Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020)

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean I'm not sure what people expected. Did you really think they'd just make the characters all interesting and powerful on their own without having to shit on everyone around them instead? Did people not watch the trailers? I think the surprise would have been if they had done that not that they didn't.

Goatface

wow, this is the 9pm and 9:30pm showings tonight at local Marquee on MXC screens
1581209546684.png

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How'd you click multiple bombs on minesweeper without losing?

• 5Worf
  • 4Like
Reactions: 8 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
if i remember correctly, the comic series with harley, poison ivy and catwoman did pretty decently?

which, basically means that it's not that men are turned off by stories with women as the main characters... it's that currently the well is SO POISONED that no one wants to go to it. my issue with this movie was never that it was a story about women. it was that it came across like it had no respect for the source material. margot does a pretty decent harley, but everything else is clearly a diversity hire. black canary went from being a blonde bombshell to a smollett. cassandra cain is now a chubby asain.

listen, i get the writers want to make an original story and that means making characters that fit the narrative... i don't have a problem with that. just make a new IP. itsallsotiresome.jpg
these corporations want you to go see their movies and watch your favorite comic book heroes on the silver screen. but they also know that all those favorite comic book heroes are mostly white and a mostly white audience wants to see them. somebody in marketing said, hey guys, these movies are really expensive to make and the white market is diminishing in size and other minorities are taking their place. we need to tweak our IPs to reflect that growing demo. so far thats understandable. i wouldnt care if they made black and hispanic superheroes, nobody gives a fuck about that. but these corporations spent a lot of money to buy those established and beloved IPs.

the beancounters will say, wait, you paid how many billions for this and you want superheroes that nobody ever heard of? you better make thse current characters fit that demo so we can justify these purchases. thats why MJ is a mongoloid and Black Canary is a homeless person. its also why Thor is a fat retard and Hulk is a green pussy. if they were full power then they would overshadow the "diverse" they added in the first place. they never factored in how much they were alienating the established fan bases of those IPs with all these drastic changes. with Star Wars, it completetly destroyed the IP . now its poison to old fans and there arent enough new fans to take their place. most young people have no interest in Star Wars because dad or mom were told to fuck off. its going to get worse and worse til these characters are unrecognizable and the superhero bubble bursts. if it hasnt already started happening.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Any Batman or joker appearances or at least references in this? (Assuming one of you actually saw this)

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Okay, I had nothing going on tonight, so I bit the bullet and decided to go see this, and it was ... actually reasonably fun. Definitely worlds better then Suicide Squad, and better than the bland-as-fuck trailers portray it. The movie's seriously carried by Harley and Black Mask, with the others mostly just sorta being there for most of the movie, but they ended up being enough to feel entertaining. High Art this isn't, but fuck it, I don't regret the ticket price.

spronk

FPS noob
Any Batman or joker appearances or at least references in this? (Assuming one of you actually saw this)

the hyena in the trailers is named Bruce

never see em but they are both referenced quite a bit, the movie opens with an animated sequence that goes into the story of how Harley and Joker broke up and its kinda weird. Movie definitely struggles with "we want this to be about Harley so lets try to avoid talking about Batman or Joker too much"

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
From the reddit apologists:
$81M World-wide opening and we're complaining? It seems more like the other DC movies hilariously overperformed, this one did fairly well, its just that it didn't get that absurd bump.

"The others overperformed! This is the actual value studios should expect from these films!"
Uhhh... if this is the expectation then no more are getting made.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sevens

Log Wizard
God its annoying how stupid these feminists are. Why arent women supporting these movies? Why is on men to make sure they succeed? Shouldnt this movie bring out women in droves?
When they made a movie featuring a black super hero lead (Black Panther) you know damn well the black community came out in droves to support that movie. Guess women cant be fussed to do the same

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
At this point you just have to assume that there is going to be some offended feminists about literally anything that may or may not have men involved. Either paying for a ticket and seeing it, or subscribing to a service that may host it. You are only going to see outrage from a small segment of reality regarding it.

I suppose I should watch Suicide Squad just to get a frame of reference, but it seems like this is targeted at a subset of an audience that liked a movie that was generally panned? Not really sure why any of this is a 'surprise.'

Sterling

El Presidente
At this point you just have to assume that there is going to be some offended feminists about literally anything that may or may not have men involved. Either paying for a ticket and seeing it, or subscribing to a service that may host it. You are only going to see outrage from a small segment of reality regarding it.

I suppose I should watch Suicide Squad just to get a frame of reference, but it seems like this is targeted at a subset of an audience that liked a movie that was generally panned? Not really sure why any of this is a 'surprise.'
Suicide Squad is probably the worst of the DC movies. Worse than BvS even. At least that movie had Cavil going for it, and some actual cool individual moments/scenes even if overall it was a shitty mess. Suicide Squad has none of those scenes/moments.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users