Bioware's "Anthem"

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I doubt it. They also showed rewards for killing a sponge bob 100 times (takes forever to kill one much less 100 of the things I guess) and the reward is 2,000. The entire reward system is fucked. Not shocking given the state of everything else. At least that is fixable if they don’t instead want to drive everyone to the cosmetic shop.
No, if he spent 60hrs farming Tyrant Mine and is complaining about only earning 93k, then yes, he is playing poorly. The cost of MW ember in that show is truly dumb, no argument there. If it were like 500-1000? Good. You can also, if you're willing to do so, craft a set of components that have +harvest (still rng to get that perk, sadly) which will make a huge difference in the number of Embers you get. Doubt they tried that out though.

The reward system IS truly sucky, there should be more cosmetics tied to the really grindy challenges. The Tomb quest joe -still- bitches about even though it was changed/fixed so that its a non-issue when you get is the easiest of those challenges (also explains that Medal system if they bothered to read anything). The Challenge of Valor he showed is also not that bad, if Quickplay didn't place you in broken instances so often, I'd be done with. The next one is where it starts to kick you in the balls, 2500 kills of each enemy faction, and 1k of something else. After that? Time gated grind tied to Dailies / Weeklies. For Coin. The cosmetic chests you will get at the end of strongholds coming in a couple weeks will help, but I'm guessing most of those will be Emotes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
31 hours into the game level 30 for about 4 hours and im at 128k coins. So I will say again he's doing it wrong.
Were you gifted some coin right after the tutorial? Most if not all the Premier members got a sizable chunk of Coin, I got 160k which I've spent. I think I've made around 120-130k coin in my 90-ish hours.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
I am at 44 hours played and have made nearly 150 K. LOL @ buying masterwork embers. Dismantle the bad rolls, and pick up shit from harvesting.

• 1Seriously?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Story is butt, load screens are butt, everything fort tarsis is butt and the random missions that decide to fuck up are butt.

Hit 26 hours, L30, 120kish coins and have full masterwork aside from the support piece in a handful of GM1 runs.

I don't think have it in me to chase 100 world events around to finish that one quest even if it unlocks more content.

Still was fun for $15 and a weekend of gaming, but it needs so much to make it worth buying at full or discounted price.

I also don't see how anyone could play more than a few hours a week once the newness wears off. There just isn't anything to chase.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
YEah who the fuck buys masterwork embers? Go to freeplay and collect ~25 per hour.

Also they are working on fixing shit rolls on loot that dont make sense. Like getting +ammo on a melee gear for example..So I would quit crafting shit until all this gets sorted out..

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
Were you gifted some coin right after the tutorial? Most if not all the Premier members got a sizable chunk of Coin, I got 160k which I've spent. I think I've made around 120-130k coin in my 90-ish hours.

Premier members were supposed to get a bonus 40k but there was a bug that was rewarding people 2x/3x even 4x that amount so if you were lucky you could start 160k. There was also a bug that unlocked extra javelins for at the start. By level 2 I had all 4 Javelins unlocked and 80k coins... lol

• 2Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
How does the pilot get his arms into the suit without them turning into squiggly noodles?

Is that why npc arms do the S in cinematics, because in the future our arms are now 7 bones?

• 2Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have 25 hours so far and I'm level 26. Easily going to get another 15 hours of farming/strongholds so the Origin pass was a win for me.

Definitely not game of the year, but people just need to chill the fuck out a bit.

I am pretty similar. Had a lot of fun with friends in this doing story line stuff. It is rough around the edges but the core gameplay is fun and engaging. I think as it stands its proabably an upper 60s-70s out of 100 which could improve a lot if they can squash that stupid sound bug and a couple crash bugs one of my team mates kept hitting. If they keep supporting this I think this will be a really enjoyable game to play for quite a while. I already enjoy this more than destiny and head and shoulders more fun than division 1 was for me.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Game needs a horde wave defense mode.

There are a few missions that are already really close to this. I think adding in horde wave defense mode things a la mass effect 3 multiplayer would both be really fun in this game and should be pretty damn easy to implement. All the pieces are there just needs to put them together.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
And it can start out with a crash as a sequel because it did highly effective world building in the original.

I have played a lot more Anthem and softened on it in a number of ways. The core competencies remain good and big issues remain but with time, more of the world makes sense and what they were going for starts to become more clear. The one game as an influence that I didn't expect but really should have seen coming: The Witcher 3. Disgraced former protectors killing savage beasts in the Wild beyond the walls? But at every turn the beyond thoughtless design decisions. For example: At the end of every mission, you are awarded badges based upon your actions in the missions, and given XP for them. What are they? At that moment, no way tell. You can go into the Codex, while in the mission, I think, or at some other point, but when they are awarded to, did Bioware think to add a tooltip? A text summary anywhere listing out all of the mission feats achieved? Of course not! Its right next to the character sheet in the "good ideas we aren't going to implement because...reasons" bucket. in the Bioware office.

