Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I have a lot of good ideas in this space but I don't want to give them away for free.

Every retard has a good idea. Very few people have the skill and tenacity to make a good idea happen.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Every retard has a good idea. Very few people have the skill and tenacity to make a good idea happen.
I understand that completely, but given the eyes on this forum historically, there's still no benefit to just give away great ideas.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Sure, this seems like a pretty natural progression for using NFTs in games, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened in the very near future.

It will probably start with big game companies forming metaverses for just their own titles. I.e. you can transfer items/in game money from any EA game to any other EA game.
Why would EA want to do this? You buy a skin in one game, and can transfer it to another? Oh wait, Origin can already track that, but regardless, EA would rather sell you the same skin twice.

It won't be the existing big players in the industry, they have absolutely no motivation to adopt this technology. It'll be something that comes out of nowhere, like Minecraft did. Innovation never comes from the top-down.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Why would EA want to do this? You buy a skin in one game, and can transfer it to another? Oh wait, Origin can already track that, but regardless, EA would rather sell you the same skin twice.

It won't be the existing big players in the industry, they have absolutely no motivation to adopt this technology. It'll be something that comes out of nowhere, like Minecraft did. Innovation never comes from the top-down.

I actually don't disagree with you that it will be new innovators who start this trend (rather than the current big players). But the reason EA would want to do this is because, after another company starts the trend, they will be forced to get on board whether they like it or not. That's the beauty of capitalism.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I actually don't disagree with you that it will be new innovators who start this trend (rather than the current big players). But the reason EA would want to do this is because, after another company starts the trend, they will be forced to get on board whether they like it or not. That's the beauty of capitalism.
Your way of thinking doesn't make any sense here. It just doesn't make sense to port items or characters between different genres of games within a single company. What's an Apex Legends character or item going to do in FIFA?

Where it makes sense is building a decentralized MMO. An UnMMO.

Characters are NFTs, items are NFTs, castles, towns and maybe even entire worlds are NFTs. Independent server operators can run their own worlds, with their own rules, but players can travel across them. An operator has a popular world, but doesn't want to run it anymore? They could sell the world's token to someone else, who can then run the world on their own servers. Or they could break up the most popular locales within the server and sell them to multiple other operators.

Amazon, Microsoft, Google or maybe even Oracle could be interested in something like this, because they own cloud services, so they could sell capacity to independent server operators to run worlds on their cloud. Some kind of revenue sharing model could be adopted. You pay a sub fee to play the game, and Microsoft or whomever keeps 20% of the sub fees, and gets revenue from the server operators, but then the server operators get a portion of each player's sub fee based on the share of time that player spends in their world. Run a profitable enough world and you're making actual money off your world instead of just paying for the cloud hosting.

ROBLOX could also adopt a model like this.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
James, do you know anything about the NBA licensed video clips? assuming they are NFTs.

If you're talking about NBA's Top Shot, they are NFTs minted on the Flow blockchain created by Dapper Labs (CryptoKitties). I haven't looked into it much beyond that, but I understand that several of them are very valuable already, I just don't believe in the long term viability of non-Ethereum ecosystems.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I have an important news bulletin: Since Eth is above where I got in, I sold my remaining Eth and switched it to MATIC (which is still below where I got in) in an effort to bring that average down.

Eth sold at 3.2k (cost basis was 2.8k) -> MATIC bought at 1.38 (previous cost basis was 1.68, new cost basis is 1.57)

Eth is the one I want, but I want to resurrect MATIC from the doldrums more and get that number into the green. There was a time when my MATIC cost basis was .97, then I dropped a huge buy on it at 2.70 at the peak of the rollercoaster, which bumped it to a 1.68 average. If MATIC drops more I'll get more of it, but I'm hoping it can get over that 1.57 and I can start seeing green numbers with it again.

Other than MATIC, everything I have is either up or hovering around my buy-in point (yesterday VET was like 12.30 while my cost basis is 12.50). Looks like a nice recovery from the crash.

There's a minor chance that I might have $10 in 2014 Bitcoin ($1200-1500 now) hidden somewhere. Told that story in the past, but I still haven't gotten around to investigating it yet. I have like 8-10 email addresses I'd need to resurrect and try with Coinbase.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I have an important news bulletin: Since Eth is above where I got in, I sold my remaining Eth and switched it to MATIC (which is still below where I got in) in an effort to bring that average down.
ETH will probably run before alts run, good luck!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Rajaah’s out of ETH, so I should double my position right?

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
ETH will probably run before alts run, good luck!

Yeah, kind of bummed that I don't have any BTC or Eth because they probably will run soon.

In the immortal words of Danny Glover at the end of Predator 2, "you'll get another shot"

I just need MATIC back in the green. It's the only thing dragging down my portfolio at this point.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Literally nothing about this requires a blockchain or NFTs whatsoever, and this will be dealt with via traditional politics.
I agree about the solution and that it doesn't -require- a Blockchain, but this is exactly what I was talking about. You were saying some stuff about me being paranoid about walled gardens being generated using the Blockchain... that's exactly what this is. NFT digital ID's will be used for this.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You were saying some stuff about me being paranoid about walled gardens being generated using the Blockchain... that's exactly what this is.

No, it isn't. The blockchain is not creating walled gardens in this situation at all, people are. These walled gardens would exist without any blockchain technology, thus they are definitely not "generated" by it. This is not a crypto issue whatsoever. Any walled garden you can create in the crypto space can be copied and made public.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
It gets more dystopian when you consider the privacy and control aspects of having an NFT as a "digital ID" that is attached to your real identity and required for use of various online services. A true walled garden environment could be created where only those that comply with a set of guidelines could participate in society. This latter use case is more likely to manifest first IMO.

If a verification checkpoint checked you digital ID and required the "vaccinated" flag for example ZKP would simply allow that query to be done without disclosing your "degenerate gamer" tag as well.

If you don't think systems will be created to enforce compliance then you're not paying attention.
1630351011610.png

The point James James is that blockchain tech is going to be used to implement trustless verification between states that an individual meets a certain criteria. If I'm not allowed to fly unless I'm vaccinated (digital passport), and the governments of the world have created a trustless system to verify that is true via blockchain, that is VERY related to this technology. We now have the ability to enforce policies on individuals worldwide without direct trust between the states doing to verification. These are the building blocks for a one world governing body to form.

We can see that vaccine passports are the first step, now build a currency on this same framework and require that currency to be used for any and all transactions the state controls, which is an ever growing list. It begins to make more sense why one would care about a truly decentralized medium of exchange and store of value in that context.

I don't really want to shit this thread up too much on the topic, but this is EXACTLY why Bitcoin was created as a censorship resistant currency. If you don't understand this you're going to get blindsided, they're telling us exactly what they're going to do.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If I'm not allowed to fly unless I'm vaccinated (digital passport), and the governments of the world have created a trustless system to verify that is true via blockchain, that is VERY related to this technology.

What the fuck does being a trustless system (i.e. I can verify the state of the NFT on chain myself) have to do with the government enforcing passport verification? Are you saying that it will be harder to forge passports and that's a bad thing? What the fuck is wrong with you?

• 1NPC
  • 1Hodjing
Reactions: 1 users