Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that figures. I've kept track of my trades, luckily. So I can get a calculator and go run the numbers once I figure all of this out.

It's gonna be a massive pain in the ass, yes.

Right now I'm moving a bunch of BTC to Eth. Gonna stick to that rather than selling until I work everything out.

Your broker should provide all the end-of-year data. You just need to keep up with it so you know what the bill will be.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that figures. I've kept track of my trades, luckily. So I can get a calculator and go run the numbers once I figure all of this out.

It's gonna be a massive pain in the ass, yes.

Right now I'm moving a bunch of BTC to Eth. Gonna stick to that rather than selling until I work everything out.

Talk to an accountant and have a plan.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just discovered Coinbase actually does charge fees for converting from one coin to another. When you buy in or out it charges you fees, and it actually tells you (generally about 3%, I think). When you exchange, it charges you 2% and doesn't tell you. Was in for a surprise when I suddenly had $1960 instead of $2000 in the new one I moved it to.

Welp, that does it, I'm going full Binance in the future. What's the least-fleecy way to get your money out of Coinbase and onto another platform?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Same. I moved everything to binancetjat it supports. Had maybe 500$ in coins on coinbase not supported on binance that i just left to do whatever.

I know it doesnt matter but i emailed their support to state why i moved and recommended they get more competitive because they do have a decent platform, especially for new users. Ohhh well.

I also transfered maybe 500$ of random coins to Nexo(the lending platform). They claim interest rates, in the coin you store, at rates that seem too good to be true. Especially for coins that are otherwise idle. Ill report back in 10-30 days with my findings on if it is legit and worth it, but seems like NOT doing it would be stupid....assuming the platform isnt hacked or whatever to lose it all. They have all sorts of shit about being insured and your money is protected up to 375 million or something. Ill admit i didnt read all the fine print and this is mostly an experiment for now, but if its legit it just seems like there would be no other option for where to store coins they support.

• 1Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just discovered Coinbase actually does charge fees for converting from one coin to another. When you buy in or out it charges you fees, and it actually tells you (generally about 3%, I think). When you exchange, it charges you 2% and doesn't tell you. Was in for a surprise when I suddenly had $1960 instead of $2000 in the new one I moved it to.

Welp, that does it, I'm going full Binance in the future. What's the least-fleecy way to get your money out of Coinbase and onto another platform?

You can direct transfer from coinbase to binance. Depending on the coin the fee is super small or painful. For instance i moved about 1k in Cosmos for maybe 1$(In the cosmos coin). Important to note this fee was NOT coinbase or binance, but the system. I looked into moving my ETH but the “gas” charge was asinine, so i just left it there and bought again on binance.

Basically leave your coins on coinbase unless you want to cash out or daytrade. Otherwise just buy new stuff on binance and let the coinbase money sit there

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If any of you have wondered why places like NY are so anal about having the exchanges get all sorts of info from you, it isnt because they like or care about you. Its because they are going to tax you. If you have been reaping gains in crypto without factoring in paying taxes on the gains I offer my thoughts and prayers.

1618143635156.png

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If any of you have wondered why places like NY are so anal about having the exchanges get all sorts of info from you, it isnt because they like or care about you. Its because they are going to tax you. If you have been reaping gains in crypto without factoring in paying taxes on the gains I offer my thoughts and prayers.

View attachment 347475

So in theory this won't apply in a place with no capital gains tax (like Florida IIRC).

In other words, don't be in NY or CA if you're going to be a heavy crypto fiend, be in FL or a comparable state?

Just another thing to add to the growing list of reasons to move to FL!

Also, the good news in all of this is that I tend to lean more towards diamond-handsing and my rate of trades is probably lower than average. Wasn't until like the past week that I really did any swing trading.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Huuuuuge spike this morning in a few things. ADA went from 1.22 to 1.29 and MANA went from 1.02 to 1.15 (ATH I think). Unfortunately the spike only lasted for a very short time, so I missed it.

9 AM spikes seem pretty common in crypto, even on weekends.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So in theory this won't apply in a place with no capital gains tax (like Florida IIRC).

In other words, don't be in NY or CA if you're going to be a heavy crypto fiend, be in FL or a comparable state?

Just another thing to add to the growing list of reasons to move to FL!

Also, the good news in all of this is that I tend to lean more towards diamond-handsing and my rate of trades is probably lower than average. Wasn't until like the past week that I really did any swing trading.
You are only speaking about State Income taxes. The IRS can't be avoided.

Fadaar

That guy
Need everything to tank overnight so I can buy low when the rest of my cash transfers over in the morning

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Because investing in an echo chamber is usually a bad idea. An alternative view..

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Yeah. It seems like a lot of the pundits are describing a big run up then a massive sell off, but later in the year. I’d love to be able to run up some big numbers then buy back in lower.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Because investing in an echo chamber is usually a bad idea. An alternative view..

I see what they're trying to point at with this...

But my question would be why he's choosing to base his triangle off the Feb low rather than the later March low. Using the march low his triangle goes up to a point in time somewhere in June and with a price point somewhere north of $70k, AND then the current trend would still be in the "pennant" Also, I'm curious as to anchor points for his parabolic curve. The left point, if he's using the Feb low, should BE the Feb Low and not further back. If you do that then the steepness of the up and downtrends on that curve would have crossed his dotted line , but SOONER. Meaning the current price would be breaking north of his curve already, somewhat disproving his hypothesis on the trend. Now, I could be insane, that has to be taken into account here. I'll tinker with this when I get somewhere I can do some chart play.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
What I meant about the ascending pendant. Trying to find a "parabolic curve" line tool on coinex....

1618177345380.png

Alternatively, take the ATH and the second place to it (yesterday), and it paints a consolidating triangle that says we're going to be sideway trading for the next 2 weeks...

1618177597871.png

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
From what I remember about stats, you can remove the outliers if they throw off projections etc.

Always wondered why we never see ppl doing that w/ investments. Tossing a few really high and really low periods can give you vastly different slopes.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As a general rule of trendlines, you are going to want the anchors to also coincide very high volume. The correlation of volume and the direction of the price action can be quite telling. A good volume / price indicator would be high volume buying into strength and much lower volume on the sell offs. This is showing there is more buying demand and little selling action... a bullish indicator.

If it goes the other way around, that increased volume to the downside can lead to accellerated declines. (Everyone running for the exits)

Volume is key when analyzing these charts (same goes for any stock).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
What's going on with Binance coin? I was planning to look into BNB tomorrow now that I'm all-in with Binance. I hope it didn't just explode without me.
Binance has essentially copy and pasted Ethereum and a number of Defi projects have been copied over to the Binance chain. As such people can access the 'Defi' products on this chain with significantly lower fees. The fee's are lower because the Binance chain is in no way decentralized. Binance is making a killing by basically stealing development from Ethereum and outperforming due to centralization.

I wouldn't expect this to last long term. There won't really be any innovation on the Binance chain, thats all going to happen in Ethereum, but they will keep copying so we'll see.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users