Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I was reading some on this today. They recently passed the Ethereum improvement request to change up how gas fees worked (lowering them) and turn Ethereum into a deflationary currency (it's currently inflationary) and those were both seen as really good things for the users of the currency. Unfortunately it also meant miners losing up to 25% of their income from the change. Subsequently a lot of miners are supposedly planning a "show of force' to show they could all pile into ONE mining group and end up with over 50% of the mining under one control. That could effectively be used to destroy Ethereum. It was their way, apparently to threaten the ETH community into rethinking the EIR. Instead ETH is looking at a way to accelerate the move to ETH2.0 and eliminate mining alltogether faster now. Meaning the effective ETH2.0 time frame could be months now rather than years..

It's a lot of drama apparently.

I read about that, didn't see the ETH developers response.

Making the change quicker and not backing down is the perfect response imo.

Fuck miners

I've been wondering about all these big players (Tesla, Hedgefunds, etc.) investing heavily into BitCoin and other cryptos. What sort of security do they have in place for this? The reason I ask is that unlike regular stocks, bonds and other "traditional" assets, where you have a century or more of security procedures and infrastructure to make sure a disgruntled CFO doesn't buy a one way ticket to Brazil and fly off after transferring all the company money to his personal account, this does not seem to be the case with cryptos.

By that, I mean, the big players still use the same anonymous protocols, programs and exchanges as us plebs use, right? So, let's take Tesla for example. Do they have only one wallet with $1.5 Billion on it, or do they have multiple wallets, each with different passwords? Is only one guy in charge of the accounts or are there multiple people? Is the password written down on a piece of paper on the CFO's desk, or is the password split into three parts that three people know (one per part) to make sure no one person can muck about? Do they do their transactions on their regular work computer or is there a special computer in a locked room that is unplugged from the net except when transactions are made?

OK, I know some of this is a bit far out, but I've just been wondering what sort of things they might deal with since it seems to me it's far, far easier for some CFO to fuck off with the entire crypto stash and then disappear than to do the same with stocks and bonds.

Also... anyone know if something like that has happened? A company or hedgefund loosing a ton of crypto due to lax security?

That's all about internal controls, and will vary from company to company.

Having a billion in BTC I would think they have some pretty serious internal controls

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I've been wondering about all these big players (Tesla, Hedgefunds, etc.) investing heavily into BitCoin and other cryptos. What sort of security do they have in place for this? The reason I ask is that unlike regular stocks, bonds and other "traditional" assets, where you have a century or more of security procedures and infrastructure to make sure a disgruntled CFO doesn't buy a one way ticket to Brazil and fly off after transferring all the company money to his personal account, this does not seem to be the case with cryptos.

By that, I mean, the big players still use the same anonymous protocols, programs and exchanges as us plebs use, right? So, let's take Tesla for example. Do they have only one wallet with $1.5 Billion on it, or do they have multiple wallets, each with different passwords? Is only one guy in charge of the accounts or are there multiple people? Is the password written down on a piece of paper on the CFO's desk, or is the password split into three parts that three people know (one per part) to make sure no one person can muck about? Do they do their transactions on their regular work computer or is there a special computer in a locked room that is unplugged from the net except when transactions are made?

OK, I know some of this is a bit far out, but I've just been wondering what sort of things they might deal with since it seems to me it's far, far easier for some CFO to fuck off with the entire crypto stash and then disappear than to do the same with stocks and bonds.

Also... anyone know if something like that has happened? A company or hedgefund loosing a ton of crypto due to lax security?

Well, there are a lot of companies that do hold valuable physical assets. Maybe something like a physical safe backed up by double magnetic seal locking doors that you'd only be able to bypass by getting the feds to cut power to the building. It's pretty standard stuff, and the only way to really keep things like bearer bonds secure. I remember seeing one of these setups a long time ago when I was at a company xmas party with my ex.

