Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Diversification is technically smart. Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong with ETH and BTC, however you split it. The other coins... I'm not so sure about. I think those are much more a straight gamble. I'm personally going to defy conventional wisdom and go balls deep in ETH with a little bit in VET- that's it.

My objective is to get 10 ETH and just sit on it for a long time. Hopefully stake it at some point for a regular passive income.
How much money do you expect to make off staking 10 ETH? Let’s just assume for instance ETH got up to $5000 a coin.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I can barely hang on to this crazy train!

Capture.PNG

• 1To the Moon!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
My one GPU does 51 mh/s. That was worth $100 in mining about 16-20 hours a day from March 10th to last night.

So you’d probably be about on the same track as me. Not bad really for the small amount of power used.

What was your net on that $100?

[edit] I've got another PC with a couple more 1070's in it I can power up at a different source.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
What was your net on that $100?

[edit] I've got another PC with a couple more 1070's in it I can power up at a different source.

I’m assuming like 50 cents of power a day based on the kw/h that gminer spits out and what I pay for power. So probably somewhere around $90-85.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
How much money do you expect to make off staking 10 ETH? Let’s just assume for instance ETH got up to $5000 a coin.
Current rewards for staking look like they're around 7.5-8.5% APR. Above numbers that comes out to ~$4k/yr. Paid in ETH so that would vary with price fluctuations

• 2Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I’m at $150 in BTC from nicehash. Very interested how this turns out. It’s mainly play money for me at this point anyways. Wishing you big success!!

UNSURPRISING FAIL. 🤪

It looks like my $100 made me about $62 of Ethereum. It was probably not wise to play it out at unlimited speed. In other news, it would be cool to be mining 10 gh/s on my own!

I’m going to try it again for $100 and bot managed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Current rewards for staking look like they're around 7.5-8.5% APR. Above numbers that comes out to ~$4k/yr. Paid in ETH so that would vary with price fluctuations

You beat me to the math, but yeah. You also have to factor in taxes so reduce that by ~20%.

But I'm not staking until the conversion of ETH 2.0 is done. After this July, I expect the price of ETH to go way, way up. I also expect the rewards for staking to go up as ETH moves to full PoS . I think it's totally reasonably ETH gets to 100k a coin with staking rewards at about 10% within the next couple of years. If you think that seems high, look at BTC and consider ETH has been significantly outperforming BTC for more than a year- and that's BEFORE the ETH 2.0 changes, when ETH becomes much more scarce and much more valuable (see recent posts about ETH PoS).

If you go with the nice round figure of 100k per ETH and 10% staking within a couple years, you would be looking at roughly 100k in passive income per year if you have 10 ETH. Take 20% for taxes and you're looking at ~80k per year, paid out monthly at around $6,700/month, after taxes. Even factoring in additional taxes or lower staking rewards, you are looking at a sick amount of passive income per month.

A lot of people much smarter than me think that ETH will be worth significantly more than 100k per ETH over the next few years. As ETH goes up, your monthly passive income goes up. The numbers are understandably difficult for a lot of people to grasp, but really if you look at how BTC has performed, you already have a prototype for what to expect from ETH. And honestly, I expect way more from ETH than from BTC for lots of reasons already discussed. Literally, EVERYTHING is being built on ETH (look at the recent Visa news).

If DeFi actually gets adopted by a large percentage of the world (which seems very possible to me), ETH at 1 mil per coin isn't unreasonable. If that were to happen, your 10 ETH would suddenly be worth 1 mil a YEAR in passive income (at a 10% stake rate).

Again, the numbers and timeline is probably a little optimistic, but not outlandish imo.

Caliane

pretty sure the rewards for staking will only go down. the more people that stake, the less rewards.

5% is still more then zero. and adds an element of compounding, and constant "growth" even if the market drops. Something BTC, etc, does not have.

eth at 1million.. woah.. calm down. the marketcap for that would be.. insane. the USD would have to turn into zimbabwee dolleredoos for that to happen.
Currently at near 250k market cap, for 2k Eth.

gold is at about 10trillion markget cap. if Eth were to replace gold today, it'd need to 40x its price. 80,000eth.
So even 100k Eth would mean 11.5 trillion marketcap. (115.3Million supply)

its not.. impossible. but even 100k is some time away.

1m Eth would be... 11.5quadrillion market cap?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
ETH does not have a static max supply. I know that EIP-1559 has the potential to turn issuance negative, but 100k+ ETH still seems pretty wild to me. I can see a case for pretty insane BTC prices, other coins are harder for me to do this with. Not impossible though I suppose

1617387413451.png

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, ETH isn't BTC. The moonshot prices of BTC are bc "Bitcoin is gold".

If ETH is oil you're looking at a completely different kind of commodity with a completely different market cap.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, ETH isn't BTC. The moonshot prices of BTC are bc "Bitcoin is gold".

If ETH is oil you're looking at a completely different kind of commodity with a completely different market cap.
Certainly seems as BTC moves, so will ETH. Not near BTC levels imo, especially with the market cap. I don't think 20k-50k in the next 10 years is out of reach though. If BTC hits 100k at any point i'd assume ETH to be 10% of that (10k).

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's not just that 1559 has the chance to turn issuance negative, but it also significantly incentivizes people to hold on to ether rather than sell it. The combination of factors that was laid out previously in this thread means people are absolutely going to be hoarding ETH.

Again, the oil analogy isn't perfect, but if you look at how much the price of oil went up from the early days to when it was being used ubiquitously by pretty much every nation, you are talking about an increase many magnitudes higher than what it would take to bring ether to $100,000.

But even if $100,000 is optimistic, and even if ether falls significantly short of that and in a few years is only worth $25,000 or so, then you were only making 2,000 a month in passive income rather than $6,700... That's not a bad problem to have. I sure as shit could use an extra 2000 a month for doing nothing.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
So for shits and giggles I threw another $95 of bitcoin at Nicehash's hash power marketplace. This time I used the "standard" instead of "fixed" option at a bit of a lower price for about 2.5 hours of mining at what appears to be 9 to 10 gigahash / second. The first attempt cost me $100 for about 1.6 hours or something.

This time I made $115 for a $20 profit . Not bad, I guess. Still a gamble I'm sure. Doubt it's better than simply buying eth in the long run, but that's a very small sample. I would say avoid in almost all cases (but that was pretty widely known anyway, I'm simply a glutton for punishment and like to play with things.)

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Well boys, I took the plunge. Bought $5k worth of BTC the other day at $58K and change. I'm still salty I didn't buy some in back in September when it was at $10K.

My plan is to just hold onto it. I figure that cash is just sitting around right now, so it's better than regular $$$ since that is guaranteed to lose 2-3%/year when things are going well. Now, with the money machine stripping bearings with all of the bbrrrrrrrrr going on, I'll be ahead (less behind?) of the game as long as BTC doesn't crater over the long term.

/crosses fingers
Pls no Elon Musk neg tweet

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
JFC, I need to buy back in ETH but the shit won't stop going up. Worst time in the world for me for it to go parabolic.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
JFC, I need to buy back in ETH but the shit won't stop going up. Worst time in the world for me for it to go parabolic.

3 day trading break for the market, I think a lot of bored people are just ramming it up. I suspect it'll go back down Monday - Tuesday some.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
As long as it doesn't dip back down under 2k it should hit 3k next month. At least that's what I'm hoping for.