Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Sold my 0.25 bitcoin when it was at $2,950.80. I feel smart.

Probably will look into buying back in soon, but I'm thinking the slump isn't over yet.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fucking cryprominers jacking up the price of gpus.

Just for you:

Nvidia to launch graphics cards specifically designed for digital currency mining

• Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA) plans to pair with partners to release graphics cards designed for cryptocurrency miners, according to CNBC sources.
  • Cryptocurrency demands have caused Nvidia shares to more than triple in the past year but have also left the company with a part shortage for its PC market.
  • Nvidia-based graphics cards appear on partner ASUS’ new cryptocurrency mining page alongside AMD-based (NASDAQ:AMD) cards.
  • No official confirmation from any of the companies or a release date.
1498581782_asus-one.PNG

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I started looking into other coins to mine and Zcash is looking like a very strong successor to bitcoins. It can provide full transaction privacy, even to the sender. It pulls it off by using zero knowledge cryptography which allows them to validate transactions without decrypting their contents. On top of that it confirms transactions much faster! We're approaching something of a usable currency now for businesses which makes this really exciting.

Zcash - All coins are created equal.
What does Zcash mean for Ethereum & What is a zero-knowledge proof?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Ethereum under $200 today. Bitcoin holding steady at $2300 range. Litecoin only $10 off it's all-time high.

I have $0 in crypto right now. Ethereum looks like a decent pickup soon. I plan to buy a few coins around September/October and then hold. I think crypto won't get near their highs for the rest of this year, people are cashing out and putting money elsewhere or holding onto cash. Bitcoin is probably the safest but will be a while to see big gains again.

I put $50 in Litecoin in May and sold for $100 this month. The small wins are fun even if it's small dollars.

Ethereum should be $1k+/coin in a few years imo, but right now it's crashing, it'll stabilize soon I think, might hit $150 or lower yet. It was $8 in January so it's taking a major correction right now. Same shit happened to bitcoin in 2013 when it hit 1k for the first time and then crashed back down to the $200 range.

Pops

Just for you:

Nvidia to launch graphics cards specifically designed for digital currency mining

• Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA) plans to pair with partners to release graphics cards designed for cryptocurrency miners, according to CNBC sources.
  • Cryptocurrency demands have caused Nvidia shares to more than triple in the past year but have also left the company with a part shortage for its PC market.
  • Nvidia-based graphics cards appear on partner ASUS’ new cryptocurrency mining page alongside AMD-based (NASDAQ:AMD) cards.
  • No official confirmation from any of the companies or a release date.
1498581782_asus-one.PNG
Levi Strauss.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
wow, Ethereum was at $136 yesterday and Bitcoin was in the $1,800s. Both rebounded slightly today, but I'd be wary of buying any crypto right now.

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Depends on your investment strategy. I'm in this for a super long, so I could give two shits, but if I were just jumping in today I would take the current correction as a great time to hop in. Ether (IMO) is still inflated as there really isn't the same market adoption you see with Bitcoin (it should be somewhere around 20% market cap of bitcoin but is still in the 50% range). My investment strategy is that both Bitcoin and Ether will be successful.

Bitcoin will serve as a more stable (although slower moving) digital currency, while Ether will get into business markets where it's smart transactions allow businesses to code contracts in such a way that some people's (purchasing) jobs are replaced and a significantly larger transaction capacity than Bitcoin. The smart contracts come with a risk as the extra functionality is also exploitable (which is why I think Bitcoin will still hang around to stockpile reserves); the DAO attack (which led to a split of the Ether blockchain) won't be the last major exploit of the currency.

It's all new and crazy, don't invest your life savings. But it isn't impossible to think that a digital currency will earn a major spot in the world economy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Per my posts above, I sold everything at their highs, I'm giving it a couple months to assess the situation.

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
The whole potential split thing on August 1st has me convinced to just sell everything off before that I think. I've read some articles on it and sounds like it's more involved than I would want to get at the moment. I generally just leave my coin's on the exchange that I use, but reading things that are basically saying if the exchange picks the wrong fork for you you can lose everything, and you need to get things into your own personal wallet so that if/when it splits I would have bitcoin on both forks or something just seems super involved and I would expect a decent chunk of other casual type's like myself to feel similarly. Not sure if I want to just go ahead and clear it out or wait till a little closer to time yet though.

Anyone understand the split stuff better and have a valid argument for holding onto this stuff atm? I'm fairly likely to rebuy a chunk in a month or so after after the split I guess but just the logistics of this stuff seem more involved than I'm willing to deal with unless there's some huge upside that I'm missing.

edit: by "everything" I mean I have a little spread across BTC ETH and LTC atm.

woot!

Trakanon Raider
basically saying if the exchange picks the wrong fork for you you can lose everything, and you need to get things into your own personal wallet so that if/when it splits I would have bitcoin on both forks or something just seems super involved and I would expect a decent chunk of other casual type's like myself to feel similarly.
The idea behind getting your xbt out of the exchanges and onto your own soft/hard wallet was also that some of the exchanges are not supporting bitcoin cash at all.
This roughly translates into : you get robbed out of something you would have owned had you been in control of the private keys.
How it works (well "worked" since this fork is now done, but this remains valid for other future forks, on whatever cryptocurrency) :
say pre fork you own 1 xbt
*fork happens*
you now own 1 xbt + 1bch (BitCoin Cash) on the "new" blockchain (because it has already be mined up to this point, they are not resetting the whole thing, but from this point on and forward, the rest of the chains will be different)
So essentially, exchanges saying "we are not supporting btc" are not giving you the 1bch you would normally rightfully own.

Note that you have not by any means doubled your money. Bitcoin Cash's value will probably be much lower than xbt. Also xbt's value might go down for whatever random reason, and your 1xbt + 1bch's total value translated in fiat might be lower that what you could have gotten had you cashed out your 1xbt pre-fork. Or it's value might have tripled, who knows ! :p
The important thing here is, as Arative said : control your keys (not only for forks, but also because the exchange itself might get hacked, it has happened before several times)

Last edited:

Arative

Vyemm Raider
The Bitcoin cash is trading around $400 right now. I expect that to drop as a lot of people dump it. I think cash coin is only at 5% of the hash rate.

I don't think I'm going to access the cash coins i have but it depends on the price. You have to clone your wallet and the cash code uses the same folders as the Bitcoin folder, so you have to watch that.

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
The Bitcoin cash is trading around $400 right now. I expect that to drop as a lot of people dump it. I think cash coin is only at 5% of the hash rate.

I don't think I'm going to access the cash coins i have but it depends on the price. You have to clone your wallet and the cash code uses the same folders as the Bitcoin folder, so you have to watch that.

As Coinbase dumps it, lol. Seriously do not know how much Bitcoin they had in reserve but to have access to the Bitcoin Cash and say you are not interested in trading in that market when it is likely valued at tens of millions of USD is a bit hard to believe. Also will be interested to see if there is legal precedent (have been seeing comparisons to a stock split and the broker keeping the new share).

Interestingly the total value is up considerably after the fork ($3258.62 at this writing) and BitCoin Cash is the 3rd largest market cap in all Crypto just behind Ether now. Almost like Bitcoin forgot that it lost part of its market cap and people are still trading like it didn't and it is hard to imagine BitCoin Cash having enough integration to be valued as highly already.