Bioware's "Anthem"

Woffer

Lord Nagafen Raider
Demo was/is fun. Plenty buggy though. Did the strong hold 4 times but only completed it once. 2 times the server disconnected, one time one of the shards was lost in the scorpion room when one of my group disconnected.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Apparently yesterdays Shaper Storm was just a teaser. From the Producer:

A couple people asked so I’m going to clarify. That thing today was shaper technology STARTING to go off the rails. Weird things pop up, more dangerous creatures fill the lands...but oh...oh no, that was not the worst it gets.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Apparently yesterdays Shaper Storm was just a teaser. From the Producer:

I love how whoever that producer is, speaks like anyone gives a shit and we are all now hanging on baited breath to find out what happens next. Because I would guess 90% of this forum won't be playing past 10 hours or one month (Whatever they are subscribed too) and that goes for a majority of the gaming populace.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
One thing I do like about this a bit more than destiny is each of the "classes" plays pretty differently. A lot more diversity between the javelins than just your grenade and particle effect colors. The ults all seem very satisfying the bastions big gun is hella satisfying on that strong hold in the demo when all the lil scorpions are charging up the ramp. I racked up some hilarious kill counts. Also I had to learn to be more aggressive with the ult instead of holding it till the "perfect time" it recharges pretty rapidly so better to use it on any reasonable clump of mobs than trying to hold it.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I love how whoever that producer is, speaks like anyone gives a shit and we are all now hanging on baited breath to find out what happens next. Because I would guess 90% of this forum won't be playing past 10 hours or one month (Whatever they are subscribed too) and that goes for a majority of the gaming populace.

I played about 6 hours of the demo this weekend. I only really concentrated on the big mech and some on the iron man one. I can see easily getting 40-80 hours out of this game play wise to do the story/try different mechs and load outs. If I can get in that ball park the I feel like I got my monies worth. I don't know that this is going to be a long term play game but I see putting enough hours in to be worth while.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I played about 6 hours of the demo this weekend. I only really concentrated on the big mech and some on the iron man one. I can see easily getting 40-80 hours out of this game play wise to do the story/try different mechs and load outs. If I can get in that ball park the I feel like I got my monies worth. I don't know that this is going to be a long term play game but I see putting enough hours in to be worth while.

The nice thing is if you are playing on PC you can just basically get the 1 month premiere sub and you won't be out 60 either.

spronk

FPS noob
today is the last day to sign up for origin access basic for only $1 either inside the Origin client (best) or web
Origin

Make sure you immediately cancel your membership afterwards, otherwise you will be charged $4.99 on March 4th. Your membership will be good for 27 days even if you cancel, I just did it and could download all the vault games no problem and will get 10 hours of Anthem access on Feb 15th (in 11 days), I'm guessing that will be more than enough to decide if I want to play more or not. Even after the 10 hours I could upgrade to premiere ($14.99/mo) and get unlimited anthem access for a month or get 10% off anthem if I decide to just buy it for some bizarre reason.

The vault games on PC are pretty good, I might actually check out a few over the next few weeks. I saw Tyrant and Unravel 2

I don't see any such deal on xbox unfortunately, and Anthem kinda runs like ass on consoles right now anyways.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I did freeplay for the first time yesterday in order to see the shaper storm stuff and man, the world is absolutely empty. I hope this is just due to the beta but it was boring not having anything to fight. I feel like this is a legitimate concern.

Interceptor and Ranger were my favorite two suits but the Interceptor seemed pigeon holed into venom bomb + melee attack to really fuck shit up.

I could see playing this for a month or so but I couldn't get a single person to play it with me so I'll probably just pass on it for now. Hopefully it shapes up well, but if the world is that empty the masses are going to revolt.

Ladro

Anomaly
They should have called the last two weekends a beta and not a demo. Some of the concerns stem from an old build (8 weeks old now?) which at launch should have many of the QoL improvements people are complaining about. They intentionally crippled the client and I heard (need to find source) had an entire team stripping things out so it couldn't be datamined. That has to effect a lot of your game systems if you're trying to not show a lot.

