Bioware's "Anthem"

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The whole woke shit needs to be rooted out of gaming. Its ruining company after company.

Stop acting like the game sucks because Bioware is hiring trans devs and start acting like the game sucks because of old white men making shitty gameplay decisions. Jon Warner, Mike Gamble, Ben Irving, Leonard Quam. These are the people responsible and none of them were woke diversity hires.

Last edited:
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
This game was dead on launch. I mentioned the other day to a buddy to buy a new gfx card to get a free game and he said that he got Anthem for his and I didnt stop laughing for a minute.

The alpha/beta was such fucking shit, this is absolutely no fucking surprise. This isnt covids fault and its funny they thought it should be brought up. Bunch of pure shit from the start and it was never going to get better.

Cybsled

This is rather disappointing, but expected after seeing their last Q&A sessions for the game. They were focused too heavily on diversity and equality rather than the game itself. Hopefully (But no probable) they sell the IP to another company because the combat was fun.

That had nothing to do with it. Platitudes and virtue signaling are cheap. Redoing a game from the ground up is expensive. You can throw out a bunch of feel good stories to pad and distract from the fact of what the actual game situation is.

EA presumably didn’t see enough projected ROI given the time table expected, didn’t like what they saw for long term interest and profit driving, and decided to cut losses vs invest more.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Stop acting like the game sucks because Bioware is hiring trans devs and start acting like the game sucks because of old white men making shitty gameplay decisions. Jon Warner, Mike Gamble, Ben Irving, Leonard Quam. These are the people responsible and none of them were woke diversity hires.
I was speking in general terms, you sound pretty butthurt. Did some white old man touch you in the no-no place?

This is a fucking growing cancer in our society. Its 200% anti-free speech. And while no, the leadership behind this game probably arent woke(which probably does nothing but hand wave shit at a 10,000 ft view of it) Dont discount the influence of 100s and 100s of people that actually make the game content and writing for it. Bioware have been going this route for years now.

Now while this was not a problem in this game per say, like I said I was speaking in generalities, it is a growing cancer in not only games but the mass entertainment as well.

So yeah, it needs to be rooted out and exposed for the anti freedom shit it really is.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Remember when they called it Project Dylan because it would be remembered for generations?

Good times.

• 1Worf
  • 1Mother of God

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This game was dead on launch. I mentioned the other day to a buddy to buy a new gfx card to get a free game and he said that he got Anthem for his and I didnt stop laughing for a minute.

The alpha/beta was such fucking shit, this is absolutely no fucking surprise. This isnt covids fault and its funny they thought it should be brought up. Bunch of pure shit from the start and it was never going to get better.
The game was broken at a fundamental level from what I remember. Even the maths behind combat did not make sense when people started to pay closer attention. Oh and the 2 min load times, lul.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Remember when they called it Project Dylan because it would be remembered for generations?

Good times.
They might not be wrong.

The gameplay itself is not bad. The Colossus was one my favorite "Classes" in the Looter-Shooter era. Once you got somewhere, the actual combat was fun. But still, who the fuck thought it would be fun to fly and land and fly and land and fly and land and fly and... Also the world being "Constantly changing" but not ever really as an excuse to have really fucked up I mean diverse terrain to make you fly and land and fly and land and...? Being able to go from flying to underwater to flying again made great demo footage but real gameplay? Not so much. The story narrative was not unsalvageable but was borderline terrible, with Fake Vader and Land based Fake Star Wars and "Mechs of the Old Republic" and nothing about it really making sense at all when you thought about. Initial Itemization was so much MEH. I bought external SSDs for our XBoxes because of Anthem. /Sigh. So much potential here thrown in the trash.

Fake Edit: I forgot about how the math was broken completely and didn't matter. OMG. The shameless bastards.

"Remember when Bioware was so great?" "No Grandpa, I wasn't born yet."

Last edited:

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The game was broken at a fundamental level from what I remember. Even the maths behind combat did not make sense when people started to pay closer attention. Oh and the 2 min load times, lul.
My favorite was when the players realized item level was complete nonsense, and that the newbie gun was the best gun in the game by a country mile once your character's item level started increasing. Your displayed damage (including the actual damage numbers popping off) had nothing to do with the actual amount of damage you were doing, and was scaling inversely to your gear's level for some pieces.

The nice part for the company is that since this is a "Live service" game in 6 months when the servers are all shuttered they can memory hole the whole mess since nobody can play it.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
A big annoyance of mine for some reason was that the post match score screen was just a bunch of meaningless participation trophy’s. No damage numbers, kills, etc. I should have known the first time I saw that screen that it was a lost cause.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I thought the servers were already shut down. Guess it's only a matter of time.

• 2Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Didn't play it a lot, but remember the gameplay being pretty good.

