Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Once it got near my "above water" point of $1.60 I began to have some issues. I remember when I was up like 40% three days ago, now I'm....at baseline?

When it got down below that I flinched and moved it to USDC. I really don't want to. Wish I'd just done that yesterday when it was $2.10 and I had the same thought. Holding is generally the right move, though.

I have a pretty strong feeling I'll be able to buy back into it even lower soon with this weekend's going-out-of-business clearance fire sale, if things go the way they look like they'll go.
Nothing wrong with selling at your buy in point. Now that the market has re-dumped a bit I’m not convinced it’s gonna go a lot lower though. Holding for me. Would have liked to have caught that $1.42 but...

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
You can stake ALGO now on coinbase @ 6%, guess it's time to learn about another coin. Anyone have the short notes?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
So metamask vs myetherwallet

thoughts? I have metamask set up but haven't used it yet.

I set up a test ETH transfer to my metamask wallet on Coinbase of .25 ETH and the coinbase fees said $6.85, seems reasonable. Are there other gas fees I'm not aware of in this step?

Then I have to hook up uniswap to my metamask wallet and uniswap from ETH to TRU? Then I pay one gas fee?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So metamask vs myetherwallet

thoughts? I have metamask set up but haven't used it yet.

I set up a test ETH transfer to my metamask wallet on Coinbase of .25 ETH and the coinbase fees said $6.85, seems reasonable. Are there other gas fees I'm not aware of in this step?

Then I have to hook up uniswap to my metamask wallet and uniswap from ETH to TRU? Then I pay one gas fee?

I buy in Coinbase Pro ($5 fee). Transfer to Coinbase (Free). Transfer to my Coinbase Wallet (Free). Connect Coinbase Wallet to UniSwap and ETH to TRU ($40 fee).

Los_Necros

Trakanon Raider
Gas fee will be between $ 5 and $ 100+ depending when you do it. The more shit going on, the more you pay in gas. But, usually the shitstorms are when TRU is cheap. So, it depends how much you're buying. Right now, it's prob better to buy even if the gas fee is more... versus if you wait till TRU is .55 or .60 and gas fees are $ 5... so depends how much you're spending on gas to get it 15-20 cents cheaper.

Los_Necros

Trakanon Raider
Also depends if you had ETH at the start of the dropping. Since you use ETH to pay for as... so ETH is worth "less" right now than it will be tomorrow "probably".

ETH and TRU will go up/down at the same time. But, TRU prob has bigger swings at the moment.

Los_Necros

Trakanon Raider
One more thing to keep in mind when you are trying to turn ETH into TRU... leave some leftover ETH because the prices change and you need to account for that. Otherwise, you will get a failed transfer because the price changes and you cannot afford it anymore. Leave yourself $ 100-300 of ETH depending how much you're doing I guess.

I guess the transaction can also fail without it being your fault. I am fortunate to not have any fails eat up my gas fees yet.

If you're only buying $ 200-300 of TRU then you won't have to leave that much extra ETH, but you do have to leave some extra... but the gas fee would be a lot right now for $ 200 worth only lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Nothing wrong with selling at your buy in point. Now that the market has re-dumped a bit I’m not convinced it’s gonna go a lot lower though. Holding for me. Would have liked to have caught that $1.42 but...

I feel that. Too busy today to watch it religiously over time, but at this hour it seems to be stabilized just below where I sold. Think I'll take my mild gain and buy back in and leave it alone. Even though it might get another drop, paperhandsing is adding unnecessary stress. Forget the fire sale, I'm going to go back to hands-off. MATIC should be successful regardless of the market if the Eth gas fees continue to be a problem.

Also, just bought back into Ethereum at the exact same dollar amount, hands-off with it now. Obviously that money went down in MATIC so I'm treating it like a loan and taking the remainder out of my MATIC profits. Sux but it'll balance out. In other words I rebought Eth at $2450 or so with the exact amount of USD that I got for selling it at $3400. It's still down from my initial buy, but now at around $2900 it'll be worth as much as it was before at $4000, and everything after $2900 will be a gain on the initial amount, which feels pretty good.

For those keeping score, after subtracting the Eth loan from the rest of the profits, I may have adjusted back into Eth at a lower level, but overall I'm currently at about -11% on my initial MATIC investment (the baseline for profit is now around $1.75), down from +80% before I held through the crash. Interesting to contrast our two approaches to MATIC this week.

TL;DR: For crash-weathering purposes I'll profit on Eth when it goes back over $2900 and I'll profit on MATIC over $1.75 as I shifted my weight from one to the other. Whenever things go back to their previous numbers I'll be way up on Eth and a bit lower (less up) on MATIC. Not optimal, not terrible. Now I'm going back to hands-off mode except to buy more if we have a weekend fire sale.

Last edited:

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Uniswap will tell you if you don’t have enough for gas. It’s annoying bc it doesn’t just allocate accordingly.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I buy in Coinbase Pro ($5 fee). Transfer to Coinbase (Free). Transfer to my Coinbase Wallet (Free). Connect Coinbase Wallet to UniSwap and ETH to TRU ($40 fee).

What’s the move b/w Coinbase Pro and regular CB doing? Haven’t moved anything out of there yet to see the process.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Uniswap will tell you if you don’t have enough for gas. It’s annoying bc it doesn’t just allocate accordingly.

That's the main obstacle to me buying more TrueBit, besides gas fees. Already had one gas charge go nowhere. Why doesn't it just adjust? Nope, if there's any discrepancy, it just X's out the transaction and charges you for gas anyway. It's one of the most user-unfriendly things I've ever seen. I guess if you keep a real store of Eth you have a lot less to worry about, but if you're only buying what you need to convert to something else, you're set up for a fail.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What’s the move b/w Coinbase Pro and regular CB doing? Haven’t moved anything out of there yet to see the process.

Coinbase Pro has lower fees than regular Coinbase. So you can save quite a bit by making your purchases there, then transferring them to regular Coinbase at no charge.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
That's the main obstacle to me buying more TrueBit, besides gas fees. Already had one gas charge go nowhere. Why doesn't it just adjust? Nope, if there's any discrepancy, it just X's out the transaction and charges you for gas anyway. It's one of the most user-unfriendly things I've ever seen. I guess if you keep a real store of Eth you have a lot less to worry about, but if you're only buying what you need to convert to something else, you're set up for a fail.

That’s not my experience. Before you can proceed Coinbase Wallet makes you include enough for gas.

That sounds like a terrible feature native to whatever you’re using.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I guess I can be glad that I only lost 2.9k so far instead of the 29k I was originally going to lose.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Swapping between Coinbase and Coinbase Pro is free.

I get that but why do that rather than going from the Coinbase Pro wallet to Uniswap? Its probably obvious like you can’t actually do it with Pro but I am not in a place to look so am pestering you. Heh.