Why not have started the player off with a couple of easier tutorial missions, then have them engage in the Heart of Rage that goes wrong? Let the player choose where in the world of Bastion they are from, give a player a chance ala Elder Scrolls to pick a backstory, etc. it would invest the player in the story and the characters, the freelancers, etc. Slowly ease the player into this world of all new IP, rather than drop them in crash course and then ask them to familiarize themselves shock-therapy style?

Why do javelins overheat so quickly outside of combat, other than to make travel a PITA? Are they fat-shaming my Colossus?

Something else that bothers me. If there are SO many Shaper relics, why are they left to "freelancers"? Wouldn't survival require something more organized vis-a-vis the Sentinels? Make them more rare, or lower powered and give the Freelancers some other function in society.

I am enjoying it when you get used to the needlessly cumbersome mechanics, and reading the Anthem forums, there are a great many folks who are highly invested in it. Can the game outrun the poor decisions? Can Bioware patch past the baked-in flaws? I can't see it maintaining interest long enough to allow Bioware to code its way out of its 5 year old choices into a really good game, which is a shame, because the core is there for some great.

One thing I have noticed once you get used to the somewhat odd cooling mechanics in flight you can actually fly for very long stretches but you have to work the suit. Fly up high and then when you start over heating dive steeply. Always watch for waterfalls/rivers to skim. If you try to just go point A to point B directly you will overheat a fair bit but if you kinda fly a series of arcs and hit water falls you can go almost indefinitely.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Noticed tonight while I bit the bullet to finish the 25 Quickplay runs for Valor, that if you run on Normal you won't encounter dead instances nearly as much on other difficulties. Had to make 9 more runs, only 1 was bugged.

• 1Like

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Noticed tonight while I bit the bullet to finish the 25 Quickplay runs for Valor, that if you run on Normal you won't encounter dead instances nearly as much on other difficulties. Had to make 9 more runs, only 1 was bugged.

I noticed that tonight also, normal worked everytime. But on hard it was always bugged.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
People here keep praising the colossus but good Lord do I love the storm. Nothing like lobbing fireballs left and right while hovering 80 feet off the ground to punish mortals like some psychotic pyro space mage

• 2Solidarity

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
People here keep praising the colossus but good Lord do I love the storm. Nothing like lobbing fireballs left and right while hovering 80 feet off the ground to punish mortals like some psychotic pyro space mage

Yeah, I love the Storm too, but I prefer freezing the entire battleground with Ice Storm. I play with a friend who plays an Interceptor, so I freeze everything, he goes in and melees everything gaining a freezing aura that freezes everything I haven't frozen. It's super fun. :)

We're just 13 on normal though, so not sure how viable that is at higher level and higher difficulty but it's a blast right now.

I did unlock the Colossus, and damn that thing is a beast and I am poorly geared right now. Flamethrower is so much fun. Fuck that stun when your shield breaks though, that's so annoying.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
First set of sales rumours are looking bad for this. Half of what Andromeda sold for UK physical. Access will have played into this of course, but who knows to what extent.

• 2Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I don't hate this game, but I'm glad I got it for free. I would not have paid for it, after reading this thread, but I am enjoying what I have played.

That said, after reading this thread, I decided to buy Destiny 2 for PC(I never played it and just built a new high-end PC). I'm having a lot more fun with it, than with Anthem.

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I love the Storm too, but I prefer freezing the entire battleground with Ice Storm. I play with a friend who plays an Interceptor, so I freeze everything, he goes in and melees everything gaining a freezing aura that freezes everything I haven't frozen. It's super fun. :)

We're just 13 on normal though, so not sure how viable that is at higher level and higher difficulty but it's a blast right now.

I did unlock the Colossus, and damn that thing is a beast and I am poorly geared right now. Flamethrower is so much fun. Fuck that stun when your shield breaks though, that's so annoying.

Freezing shit later on is huge, because some of those legendary hunters and turrets can fuck up your entire team in less than a hot minute if you dont take care of them, which is freezing and burning them down. Same thing with those scar heavies, or breaking the shields off enemies too. Shock is better for burning down shields but ice is the second best.

And yeah colossus flame and shock cannon is IMO the most fun setup for trash clearing. You have so many combos going off it sounds like a broken piano.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I don't hate this game, but I'm glad I got it for free. I would not have paid for it, after reading this thread, but I am enjoying what I have played.

That said, after reading this thread, I decided to buy Destiny 2 for PC(I never played it and just built a new high-end PC). I'm having a lot more fun with it, than with Anthem.

I like Destiny 2 better as well, but I hate destinys item grinds and it has very few good weapons. Also in Destiny 2, you never really feel more powerfoul aside some of the weapons you get which stand out amongst others, while in this game you actually feel your power growing. I like this game better for loot as well, because it just hits that Diablo loot grind which I like more. But yeah, from pure play perspective, you juct cannot beat Destiny 2 FPS elements, the movement, the gun play. It s just so smooth and it feels good to play it. I just think they need to fix the loot in that game.

• 2Like