But seriously, large corporations like that do have secured environments with multiple access controls for things like a cold wallet. I even know a of couple data centers here in Dallas that have specialized spaces available for "high security digital assets" if they wanted to store them that way. Although I can't imagine them not putting them on cold wallets and in a safe, probably with multiple user auth required for use. If it were me then the cold storage wallet would be stored in a lock cabinet in the company safe. The box requiring fingerprints and a physical token fob (think Ubikey) from at least 2 of 5 known people to open it. (CEO, CFO, Chairman of board, etc...). Even built into almost every wallet you could always take your seed phrase, break the 24 words up into chunks of 8, and trust each chunk to a different exec/board member.

With that said I can also imagine a point in the future where we'll see a multi-billion dollar crypto heist happen because the CEO didn't want to hassle with having his phone around for MFA on the company coinbase account....

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You'd be a fool to keep it all in one wallet address. Bitcoin wallets are vulnerable to brute force attacks and it's only because there are an astronomical number of combinations that addresses are secure. If you have even 8 or 16 of the words, that lowers the amount of seed phrase words you need to brute force dramatically.

It's one of Bitcoin's fundamental strengths and weaknesses at the same time: anyone that has (or reconstructs) a seed phrase has full access to that wallet anywhere in the world.

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I believe most big institutions are using custodial services from companies like Coinbase.

Watched this video the other day and thought I would share. Pretty good overview on the "why" regarding Bitcoin in language that may be more digestible for some. The ship is sinking

Analogy starts at 1:35

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I believe most big institutions are using custodial services from companies like Coinbase.

Watched this video the other day and thought I would share. Pretty good overview on the "why" regarding Bitcoin in language that may be more digestible for some. The ship is sinking

Analogy starts at 1:35

This guy is fucking nuts. I like him.

• 1Solidarity

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
ADA getting listed on coinbase pro this week.
Do we have a day?

I find it most interesting that Cardano is releasing the design ETH wants to pivot towards. Why not just adopt the new guy doing the better thing than the old guy trying to do the better thing? This is an industry of early adopters.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Do we have a day?

I find it most interesting that Cardano is releasing the design ETH wants to pivot towards. Why not just adopt the new guy doing the better thing than the old guy trying to do the better thing? This is an industry of early adopters.

Market cap and inertia

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Do we have a day?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Big BTC volume spike right at market close. Interesting. Hopefully we get back to climbing the right direction starting tomorrow.

Caliane

yeah, came to post the Ada on coinbase news.

you can transfer to it now. but, buy on the 18th.

Ada is pared with BTC, USD, EUR, and GBP on it.

When was that posted? is that why ADA shot up today at 1pm?

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
My ADA and $Link have both exceeded expectations today. I've been routinely selling $LINK for a few hundred profit each time and waiting to buy on the dip. I have a feeling at some point it isn't going to dip again, but right now i'm Mr. Dip. I've got all my ADA staked so there isn't much I can do with it.

BAT also has been a mover today, I was thinking about buying a few weeks ago, but hate the name.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
My ADA and $Link have both exceeded expectations today. I've been routinely selling $LINK for a few hundred profit each time and waiting to buy on the dip. I have a feeling at some point it isn't going to dip again, but right now i'm Mr. Dip. I've got all my ADA staked so there isn't much I can do with it.

BAT also has been a mover today, I was thinking about buying a few weeks ago, but hate the name.
Don't buy BAT, use Secure, Fast & Private Web Browser with Adblocker | Brave Browser and earn it. Bonus points for a significantly more secure and privacy protecting browsing experience.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Louis

Trakanon Raider

Grayscale announced trusts on all of those today which caused the bump. Along with the coinbase news for ada.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Jim Cramer just endorsed BTC- has he done this before (I don't really follow Cramer)?

fris

Vyemm Raider
About a month ago he said that he bought some, and sold half when it doubled, and staying in with house money

Dunno if that was an endorsement or just admition that he's playing in the space