The server issues and weird instancing shit that happened is probably a direct result of this. It felt more like a stress test of their backend than a peek at the game. Hard to say honestly. It could be a dumpster fire on launch, it could be okay, it could be awesome. We will find out on the 15th when all of the uber PC players get their hands on it for that week and people start beating the game.

I will get my monies worth and had a blast flying around with friends, even in the crippled client. My perspective is that derived value per dollar metric. $60 for 30-60 hours (assuming some form of longevity) isn't bad even if you stop playing for a year and come back like with The Division.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'm curious about the Premier membership. Do you retain full access to Anthem, or is it like XBox All Access where your ability to play goes away with the cycle of games, though there's an option to buy it for cheaper? I think I'll get a month out of the game, so buying into the membership on 2/15 sounds about right.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I don't recall anything ever being removed from the Origin Access vault. Doubt it will happen for the 1st party titles but wouldn't be surprised if third party options come and go over time due to contracts and whatnot.

spronk

FPS noob
I'm curious about the Premier membership. Do you retain full access to Anthem, or is it like XBox All Access where your ability to play goes away with the cycle of games, though there's an option to buy it for cheaper? I think I'll get a month out of the game, so buying into the membership on 2/15 sounds about right.

with both basic and premiere your access to the library goes away when your sub ends. For anthem it'll preserve your "save" (all server side anyways) so you can pick back up a few months or years later, although with GAAS games like this pretty much everything gets reset every year with xpacs anyways. origin does cloud saves so any other games you play that are SP should also keep your save forever.

ii don't think they have removed any third party games so far but yeah it'll probably happen at some point. most of these third party games are kinda proliferating everywhere though, especially on PC - twitch prime, epic store launch, origin access, etc.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
I could see playing this for a month or so but I couldn't get a single person to play it with me

Should have stopped by our Discord, we hit it pretty hard both weekends.

• 1Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, if there is one good thing to come out of Anthem it will be finding Origin Access vault. Few games on there I have been wanting to try so I already got my moneys worth.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
with both basic and premiere your access to the library goes away when your sub ends. For anthem it'll preserve your "save" (all server side anyways) so you can pick back up a few months or years later, although with GAAS games like this pretty much everything gets reset every year with xpacs anyways. origin does cloud saves so any other games you play that are SP should also keep your save forever.

ii don't think they have removed any third party games so far but yeah it'll probably happen at some point. most of these third party games are kinda proliferating everywhere though, especially on PC - twitch prime, epic store launch, origin access, etc.

Darkspore was removed. Not that anyone gave a shit.

darkspore.png

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
They should have called the last two weekends a beta and not a demo. Some of the concerns stem from an old build (8 weeks old now?) which at launch should have many of the QoL improvements people are complaining about. They intentionally crippled the client and I heard (need to find source) had an entire team stripping things out so it couldn't be datamined. That has to effect a lot of your game systems if you're trying to not show a lot.

The server issues and weird instancing shit that happened is probably a direct result of this. It felt more like a stress test of their backend than a peek at the game. Hard to say honestly. It could be a dumpster fire on launch, it could be okay, it could be awesome. We will find out on the 15th when all of the uber PC players get their hands on it for that week and people start beating the game.

I will get my monies worth and had a blast flying around with friends, even in the crippled client. My perspective is that derived value per dollar metric. $60 for 30-60 hours (assuming some form of longevity) isn't bad even if you stop playing for a year and come back like with The Division.

it was a sneak peek at the game but it was also very much a stress test. And clearly it is a stress test that was necessary for the game as there was some wonky stuff going on not unplayable but some oddities. But it seems like from my friend who played the VIP demo weekend stuff went way smoother this go round I only had one hard server disconect and once I figured out how to tweak the mouse keyboard sensitivity stuff that got pretty reasonable control wise other than the weirdness that is initial entry into water.