Bioware's "Anthem"

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
First set of sales rumours are looking bad for this. Half of what Andromeda sold for UK physical. Access will have played into this of course, but who knows to what extent.

Updated article:
[Updated] First Anthem Sales in the UK Look Troublesome; Only 10% of Destiny’s First Week Sales

[Update] As covered by GamesIndustry, the UKIE/GfK has published its Top Ten for the week ending February 23rd. Anthem has claimed the first spot in the UK boxed charts, thereby beating recent big releases such as Metro Exodus and Far Cry: New Dawn. Unfortunately, actual sales numbers are missing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am kinda curious about the digital sales numbers. Most of my friends purchased anthem but none of them even the ones on console got a physical disk version.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
People here keep praising the colossus but good Lord do I love the storm. Nothing like lobbing fireballs left and right while hovering 80 feet off the ground to punish mortals like some psychotic pyro space mage
Or Ice up a herd of things and telepunch combo them into oblivion.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Everyone I got to try it did so via EA / Origin Access. One guy at work still debating whether or not to get it but he's PS4. Hard to imagine paying $60 for games when it's so inexpensive on the other platforms to demo the deluxe edition.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh box sales from Gamestop is like 10 yrs ago, who the fuck goes to stores to pick up physical copies anymore? (Also fuck that gamestop place.)

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Looking more like the 'blacklisted' Youtuber was just grandstanding.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Meh box sales from Gamestop is like 10 yrs ago, who the fuck goes to stores to pick up physical copies anymore? (Also fuck that gamestop place.)

I go to BB but I still have my GC active. Renewed right before they stopped the program :)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There's plenty of reasons to own a physical copy, but yeah, I don't know why one would want to go to a place like GS/EBG instead of just ordering it online from Amazon or someone else, outside of buy-local efforts.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There's plenty of reasons to own a physical copy, but yeah, I don't know why one would want to go to a place like GS/EBG instead of just ordering it online from Amazon or someone else, outside of buy-local efforts.

Maybe console, I can see that, but even then its a fucking hassle inserting disc every time, this is why I bought Destiny 1 twice, once in a box then I bought the whole fucking thing again during Taken King so I would not bother with the hassle of not having the disc, kids taking it and shit.

Consoles are glorified computers now anyway, they save all of your game library and shit, why even bother with physical copies, other than maybe trying to resell the shit later or something.

Alterity

Molten Core Raider
I agree with the reviews that this game is about a 6 out of 10, but I am still having a lot of fun playing for whatever reason. There's just something satisfying about just flying around and just demolishing everything on the screen especially with the storm.

I have been rotating contracts/strongholds in GM1 for endgame and have been avoiding freeplay because I've been playing solo. Quickplay has been broken every time I have tried so the fact a challenge is linked to that is fanfuckingtastic.

I finally decided to go into freeplay to try to get the Titan challenge and I feel like freeplay may be the way to farm especially if you have friends or find a decent group. What I have been doing is just going into freeplay and following around whoever is in the session with me. Sometimes it's people doing nothing, but sometimes it's someone looking to mission farm and you can get through missions at a pretty acceptable rate. I was getting a MW item every 2-3 missions in Freeplay and found 2 Legendaries over the course of the weekend. You also don't have to deal with load screens. It just would be so much easier if there was a text box so I could just ask them what they are trying to do in the session.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I still buy new games almost exclusively physical, but since Amazon Prime got rid of their -20% I don't see any reason to buy from them anymore when I can get the game 4-14 hours before the Amazon shipment would arrive by going to the GS a quarter mile from my house. Plus Amazon also stopped guaranteeing release day delivery on video games several years ago, so there's always the chance you won't get it on release day at all. I didn't receive my Switch pre-order of Tales of Vesperia (a Friday release) until the following Tuesday, and it happened with a few PS4 games in the past as well.

Vorph man, I love you (no homo) but for the love of all that is unholy, just send it back
I should have listened, but it was the weekend and there wasn't much point in tossing it back into a mailbox. Maybe if they'd left the loot at the "unintended" drop rate I could have forced myself to slog through to the endgame, but not now after reading about how they "fixed" it. Even a dumpster fire like Destiny 2 at release was a masterpiece compared to this.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm level 13 now and having fun playing this for an hour or two a night, but my opinion of this is a lot like my opinion about Conan: Exiles.

* Is this game worth $[current full-game standard price] in a broad, universal sense? Fuck no, even if there wasn't a single bug.

* Can you get $60 worth of entertainment out of it? Fuck yes, if you enjoy the few things the game does well.

I'd say there's a thousand reasons to give Bioware the middle finger and not give them any money for this, but you should only buy it if you watch some streams for a couple hours and like the look of the combat/flying/loot.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I got about 80 hrs into this over the past 2 weeks and extended weekend playtimes. Got all 4 javs into 460+ territory, but now im just going to do the daily legendary contracts, maybe a hour of freeplay for the legionare quest or whatever (need 100 freeplay events) until they add some more, fix the loot situation.

I like the game, I really do like the mech play. They all have a different feel to them from the quick lighting fast interceptor, to the lumbering heavy titan. I also like the loot system, although limited right now until they fix it.

Here is my take on the good and the bad... Some of the bad are minor things, but they are annoying...

