Bioware's "Anthem"

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Cool, that means it's time to try out the PC version and see if loading times aren't AIDS.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Never played destiny, not really into these types of games but for 15$ on the ea access shit figured id give it a go.

add me on origin AsleepDanzZz

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Watching guys do GM2 strongholds. Brings a whole new meaning to bullet sponge.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
The bugs aside its still at its core a pretty fun game. I will be looking forward to seeing what they add and how they balance shit. I got like 5-6 masterwork and one legendary last night and the crack is beginning.

But yeah i mention the negative shit here that bugs me but in all honesty out of the 40 some hours I played this game I had fun, and this is all solo btw. Im sure if you add some buddies into the mix its even better.

ITs got me hooked, pretty much broke my D2 addiction on the spot. Cant wait to get home and grind out soem loots. The thing thats really cool about this game is you actually FEEL the power those items give you. Thank god this is a PvE game where you dont have PvP faggots whining about everything and Devs normalizing everything because of all the crying those faggots do.

They definitely have the framework with the javelin play, combo's etc down pat - it's everything around it that needs a ton of work. I'll be very interested in seeing the general reaction Friday, and how much support Bioware/EA plan to throw Anthems way
Wrong? Not at all. Many are trying to compare Anthem to other games which BioWare has made, like their single player story driven action games. Anthem is clearly not that type of game, so I don't fault it for having a moderately interesting Story, at all. I knock it for having Tarsis be the way that it is, and I think SkillUp described Tarsis 100% correctly. Yet he goes on and on about how poorly the story in Anthem compares to previous BioWare titles... and I'm like, so what? That BioWare is long gone. Its like me, who thinks the story is "ok", then praising Anthem. The Story in Anthem doesn't make the game great or horrible. I never expected it too, nor would I ever compare it to Mass Effect / KotoR. I guess there should be a more apparent difference between giving an opinion on how the game is, versus giving a review on how the game is (or should be). I certainly didn't agree with Arekkz opinion about Tarsis, I laughed at it.

How does Anthem compare to the other games in its genre? Did Destiny, Warframe, Division, or even Diablo / PoE have a stellar storyline? Were they bug free? Did they have enough content? Were their missions/quests have a wide range of variation? Nope, none of them did, and they were all as buggy as Anthem. There is nothing so horribly wrong with Anthem that I haven't seen in other games, the best point Upper Echelon made is how shitty the game industry is, and how it is so easy for to release unfinished games. Its how it is, saying we the buyers need to stop supporting this by not buying these games is such wishful thinking that its borderline insanity. If people like the idea of a game, they will most likely buy it and either be happy or mad, but they will still buy it.

I have no idea how much or little you've actually played Anthem, but I'll assume you made it through the story, reached max level and started the loot grind. The endgame in Anthem is the loot, not the content you run to get the loot (imo). You don't need to run specific content to get the best gear, that is you dn't need to run a stronghold 100 times in hopes of getting something. Everything you do gives you the chance to get what you want. The number of strongholds is indeed anemic, even less so when you realize one of them is just a harder version of the last story mission. You say there are no "nightmare-esque" versions, I guess you can say that given the increased difficulty tiers don't seem to change a lot of what you'll fight.

How much bigger do you want the Freeplay zone to be? I'd say it about the same size as EDZ and Nessus combined. Do you just want a bunch of smaller areas with different biomes? I can see how having one big jungle/forested/mountainous area being a disappointment, but oh well? How much more mission variety do you want? I see Anthem as a mindless grinder, much like Rift farming in Diablo, I couldn't care less about mission variety, and I think its not as needed some want to state. These looter shooters are all the same in that regard, none of them have a wide variety of mission types? Warframe? I'd agree, but how many different types of those missions do people actively do vs. the endless mission types (if they have a choice)?

You rant about customization. I kinda agree with you there, but I would REALLY prefer Anthem to not go down the path that Warframe has with all its ridiculous "bling" that you can place on your character, it just looks bad. In today's Dev stream they let people know that in the next patch, sometime in March (that is the goal), they are introducing a Vanity Chest system to strongholds. The system will have you run a daily challenge to get 1 Key that will open a chest at the end of the stronghold which will contain a vanity item (Decal, Material-type, Emote, Paints, etc). They plan on having 100 such items in the pool at the start (I'd be surprised if its really 100), and you won't get dupes. There will be 4 chests, one for each person in the team, and each of those chest will shared, so you'll get 3 more vanity items. Sounds good to me.

I guess I am just tired of people trying to say Anthem should have been like X game from that past because BioWare made really good single player RPGs in the past. Just comment on how the game -is-, and if you think the game is utter shit based on its own, that is fine! There are aspects to Anthem that are complete shit; Tarsis, Tether system, and number of loading screens... all those are total shit. Yet the aspects of the game that make it a looter shooter? Those are great and fun, but if people think those aspects are shit too, that is fine. Just don't try to say they are shit because the gameplay isn't like some X game from the past. Make no sense to me.

