Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Renting NFTs will become much more common practice next year.

Like, renting video game NFT's, or renting someone's barbarian Curio Card?

Why rent what you can just screenshot?

Or is "renting NFT's" simply the next step in money laundering evolution?

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Actually the primary use right now is renting Cryptopunks for events as I understand it. I suspect we'll see the infrastructure proliferate.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Actually the primary use right now is renting Cryptopunks for events as I understand it. I suspect we'll see the infrastructure proliferate.

Like E3 or something where they would have to license material versus just copy/pasta’ing that shit?

Even so if there’s 3,000 cryptopunks there’s only going to be a handful that are owned by a media group who licenses them.

Regardless, there’s nothing special about this in regards to it being an NFT. Cryptopunks going viral is the only reason this would even happen.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Like, renting video game NFT's, or renting someone's barbarian Curio Card?

Why rent what you can just screenshot?

Or is "renting NFT's" simply the next step in money laundering evolution?
I’m gonna guess there’s one two Uber rich people who have done things like buy a NFT for millions from an anonymous person who totally isn’t them and them sell it to for pennies to another person who totally isn’t them. Whoops millions in losses IRS, sorry I’m so bad at crypto. Tax magic!

• 1Like
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I’m gonna guess there’s one two Uber rich people who have done things like buy a NFT for millions from an anonymous person who totally isn’t them and them sell it to for pennies to another person who totally isn’t them. Whoops millions in losses IRS, sorry I’m so bad at crypto. Tax magic!
Dear God! no one would launder money or commit tax evasion in New and completely unregulated markets!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Like E3 or something where they would have to license material versus just copy/pasta’ing that shit?

For example on basketball tickets, you would rent the NFT of the seat that it represents for any given event and use that as an access token. Can disable buys/sells/transfers of the token, automatically mint a new one if destroyed somehow and invalidate metadata of any outstanding NFTs if not destroyed. I don't know if that works on an arena level, but the concept is useful.

• 2Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Really good thread about how base money works internationally. Gives you an idea of what game Bitcoin is playing that other crypto's can't and aren't. If you don't know how money is created and how settlement works in the real world, you'll struggle to see why Bitcoin is so important. The need for Bitcoin is difficult to understand because you need to understand money and technology, and most people only know one or the other (or neither).

Edit: Spoilered some choice bits for those that don't want to click through.

Data breakdown

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Until someone builds an incredibly awesome game, genre-defining on the caliber of Magic the Gathering, I just don't see NFTs ever being as big as James thinks they will be.

Speaking of MTG, I found my old wallet with ~0.4 BTC in it from back when I traded/cashed out MTGO tix via BTC a few times in the early days.

• 1Diamond Hands
  • 1Like
  • 1Tendies
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
For example on basketball tickets, you would rent the NFT of the seat that it represents for any given event and use that as an access token. Can disable buys/sells/transfers of the token, automatically mint a new one if destroyed somehow and invalidate metadata of any outstanding NFTs if not destroyed. I don't know if that works on an arena level, but the concept is useful.
This is a great application for NFTs but do the venue owners/team owners want to let people do this?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Really good thread about how base money works internationally. Gives you an idea of what game Bitcoin is playing that other crypto's can't and aren't. If you don't know how money is created and how settlement works in the real world, you'll struggle to see why Bitcoin is so important. The need for Bitcoin is difficult to understand because you need to understand money and technology, and most people only know one or the other (or neither).

Edit: Spoilered some choice bits for those that don't want to click through.

Data breakdown
I strongly agree that the endgame for Bitcoin is to replace SWIFT and ACH up to and including the overnight settlement process. And the only way BTC won't eventually do it is if a very robust Fedcoin is created and adopted.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Until someone builds an incredibly awesome game, genre-defining on the caliber of Magic the Gathering, I just don't see NFTs ever being as big as James thinks they will be.

Speaking of MTG, I found my old wallet with ~0.4 BTC in it from back when I traded/cashed out MTGO tix via BTC a few times in the early days.