All the forced slow motion walking out of your suit so you could talk to some asshole who's dialogue you were just going to skip anyways after every mission was annoying as fuck, though

Cybsled

Unless they've changed policy in the last 20 years, technically stuff marked down to a penny was supposed to just be thrown out. Most stores never did that and tossed it out on the floor so some kid thought they were getting an awesome deal, or they kept it on the floor until they needed the space and then they tossed it. Usually it was shit like old strategy guides for games no one bought. A game that requires online connection to servers that don't exist anymore fits with being marked at a penny.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Unless they've changed policy in the last 20 years, technically stuff marked down to a penny was supposed to just be thrown out. Most stores never did that and tossed it out on the floor so some kid thought they were getting an awesome deal, or they kept it on the floor until they needed the space and then they tossed it. Usually it was shit like old strategy guides for games no one bought. A game that requires online connection to servers that don't exist anymore fits with being marked at a penny.
Ya, the guy talks about some Kotaku article where a gamestop employee said just that. I picked up a Mass Effect Andromeda Steel Case edition bundled with a art of Mass Effect Andromeda book and a Prima Collectors Edition strategy guide for fucking 5 bucks. I imagine an employee was planning on purchasing that since it was squirreled away behind some plushy shit.

I thought the game was fun in small ass spurts, switching up between the three suits. No way I'd recommend anyone playing the game unless they really did buy it for a penny. They should have switched to Free 2 Play with heavy cash shop by now, anyways.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah this game, again like so many others, was rushed out the door with no end game and not a lot to do when you reached there. I think they had like 2-3 dungeons to grind out? But yeah the whole concept of cities and you being out of your suit was just janky as fuck, plus I remember the load times between being fucking atrocious as well. Then they had the "free roam" areas which only like 4? people could enter which was kinda like WTF? as well. I know this was probably because of the console crowd but still.

All they needed to do is make a new "city" area just like Destiny had/has that you can just zone into in your suits and do your business, pick up quests and fuck off back to playing the game. Then of course add in some more content which this game was sorely lacking.

Plus I remeber someone doing a deeper dive into the maths behind dmg and weapon calculations at the time and the shit was just all broken and didnt make sense. Oh and the devs were scrimps when it came to drops. I remember a few weekends when they let the loot rain down and the game was amazing. But then they would fix the drop rates again and then the people were disappointed bitching about it on forums and reddit at the time. There was still a whole shit ton of RNG involved in loot too so its not like you still didnt have to farm the shit.

But all in all the core gameplay in the suits was pretty fucking fun though. They nailed the heft of the different suits and it all felt and sounded so good. Too bad the rest of the 3/4 of the game was all jank.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
The mech gameplay/fighting and roaming wasnt bad at all, just literally everything else sucked.

Had potential if it wasn’t for shitty devs and being an insanely rushed product (after being in-developement for ages it seemed like).

• 1Solidarity

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
IIRC The game that we played was made in like 18 months after 5-6 years of various scrapped development cycles. So much of it was bullshit, though.

The world sucked because someone was married to the idea of traversing environments, and you had to have all of these different environment types in small compact spaces, and therefore you had to limit player travel so they see all of this diversity: Such horseshit. You could only fly so far so I can see what the fuck terrain you generated? THE WORLD IS EVER-CHANGING or what the fuck ever they made the story out to be so you can get stoned and put mountains next to underground water tunnels? Someone wants to copy the Prequels? WTF is this shit. It looks cool in the trailer but added so little to the game.

The story wasn't bad per se but so...meh. It's actually not terrible given how poorly optimized the coding of the game was. Shades of diversity but I didn't have a huge problem with it that I recall and I am hypersensitive to the BS. Its been a while, now, and I may just have blotted out whatever that was there.

The combat was really fun, I super enjoyed the Colossus but when someone found out the math was all fucked and the most damaging weapon was your starter pistol because of how they implemented scaling? Come the fuck on. YOUR ENTIRE GAME IS LITERALLY BUILT ON MATH LIES.

I went out and bought external drives for my Xboxes so my kids and I could play it without the long loading times. They weren't bad investments, I still use them with my XSXs today but known that the game was only really developed in the last 18 months before launch, all of the above is to be expected.

There have been bigger disappointments, Star Wars Galaxies, maybe? I am sure, and I am glad someone finally got their Ironman game but this and Andromeda were the end of Bioware as we knew it for sure.

• 2Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The mech gameplay/fighting and roaming wasnt bad at all, just literally everything else sucked.

Had potential if it wasn’t for shitty devs and being an insanely rushed product (after being in-developement for ages it seemed like).

Yea I loved the scout class game play. The combat was really fun and on occasion I'd load up just to run a dungeon.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, the weight of your character and impact of munitions... really haven't played very many games that did it so well. Just a shame that the rest sucked.

• 1Solidarity