Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok, I just conducted a new experiment on Nexo because something seems wrong and to good to be true. It's my experience these things that seem that way obviously are that way.

Anyway, I moved about 500$ worth of stellar lumins, 500$ of USDC, and then bought enough nexo to move me to the "Platinum tier" on the service(cost about 40$, but minimum purchase was 100$ so I'm "above" platinum now). Platinum requires that 10% of your portfolio is Nexo coin, a bit high, but whatever, this is a fun experiment...

So why did I do the above? I can confirm that as of my last post, I sure enough did collect my daily interest in the stellar lumins and USDC, obviously with so little in the account I'm not ready to retire, but my coin balance for both did update, so far so good! I was collecting 4% on the Stellar and 8% on the USDC

Once you are platinum you get:
  • 5% on crypto(stellar) so nice 1% bump
  • 10% on stable coins(of which USDC is one), so 2% bump there

Now comes the part I read, re-read, and checked the fine print on....my "loan" rate drops from 11.9% to 5.9%. So I'm thinking....what? I can take a loan at 5.9%, get it all in USDC, and then earn 10% on the USC? That can't be right.

So as a test I just took out a 50$ loan, small fries I know but I'm skeptical and figured I can pay it back instantly if something goes wrong. I just did this so I don't have any payments/numbers yet, but I can confirm that my USDC coins increased....so the amount I am earning interest on is now 550$ instead of 500$. Interesting.....

The trick seems to be that I needed enough Nexo in my account to get and keep platinum. This also wouldn't work with a true crypto since those only earn 5% interest, so it's only an option for the stablecoins. I also doubt it would be worthwhile at scale since the amount of Nexo you would need to do this on say, 10,000$ would probably be too high unless you count on the nexo coins going up or retaining their value, plus 4% profit is probably not as good as the USD(USDC) could do invested in another coin or any type of real market.

However it's a fun little experiment.

Not pitching the above strategy, just posting in case others are interested.

I also can't speak for if you should trust this platform with large amounts of money or for the long term, but I can 100% confirm that the coins I have on there are earning interest(in the same coin) on a daily basis, so that's pretty cool and seems better than letting them just sit around. Especially with coins I planned on holding long term like the lumins anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Binance has essentially copy and pasted Ethereum and a number of Defi projects have been copied over to the Binance chain. As such people can access the 'Defi' products on this chain with significantly lower fees. The fee's are lower because the Binance chain is in no way decentralized. Binance is making a killing by basically stealing development from Ethereum and outperforming due to centralization.

I wouldn't expect this to last long term. There won't really be any innovation on the Binance chain, thats all going to happen in Ethereum, but they will keep copying so we'll see.

There’s a lot to be said about stealing tech and outperforming. See: MSFT and AAPL.

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
There’s a lot to be said about stealing tech and outperforming. See: MSFT and AAPL.
There is an additional factor of centralization here as well though. ETH is (ostensibly) decentralized which is the biggest part of its appeal. If they're just going to recreate it and centralize it completely defeats the purpose. Blockchain is just a distributed database after all. Just shows how little folks understand this space still!

A lot of tendies to be collected while folks figure it out though.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Has anybody dabbled in liquidity pools on Uniswap yet? It looks tempting in terms of potential ROI APR, but something smells fucky about it....

Rais

Trakanon Raider
I went about 5k in on ADA about 3 weeks ago. Last week I decided to take it out and put it on a wallet and stake it. I have earned lik 400 ada. wtf?

1618265653257.png

• 1Like

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Do you remember the transaction cost to stake that much? I have 2k staked, but was thinking some more could be useful when it has a baby dipper.

Using AdaLite - Cardano Wallet myself via Trezor
I use DAEDALUS. I’ll check to see how much. I think it was like something small of 2ada. I don’t have access to my main pc. As soon as you do I’ll give you a heads up.

Caliane

That Binance coin is #3 in marketcap is more damning then Dogecoin making the top 10. (still #17)

xrp, bitcoin cash..

The company seems shady as fuck. manipulating markets etc. I would not trust I would be able to get my stuff out, if I ever need too.

if you want to gamble and take your wins where you can. can't argue.
But Binance coin is the precurser to McDonalds coin, or USACoin.

Everything is pumping atm.

at combined 85% ROI periodic invest since Jan.

• 1Solidarity

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
That Binance coin is #3 in marketcap is more damning then Dogecoin making the top 10. (still #17)

xrp, bitcoin cash..

The company seems shady as fuck. manipulating markets etc. I would not trust I would be able to get my stuff out, if I ever need too.

if you want to gamble and take your wins where you can. can't argue.
But Binance coin is the precurser to McDonalds coin, or USACoin.

Everything is pumping atm.

at combined 85% ROI periodic invest since Jan.

BNB, binance coin, has abit of staying power because they give discounts and incentives for holding certain levels of the coin on their platform. Funny, yes, but if binance stays the coin has some demand and holding power.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
BNB, binance coin, has abit of staying power because they give discounts and incentives for holding certain levels of the coin on their platform. Funny, yes, but if binance stays the coin has some demand and holding power.

I was reading about BNB and if I understood it correctly, a limited number of Binance Coin will exist, meaning the value in theory should reliably go up over time.

Coinbase IPO tomorrow is causing huge spikes today. Seems like today would be the day to sell, unless the spike is going to continue further through the IPO?

Edit: Talking about Bitcoin when I say today may be a day to sell

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

As I wrote in June 2011, Mike Caldwell — a Salt Lake City, Utah-based timekeeping software entrepreneur — bought $20,000 worth of bitcoin at an estimated 20 cents a pop. Four months later, he sold it for $3 million — a compound annual rate of return of 45,152%.

Caldwell could be kicking himself today for selling too soon. With Bitcoin trading at a record $62,732.30 on April 13, if he had held on to the 200,000 bitcoins he bought in February 2011, his stash would now be worth a whopping $12.5 billion — representing a 264% compound annual rate of return.

Their math is bad, by my count he bought 100,000 coins worth about $6 billion today. Sloppy, Forbes.

Either way...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Looks like I picked the right time to invest in Ethereum and VET. Thank you all for pushing them so hard, I wouldn’t have otherwise.

Now the question is paying attention to the valleys and peaks and knowing how to play them to sell / out buy back in.

How do you guys measure this against both taxes and fees? Is there a percentage up you look for before even thinking about it? I.E. is it worth it at 5 percent, or 10 percent, etc.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I'm not sure about Binance, but your trading fees on coinbase are dependent on how your orders are filled (maker or taker) and your rolling 30 day trade volume.

I also believe short term cap gains rate are dependent on your bracket. So basically, margins are really dependent on your personal situation.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Just wanted to drop in and congratulate the majority of people around here who woke up to portfolio ATH's today. ;)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure about Binance, but your trading fees on coinbase are dependent on how your orders are filled (maker or taker) and your rolling 30 day trade volume.

I also believe short term cap gains rate are dependent on your bracket. So basically, margins are really dependent on your personal situation.

Got it. 🤔 my taxes suck already. I really should get some consulting.