Bioware's "Anthem"

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I don't think it's as bad as people are making out in this thread. If you want a legit opinion average out the general views on the game between here and the rest of the internet.

Well, I'll just have to wait and see the 2.9 metacritic user score.

Then I'll say it's shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People wanting a Pulitzer prize winning story in a looter shooter are just being dumb. This is no worse than anything similar, imo. Nothing complained about in here has been as bad as described, but we all overstate stuff we're annoyed with. The after activity stat screen is pretty bad though, takes too long even if you skip it all. Have it be available AFTER you're back in Tarsis or Launch Bay.

All that being said, the game does lack polish. The Premier bug screwed up progression a lot with it allowing people to have all the javelins way way early, and all the Coin they could possibly want. They need to limit the amount of time you're sitting at the matchmaking screen for Freeplay / Launch Bay. Waiting more than 10sec to get into either place is bad.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
The worse bugs I've come across is all game audio just dying and you need to restart to get it back. And mouse/keyboard is utterly atrocious. If you swing your mouse around too quickly it starts dropping input. Gamepad is far superior especially for flying.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
People wanting a Pulitzer prize winning story in a looter shooter are just being dumb. This is no worse than anything similar, imo. Nothing complained about in here has been as bad as described, but we all overstate stuff we're annoyed with. The after activity stat screen is pretty bad though, takes too long even if you skip it all. Have it be available AFTER you're back in Tarsis or Launch Bay.

All that being said, the game does lack polish. The Premier bug screwed up progression a lot with it allowing people to have all the javelins way way early, and all the Coin they could possibly want. They need to limit the amount of time you're sitting at the matchmaking screen for Freeplay / Launch Bay. Waiting more than 10sec to get into either place is bad.
Spot on here. I feel like a bunch of you are old and bitter. Jeez.

Yes I canceled my sub, but all these complaints sound like dudes bitching about story in some campy Action Film or something? Why the fuck are you expecting some amazing story in a multiplayer game?

Or maybe that's how we've just been conditioned and it's all wrong? I don't know. Single player game like Witcher? Better have a great fucking story. Multiplayer? Who gives a shit. I don't pay attention to the story and don't play it for the story. I hope to find the time to get into end game or more coop PvE content, and so I can better decide whether I want to keep playing.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
I made the mistake of opening the Geforce Experience last night....

Nah, that wasn't your mistake. Installing Geforce Experience was your mistake. Do a full driver uninstall (proper safemode driver clean uninstall), and custom install the new drivers, WITHOUT the Geforce Experience.

My experience with the game so far has been mostly positive. I'm level 18, and have put in about 18 hours so far.

My system is an i7-8700k (standard clocks), a 1080ti, 144hz/1440p with the 8.1.940.0 drivers, all on ultra with motion blur turned off and post processing on medium to keep motion blur off (why is this a thing?). It's been rock solid the entire time.

Besides the initial server issues at launch moment, I've had 1 quickplay mission that didn't have any mobs in it, and couldn't progress the mission, so more and more people kept quickplaying into it, creating a black hole of people getting pissed off. This was the last time I bothered to fuck around with quickplay. Stupidly long load times are the norm, even with an M.2. 1 mission that took a good 3 minutes for the mission to find the first way point and get shit rolling. 2 missions that have disconnected me from the server on either zoning in, or an area transition, and finally 1 mission that my sound cut out mid-mission and forced a game reboot to get it back, so they still haven't fixed this problem properly yet. I heard that happened all the time in the demo. The sound issue just hit during the mission I hit level 18, so it's taken quite awhile to surface, I just hope it's not all that common and they are still working on it.

Gunplay is awful. Movement is ok. Loot is uninspired. Environments are awesome, but very same-y. Scale is incredible, they really did put a bunch of time making use of the full z-axis. Big things are big, tight little passageways are tight. Mountains are mountainous. It's crazy that most games get the sense of scale wrong and every "mountain" is just a tiny hill. I realise that most of that is the fault of engine limitations, and gameplay decisions that not make it take 2 weeks to walk somewhere.

Story... lots of complaints from people here... and I don't share them. I'm running all the side missions and talking points from everyone in Tarsis. There's a few characters that suck, not because they are badly written, or because they are badly acted, but because Pirndel is a dipshit. Max on the other hand is awesome, Matthis is cool, Brin is odd. Rythe is a strange one and in huge danger of becoming a terrible character. The cross-over arc with Rythe and Max may actually save Rythe as a character though.

Gameplay feels good, not excellent though. The gameplay loop is kinda broken, think I've stepped out into Freeplay once so far, so the world looks big but feels tiny. Not sure that makes sense but meh, it'll do for now. Finished the Bronze monthly target already without knowing what the target was. The loop is just click mission, do mission, equip new gear, go talk to people, repeat. The lack of waypointing around the town is annoying at first and then liberating.... and then becomes annoying again on 12th fucking walk to go so the Chronicler or some other character you need a sound bite from.

