. The use of plasmids was too restrictive and more-often-than-not gimmicky. There was the occasional "aha!" moments but you could go through the whole game on the hardest difficulty never using a plasmid and be fine.

Like Sean said, the real genius behind Bioshock 1 was its atmosphere and ambiance. Everything was consistent and high quality. The world was well thought out and executed masterfully. It more than made up for the other shortcomings of the game.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man people that hate on Bioshock 2, I just don't get it. If anything it was a 9.5 down from Bioshocks 10.

Anyway, I already have all the pre-order bonuses for this game. So, I'm wondering where should I buy it? Do they have a Collectors Edition? Maybe a GMG awesomsauce coupon?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
More like a 7 down from Bioshock's 8 imo.

Definitely agree with Bioshock being all atmosphere with a weak story and gameplay. Bioshock 2 was more of the same, except without the atmosphere.

I still have faith that Ken Levine will make an actual successor to System Shock 2 one of these days though.

Caliane

Atmospheric storytelling is still storytelling. Story is the whole package.
BS1's gameplay was shit. And of course everything after the Ryan reveal is near complete shit. As that one blog about how "it should have ended" put it. And was of course completely correct.

BS2 improved the gameplay a TON. The story is better then people give it credit for. Its a spoof on cults and communism. A bit less meat then BS1. the real issue is the tangents and a bit of absurdities. The mary sue Big sister was a big meh. Sinclair getting a shitty ending. Same with the fishtank guy... Missteps. while the little sister level was pretty great.