The real idea is someone creating an NFT platform that makes it easy for the likes of WotC to port their cards into.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The real idea is someone creating an NFT platform that makes it easy for the likes of WotC to port their cards into.
Right, but does WOTC want that to happen? MTGO has a player-driver economy, MTG Arena does not. MTG Arena makes WOTC a lot more money than MTGO does.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Skyweaver ( Skyweaver - A Trading Card Game from Another Dimension ) is the closest game in terms of similarity to Hearthstone/MTG that's in a decent state. It's in beta right now and getting close to a release. It's something I am keeping an eye on currently.
I'm not talking about making an MTG clone on the blockchain. Anyone can do that, and they'll crash and burn like most CCG clones, blockchain or not.

I'm saying until something TOTALLY NEW that can ONLY be implemented properly using NFTs comes out, they won't take off.

What NFTs enable for gaming is having truly unique items that can be tracked traded without the need for the transactions to be done on a central database server.

It seems useful for something like a very advanced Minecraft/Valheim type game where you could port creations and unique items, with real world value, between privately-hosted worlds.

And the only way these items get real world value is if the game is fun and 'sticky' enough for that kind of adoption.

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I'm saying until something TOTALLY NEW that can ONLY be implemented properly using NFTs comes out, they won't take off.
My best guess on this is some sort of metaverse that games can opt into where assets represented by NFTs are shared across multiple games. Imagine progress in one game being transferrable to another game for example. This could look very different on a per game basis but combining this with a p2p market that would run on the same chain could create some very strong incentives for both gamers and devs. It could also completely ruin gaming as it monetizes everything you do drastically changing incentive structures.

Its not hard to imagine an alternate economy where gaming achievements can be monetized and the amount of people that can make legitimate incomes in that space will grow, God help us.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Axie Infinity is the biggest blockchain game right now, but there are others e.g. Decentraland. Apart from that, however, NFTs are already huge and getting bigger every day, by the end of the year the NFT market will probably be bigger than the DeFi market, and we're nowhere near that yet. Claim there is no use case yet all you like and I will agree 100%, but that doesn't make NFTs not already valuable.

This is a great application for NFTs but do the venue owners/team owners want to let people do this?

Presumably the venue owners/team owners would be the ones who own the NFT of the seat in the first place, though auctioning/selling NFT seat mints to the public could be a great way to crowdfund a stadium. Mark Cuban is looking at moving ticketing for Maverick's games over to an NFT based system, I have no idea what direction he's taking or where it's at, though.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Another thing I think might be suppressing DeFi as a space right now is that there's a new "coolest thing to do" around which is sucking all the liquidity up. That being the current NFT craze. If you look at the volume that just OpenSea has done over the last month they've had around $1 Billion in transaction volume. That's speculative investing liquidity which ISN'T going into DeFi projects, and if anything is pulling money OUT of Defi to invest in NFTs. As we still haven't had the true "Mass adoption" event moment for Crypto as a whole you have to accept that there's a finite about of money in the pool. If NFT's crash/correct (which I suspect they eventually will due to oversaturation of offerings) I suspect part of that will flow back into DeFi as that's the place to store value and earn yields between speculations.

I've been watching Etherscan a lot recently just to move liquidity and collected fees around when gas is low, and yeah, OpenSea has been rank 1 on Gas guzzlers by a loooong shot.

• 1Truth!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My best guess on this is some sort of metaverse that games can opt into where assets represented by NFTs are shared across multiple games. Imagine progress in one game being transferrable to another game for example. This could look very different on a per game basis but combining this with a p2p market that would run on the same chain could create some very strong incentives for both gamers and devs. It could also completely ruin gaming as it monetizes everything you do drastically changing incentive structures.

Its not hard to imagine an alternate economy where gaming achievements can be monetized and the amount of people that can make legitimate incomes in that space will grow, God help us.
I have a lot of good ideas in this space but I don't want to give them away for free.

• 1Midwit
  • 1EyeRoll

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider

Sure, this seems like a pretty natural progression for using NFTs in games, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened in the very near future.

It will probably start with big game companies forming metaverses for just their own titles. I.e. you can transfer items/in game money from any EA game to any other EA game. Same with Blizzard, etc etc. But you wouldn't be able to transfer assets from an EA game to a Blizzard game.

• 1Like