Missions so far have been stand here, click this, stand here, kill that group, go here, click this. Totally uninspired shit for the most part, even the radio chatter tends to get tiresome. Only ever done missions on Hard. At around level 15 some of these missions actually became a little difficult.

Stronghold on Hard was impossible for a pug at level 13, not sure if it's a level thing or not, tired a shitload to get it done, never made it past the first miniboss. Tried again on normal and breezed through it. Might be possible with a crew and voice comms.

TL-DR: Haven't had the issues most people have, game is average and has room to be awesome.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I don't really mind the story, it's the design decisions relating to it.

Had a mission where you go meet up with a couple people (being vague intentionally), and you literally have a few minutes of exposition with those people and some stuff happens.

By the time it was over my group was gone and I had 2 new group members.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
The worse bugs I've come across is all game audio just dying and you need to restart to get it back. And mouse/keyboard is utterly atrocious. If you swing your mouse around too quickly it starts dropping input. Gamepad is far superior especially for flying.

Not sure if this works, haven't tried it for sound (used spoiler cause image is huge):
Screenshot_20190216-141625.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Thus far i can only give this a 2.5 out of 5. The Fort is too big to have to move so slow(unless im missing the ability to run). I hate having to crawl to move to each individual and pretend im going to do anything but spam skip to bypass all the nonsense. If youre downed in combat your shit outta luck unless you restart the entire client or youre lucky and your teammate isnt afk or something. Visuals are good but no where near as good as e3 no matter how many gigarays youre sporting. Honestly it really is mediocre atm and i feel its only going to get worse as i get more levels due to the fact that their are only 3 dungeons to run at max level - who ever let that happen needs to be golden showered. By the time im max level id have likely ran them 4-10 times each and god forbid its all there is to do at 30 - this would be uninstalled super quick.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I don't really mind the story, it's the design decisions relating to it.

Had a mission where you go meet up with a couple people (being vague intentionally), and you literally have a few minutes of exposition with those people and some stuff happens.

By the time it was over my group was gone and I had 2 new group members.

This part of the story was when I started getting into it, then after the cool cutscene (mid mission with pugs) I get a CTD. Try to log back into it but get a message that session expired or something. When I finally got back in my sidekick was talking about some cool shit that went down that I apparently missed....

• 1Worf

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

90% of games i just skip all the cut scenes and dialogue anyways.

Just give me shit to shoot, don't bore me with the "why"

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Occasionally as I played my mouse would briefly stop responding. Do other people experience this? Was wondering if this is how latency is manifested in this game or if it's my computer starving for resources.
I was experiencing this, made the game unplayable. Dozens of people on reddit reporting the same issue. The issue seems to be various keyboard/mouse actions will cause the anthem window to lose mouse/keyboard focus for 1+ seconds at a time, like alt-tabbing would do. That's why they stop responding. Todays bug megathread on reddit has many many reports of this issue.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
So it looks like if you get DC'd in freeplay you lose all your loot and xp?

If you then re-enter Freeplay, you'll get your loot back, but all your feats/xp will get nuked. I guess that's something.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
The problem is you can't run in the Fort or at least it sure doesn't seem to do anything when you hit sprint. It's something they have acknowledged at least.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
My system is an i7-8700k (standard clocks), a 1080ti, 144hz/1440p with the 8.1.940.0 drivers, all on ultra with motion blur turned off and post processing on medium to keep motion blur off (why is this a thing?). It's been rock solid the entire time.

Stronghold on Hard was impossible for a pug at level 13, not sure if it's a level thing or not, tired a shitload to get it done, never made it past the first miniboss. Tried again on normal and breezed through it. Might be possible with a crew and voice comms.

I did my first Hard Stronghold with a pug (12,13,15,17). It was a bit rough at first but the team started to stick together after a few wipes. We beat the final boss but it was disappointing in that there was no final loot chest and it instantly ended. Prior mini bosses had nice loot chests. Up until that missions were a bit bland but the stronghold play did finally offer a nice challenge and something more interesting than stand in the ring goals.

• 1Worf

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So it looks like if you get DC'd in freeplay you lose all your loot and xp?

If you then re-enter Freeplay, you'll get your loot back, but all your feats/xp will get nuked. I guess that's something.

This is how i kept having to level to 6 multiple times - if youre very unlucky you will level to 1

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
We died on Tyrant mine hard, then it started telling us we need to get the echoes when we want back to fight him again - script was all over the place. I am hoping they have a miracle patch for the official "official" release, you know when the game really comes out?