Things I like:

The loot
You get more powerful, unlike other games that scale shit to your overall power
The mechs (javlins) feel good from the sounds, the movement, etc..
Upscale content is challenging
God roll gear is actually god roll, some shit just makes you OP as fuck
Matchmaking for activities is good, although sometimes it puts you in unbalanced groups (ie: 4 interceptors)
World design is cool, it has scale, it has the z axis this sort of game needs.
The 3 strongholds are cool (they need more)
Combat is fun

Things I do not like:

No character sheet
Lacking descriptions on shit
World needs to vary more, too samey, there needs to be shit like deserts, volcanic places, etc... (maybe they will add new areas with dlc?)
Gear has shit inscriptions that have nothing to do with the gear itself (I guess its being addressed)
Shit drop rates on good shit (they need to find right balance, and sat and sun last week is not it (I should not be getting whites greens and blues in GM1)
Broken missions
Too many loading screens (after you hit 30, fort Tarsis should be optional for the roleplayers wanting to talk to people, missions, strongholds, and contracts should be available in launch bay that has shorter load times)
Ability to switch gear wile you are in game (matchmaking with randoms sometimes the skills you choose is not right, Ie: 2 ice storms and you have a flamethrower with no way to change it)
Sound bug needs to be fixed ASAP
Quick play is broken (loads you 90% into broken missions, see point above)
Map needs way points
Free play needs more than 4 peeps IMO
Events in free play need to show up on map once triggered, or are about to (maybe change event system not to be triggered by someone flying by, but on a timer? I like how Destiny 2 does this, they show a timer countdown to start of event on map)

Item menu needs ability to dismantle items en masse (ie: delete all blues)
Ability to delete items from inventory screen (ie: delete those whites I picked up)
GM2 and GM3 need their own loot pool (masterwork+1? Legendary +1?, etc...) Then add more GM levels as time goes on, there is no incentive or reason to do GM2 or GM3 right now.
Ability to filter for names in friends list in game
PC needs text chat ASAP ( I dont understand why this is not a given this day and age)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Maybe console, I can see that, but even then its a fucking hassle inserting disc every time, this is why I bought Destiny 1 twice, once in a box then I bought the whole fucking thing again during Taken King so I would not bother with the hassle of not having the disc, kids taking it and shit.

Consoles are glorified computers now anyway, they save all of your game library and shit, why even bother with physical copies, other than maybe trying to resell the shit later or something.

Bandwidth as well. Everyone getting nailed with 1tb caps and these games are becoming larger and larger.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Resale ability
Shelf item
Actually owning what you buy (not losing the game if you have to contest something or get some bullshit ban)
Can save some bandwidth which some people have to worry about
Being able to buy local, or even regional

Comes with some obvious tradeoffs though. Fucking around with a disc that can also become damaged or stolen. Also needing to pay taxes while that's often avoidable through digital.

Enjoy the options available while we still have them, because I'd wager console games will join PC games in digital-only land within a decade.

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Do you ever get to see your actual character outside of the javelin? Just seems odd that we picked a face during 'character creation' when neither you nor anyone else actually sees you outside the suit.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I got about 80 hrs into this over the past 2 weeks and extended weekend playtimes. Got all 4 javs into 460+ territory, but now im just going to do the daily legendary contracts, maybe a hour of freeplay for the legionare quest or whatever (need 100 freeplay events) until they add some more, fix the loot situation.

I like the game, I really do like the mech play. They all have a different feel to them from the quick lighting fast interceptor, to the lumbering heavy titan. I also like the loot system, although limited right now until they fix it.

Here is my take on the good and the bad... Some of the bad are minor things, but they are annoying...

Things I like:

The loot
You get more powerful, unlike other games that scale shit to your overall power
The mechs (javlins) feel good from the sounds, the movement, etc..
Upscale content is challenging
God roll gear is actually god roll, some shit just makes you OP as fuck
Matchmaking for activities is good, although sometimes it puts you in unbalanced groups (ie: 4 interceptors)
World design is cool, it has scale, it has the z axis this sort of game needs.
The 3 strongholds are cool (they need more)
Combat is fun

Things I do not like:

No character sheet
Lacking descriptions on shit
World needs to vary more, too samey, there needs to be shit like deserts, volcanic places, etc... (maybe they will add new areas with dlc?)
Gear has shit inscriptions that have nothing to do with the gear itself (I guess its being addressed)
Shit drop rates on good shit (they need to find right balance, and sat and sun last week is not it (I should not be getting whites greens and blues in GM1)
Broken missions
Too many loading screens (after you hit 30, fort Tarsis should be optional for the roleplayers wanting to talk to people, missions, strongholds, and contracts should be available in launch bay that has shorter load times)
Ability to switch gear wile you are in game (matchmaking with randoms sometimes the skills you choose is not right, Ie: 2 ice storms and you have a flamethrower with no way to change it)
Sound bug needs to be fixed ASAP
Quick play is broken (loads you 90% into broken missions, see point above)
Map needs way points
Free play needs more than 4 peeps IMO
Events in free play need to show up on map once triggered, or are about to (maybe change event system not to be triggered by someone flying by, but on a timer? I like how Destiny 2 does this, they show a timer countdown to start of event on map)

Item menu needs ability to dismantle items en masse (ie: delete all blues)
Ability to delete items from inventory screen (ie: delete those whites I picked up)
GM2 and GM3 need their own loot pool (masterwork+1? Legendary +1?, etc...) Then add more GM levels as time goes on, there is no incentive or reason to do GM2 or GM3 right now.
Ability to filter for names in friends list in game
PC needs text chat ASAP ( I dont understand why this is not a given this day and age)

I was just about to post how i hate not being able to pause and see my javelins equipped shit

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Do you ever get to see your actual character outside of the javelin? Just seems odd that we picked a face during 'character creation' when neither you nor anyone else actually sees you outside the suit.

there are a few cutscenes where you will lift up the visor on your javelin. unless you are wearing a legion of dawn helmet. because those weren't animated to move. they might be working on that?