Good post - I think the issue for most of the reviewers lies with the fact that Bioware themselves have sold a bill of goods that they failed to deliver on (in certain respects), and we've had 2/3 different loot/shooter games come out to sort of build off of and improve and I just don't believe they've done that (The gear grind officially begins tonight for me, so I'll have to judge the weapons/mods on my experiences soon - it does look fairly compelling creating builds based on your drops, certainly). A lot of the negativity surrounding this is also I believe just plain ole disappointment a lot of people probably feel, especially given Biowares previous pedigree. I never played Fallout 76, but the reaction in the gaming community seems fairly similar, given Bethesda's standing as well as Biowares.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Good time to start the loot grind, I think. I just did 3 legendary contracts and got: 1 legendary, 9 masterworks (3 of those being components) on GM1. Yesterday I thought I was lucky to get 3 masterworks in total. Loading times seem about the same, buuuut so far all team members have loaded in at the same time, which is nice. Tether still exists in the open world, but I haven't seen it pop inside a minidungeon even if other players are way ahead.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Played it since early access and the game is a solid 6/10 for me.

I don't think it deserves all the hate and I do feel like the internet had decided to hate it regardless of what it had actually been.

But then again, it has massive flaws in both gameplay loop and performance.

All in all Utnayan has autism.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
You're playing this Utnayan Utnayan ? I thought you detested Bioware. Why the choice to support them?

"I have loads of money/I got it cheap/I'm using some kind of subscription model/I'm going to return it"

Literally equating to: My time is worth nothing, and I prove this by doing things I clearly hate.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
6/10 is a piss poor review if you ask me.

My biggest complaints are loading screens and lack of play styles, specifically on the interceptor. You are specifically pigeon holed into one build since all the other ones are lack luster.

1. Tag enemy with ability that makes them take more damage.
2. Throw venom grenade on enemy.
3. use melee strike ability for massive damage.
4. Jump in the air and do regular melee move for combo damage.

Rinse/Repeat.

Since weapons do fuck all for damage I rarely used them unless everything was on cooldown. There is also little variety in weapons and how they feel/work.

It needed something like PoE's system with lots of different abilities and builds.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
"I have loads of money/I got it cheap/I'm using some kind of subscription model/I'm going to return it"

Literally equating to: My time is worth nothing, and I prove this by doing things I clearly hate.

I don't think those are the only reasons to it. Sheer curiosity alone would be a legitimate reason to check it out even if one never intended to play it much, but I know Ut has a really big issue with Bioware, so I'm surprised he's willing to even contribute to the metrics

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
..all in all Utnayan has autism.
Ut might be over the top at times but rarely do I find him to be wrong, even when I want him to be. I can't remember what game he started in on here (whereever "here" was at the time" but even in this case, I have multiple copies coming, so I will be proffering my opinion this weekend. I want to give them as much time as possible to patch that crapfest up.

If the whole experience (lore/gameplay)is as good as Destiny 1 at launch, I will be thrilled. Right now, I am prepping to be disappointed. Possibly severely. If you don't want to hear someone talk poorly about your baby, either go find fanbois, or pick(?) a different baby.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
The main problem for me is that the game is just worse than warframe in almost every way. It's kind of unfair to judge a brand new game against something which has been out for 6 years but since I've played warframe so much it's hard not to make direct comparisons. Anthem does look good and on that front it definitely beats Warframe. Based on what I've seen there could be something good there in the range and power of loot you can get. If I hadn't had such game breaking bugs I'd probably be further along in the game and able to experience that myself. I gave up on the game for a few days because I have the K+M losing control randomly bug, which happens a dozen times or more per mission.. But yesterday I started playing with an xbone controller on my PC and that has improved it quite a lot.
I already cancelled my origin premier in a fit of rage at the controls bug. I've got some time for the game to grow on me and maybe ill add another month or buy the game if my perception changes.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Here is the problem. They ran their mouth about the story themselves and set expectations when they shouldn’t have.

BioWare touts Anthem’s story, drops Game Awards trailer | Massively Overpowered

And they also shot themselves in the ass with seamless loading claims since a year and a half ago and we all saw how that turned out.

I understand where you are coming from. But these guys should just shut the fuck up and not get themselves in trouble.

The issue isn’t with player expectations. It’s with EA and continuing to use Bioware’s label in ways that are completely false and unethical. And they won’t knock that off either. If anyone is ringing the bell of story and BioWare in the same sentences, it’s because of their own fuckery. You can’t blame players for thinking there will be a grand story when 1) they were known for it. 2) BioWare continues to harp on story they can’t produce any longer as mislead the masses. Continually. Because they are unethical fucks.

People here are smarter and follow this. 99% of gamers out there don’t.

So you would have a point if EA didn’t cause the false advertising to begin with.
Well, the first is just hype, and if people set their expectations on how a studio hypes up their game, you deserve to be disappointed... every time. Having you in particular bring up that point is kinda funny since you're well aware of shallow hype is, lol. Not defending any studio from trying to hype up their game, it sucks, but you have to generate interest. So, don't drink the koolaid.

As to your second example, the Freeplay zone (the "gameworld") really is seamless. You won't encounter a single load screen while traveling through, unless you want too do two things: 1 - enter a mini dungeon zone, or 2 - go back to Tarsis. Not counting the stupid tether system, since you can avoid that too if you want. If Anthem was able to have a phasing system like Destiny for those mini dungeons, no one would bring the seamless argument up.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
GM1 is a cakewalk if you get 4 people with the marksman rifle that shoots lightning. Shit just burns down in no time.